• Please log in to reply
133 replies to this topic

#81 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:35 PM

And I replied, and then Joe posted a comment referencing your post!  It's visible now!

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#82 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:26 AM

Here is an article from May. What hypocrites. :headshake:

https://www.theverge...y-purge-expanse

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#83 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,627 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:19 AM

Hypocrits?  I think you've just defined "Show Business".

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#84 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

^ Yeah.  But there's just so many infuriating lies in that article. :angry:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#85 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Today's mission:

DarkMatterFTL

#TeamRaza will pull 2gether. Let's refocus everyone on what we love about #DarkMatter & why you love science fiction. Who inspired U?
11:02 PM - 20 Sep 2017

9-21-17 - team - DKN1P6DV4AAPDEY.jpg

Since we don't know who is considering this miniseries option for #DarkMatter let's drop the @ to any provider. It might hurt the cause.
11:03 PM - 20 Sep 2017

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#86 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:21 PM

I posted this today.  It is a long twitter thread, so click and scroll down to read:

https://twitter.com/...910376019136512

Also, a few days ago, I posted this.  I realized I had the perfect anthem for this fandom!  It is also a thread, so listen to the song but also scroll down for the rest of my comments:

https://twitter.com/...240931412144128

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#87 Shaun

Shaun
  • Islander
  • 788 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:52 PM

I don't think anyone should be too hard on those Syfy Wire editors and writers for not covering what's been happening. Given their employer they may not be in a position where they can write about it.

At this point crossing fingers that the miniseries idea is greenlit and we at least get a conclusion to the series.

However even if it doesn't pan out we still have those 39 episodes which did get filmed that we can still enjoy and lots of friends have been made while the series was running, and in the last few weeks too. Nothing can change that fact.
Shaun
Veni, vidi, vici

#88 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 05:24 PM

^^  When Blastr changed to SyFy Wire, they promised that they would be independent and not just a mouthpiece for Sciffy. And yet I don't think they've even announced Dark Matter's cancellation, let alone the fan campaign.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#89 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 07:25 AM

September 21, 2017: Let’s do a Dark Matter mailbag!

Anyway, following my four hour mid-afternoon nap, I jumped online and discovered the Dark Matter Council was in the midst of another fabulous twitter campaign, perhaps my favorite yet –

I’m amazed by all of you who were inspired by many of the same mainstays of sci-fi that led me down this road.  Asimov, Clarke, Ellison, Alien, The Thing, Planet of the Apes, Star Trek: The Original Series…to name but a few.

I’m also touched and grateful to those of you who mentioned my name and my work, alongside those of my incredible cast and crew, as one of the things you love about Dark Matter.

Tomorrow night, we launch another tweet storm (9 pm EDT/6 pm PDT) to batter twitter…and whoever you care to tag with our deluge of ten of thousands of tweets!  Who, hunh?  Who, HUNH?!  WHO?!!  Follow @DarkMatterFTL for all the latest and tomorrow’s secret hashtag!

But before we storm the castle yet again, I’m going to dedicate this blog to you, the fans, and your healthy curiosity.  Got some burning questions about the campaign, yours truly, or anything Dark Matter-related?  Well post them in the comments section because I’ll be wading in with answer, ANSWERS, ANSWERS!!!

Dark Matter Playback Operator Greg Whiteside meanwhile (follow him here: @Videogreg1) has sent me a slew of Dark Matter-related graphics!  I’ll be tweeting them out throughout the event!

He then goes on to answer various questions posted in the comments below.  Lot's of interesting stuff, but here are a few that stand out:

“Dear Mr. Mallozzi,
Hope you’re feeling better soon! I had 2 questions…I am so worried that this last chance will fall through and hope we can help make a difference.
1. when will you get an update on Dark Matter from the final suitor?
2. Is there anything we the fans can do to help encourage them to make this happen?
Thank you as always for your kindness and honesty with us! We love your work!
-Scott”

1. Hey, Scott. It could take up to a month to know if this miniseries proposal is going to fly.
2. Keep doing what you’ve been doing. Make noise online. It makes a huge difference.

:o

“OK, Boss. One question I’ve always wondered about that applies to many characters on many shows:
Was killing off One part of the original plan, or was the death of One a change brought on by contract, personality, other offers, or what (if you even CAN discuss such things, as both you and he are professionals whose public conduct towards each other and all cast/crew is founded on a balance of professional reputation and trust, even during disagreements)?
Follow-up: IF killing One off was part of a larger planned event, would Corso make a return to the storyline in S04 or S05?
I know this could create spoilers, should the very best possible outcome happen…. But please, feel free to tease us. I think we’ve all both earned it, and can take it :)

As I’ve already mentioned elsewhere, the killing off of ONE was not part of my original plan and was not brought on by contract, personality, or other offers. Marc Bendavid is a fantastic actor and friend and if I had my way, would still be on the show. It was a battle I fought but didn’t win – that I still regret. As for why? A desire to shake things up.
I actually wanted to bring Marc back for an episode in season 3 but, due to a scheduling conflict, had to scrap the story and come up with another script in short notice – what turned out to be Episode 309, “Isn’t That A Paradox?”

This is vague, but kind of sounds like TPTB wanted a "shocking death". :headshake:

There is lots more, but I don't have time to read farther this morning. :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 September 2017 - 07:26 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#90 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:52 PM

So apparently we have to keep up this momentum for a month, without slipping!  Sounds exhausting, but we can do it!  (It's a marathon, not a sprint?) ;)

Tonight's event - stay tuned for the secret hashtag:

We launch another tweet storm (9 pm EDT/6 pm PDT) to batter twitter. There will be a contest to win prizes!
10:49 AM - 22 Sep 2017

9-22-17 - event - 3wFWOrdL.jpg

And here are the international times:

To the international fans: thank you! You’re the reason the world lights up with Dark Matter hastags.
11:06 AM - 22 Sep 2017

9-22-17 - international - WuyywXLw.jpg

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 September 2017 - 02:28 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#91 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 02:34 PM

DarkMatterFTL
Are you ready??? Remember 2 prizes tonight to be awarded AND AND AND if we break 100.1K tweets in 1 hr we will have a BONUS prize.
12:01 PM - 22 Sep 2017

DarkMatterFTL
We will have a special project announcement after the tweetstorm tonight. Maybe 2 hours after since U all love tweeting past the 1 hr. LOL
3:15 PM - 22 Sep 2017

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 September 2017 - 02:46 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#92 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:47 PM

Well, that sheds some light on the fate of One, I guess.

Something occurred to me today, and I don't know if it's come up before-- SFG, I'm sure you will know. But, in light of recent revivals of other shows, I wonder if anybody has considered a Kickstarter to supplement funding from any of these proposed backers.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#93 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:14 PM

^ I have seen several people mention that. The answer seems to be that it is not practical.

I'm not sure if there are legal restrictions due to existing deals or not, but Joe's most recent answer reference how much shows like this tend to cost.  Something like: Game of Thrones costs $10 million per episode, Dark Matter costs less than a third of that.

There are a number of people who have offered, in a variety contexts.  Someone suggested it to fill the budget gap that caused deal #2 to fall through, and another hoped to fund keeping the sets standing while negotiations were pending.  I think if it could be helpful in this case, it would have moved past idea stage by now.

Just think about the scale for example: The petition currently has 42,674 signatures.  If each person on that list gave an average of $10, they would have just over $400,000.  They would need ten times that much just to make one episode.

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#94 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 08:28 PM

Tonight's hashtag. We will send Android after you if you use this before the time it says on the graphic. Please Add @Syfy & @BillMcGold
8:18 PM - 22 Sep 2017

we are the raza - DKXh7CRUEAAxxkx.jpg

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#95 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 10:15 PM

Trended in Canada!  And briefly in the US I think?

Next up:

DarkMatterFTL
Here is the fun hashtag for Saturday, Sep 23. Example: "Never eat off Three's plate" or "Never sneak up on Two" Optional participation.
11:07 PM - 22 Sep 2017

donts - DKYJzIPUEAEPULx.jpg

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 22 September 2017 - 10:15 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#96 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,942 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 22 September 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

Someone suggested it to fill the budget gap that caused deal #2 to fall through,  
That's exactly what I was thinking.  Plus, it occurred to me that a highly successful Kickstarter would make more of an impression on potential partners than Tweetstorms, because people are putting their money where their mouth is. Some Kickstarters have raised huge amounts of money, and not just for known quantities like Veronica Mars and Mystery Science Theater, but also for fresh concepts like Marc Scott Zicree's Space Command and Chris Mihm's musical (not to mention a bunch of fan films). A Kickstarter could add a couple of episodes to a 6-8 episode miniseries deal, or even pad it out to a full season.

#97 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 10:48 PM

Oh wow.  It's all over.  :crybaby:

September 23, 2017: The End

All good things must come to an end – some much sooner than expected.  Sadly, such is the case for Dark Matter. Despite word of the cancellation by syfy, fandom rose up and gave us new hope. We sought to buck the odds and find our little show a new home.  But unfortunately, I just learned that our final option has proven unworkable due to contractual issues.  It’s a shame because these potential saviors reached out to me and offered a creative solution that, had it worked, would have been a sci-fi fan’s dream scenario.  But, alas, it was not to be.  In time, I would love to tell you all about it.

As for what’s next for Dark Matter?  My first choice would be to complete the story in comic book format where it originally began, but I’ve just started to look into the possibility now.  Beyond that, I’m not sure.

Thank you to my cast and crew who made it all possible.

And an especially HUGE THANK YOU to all of you, the viewers and fans, who made Dark Matter one of syfy’s most watched shows and who rallied and made your voices heard these past few weeks.

I said it before and I’ll say it again…

You all deserved better.

:cry:

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#98 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:03 PM

Twitter has become a fountain of loving tributes of all kinds, of thanks to cast and crew, and much tears and sorrow and anger.  So many beautiful posts.  I might post a few favorites here later.  There are some that have cast members in tears from reading them.

But yes, this time we spent, as fans and cast and crew, all coming together and sharing our passion these last few weeks, has been so amazing.  It is something special that can never be taken away, and that is what we will remember when we think of the end of the show.  At least it is a better last memory than the cliffhanger it ended on.

One more event is being planned, as a final tribute to the show:

tribute - DKb_sNcV4AAMNHT.jpg

Here is all the info on Special Project in a graphic. #DarkMatter Only ppl who send it to email address by deadline will be included.
5:02 PM - 23 Sep 2017

We've gotten 12 pictures already. Great job team! Keep it going.
7:41 PM - 23 Sep 2017

Two notes that I have seen mentioned: 1) This is meant to be a picture of yourself with a sign that says "#WeAretheRaza".  2) I think they will correct the date to friday the 29th, once there are fewer tears to see through. :cry:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 23 September 2017 - 11:04 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#99 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,989 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 11:08 PM

Also, I am hoping I can still filk that song I posted as an anthem to the fandom.

Maybe I can tell the whole story of the fandom coming together, in the form of a rousing singalong song. #RazaWillRiseAgain

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#100 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,627 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:36 AM

Or maybe call the tune "Viva la Raza" ;)

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 24 September 2017 - 07:49 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Matter, Fan campaign

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users