• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:45 PM

This has been going on a couple days now, over an acquittal of a cop who killed a black person.

It looks like after arrests and/or clearing the streets the cops adopted a BLM(?) chant "Whose's streets, our streets!"

Typically, how I understand it when peaceful demonstrators use it, they mean as our as "we the people" kind of thing. If I were to be overly deferential to the cop's, I *could* say that maybe they meant they secured it for "we the people" and peaceful people, having gotten rid of the rioters… Even putting aside its unprofessionalism, I think that is a very tricky stance for a authoritative body to adopt. At least in a democracy. The streets belong to the public.

There are even cop groups pushing against these cop's behaviour, per The Guardian:

The chant drew criticism, however, from protesters, activists and some police officers. In a statement, Sgt Heather King, president of the Ethical Order of Police, a group founded by African American officers, said: “That chant goes against the very code of ethics we swore to abide by.

“Whether we agree with demonstrations, protests or acts of violence, it is our job to do our job free of personal bias.”
On Twitter on Monday, the group said: “We are human and we will make mistakes. We are also people who have the last word, which can be – arrest, freedom, or death. No need 2 chant.”

Here is the WaPo article.

Edited by sierraleone, 18 September 2017 - 09:12 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

This is yet another example of a blatant murder by cop followed by a free pass courtesy the good ol' boys network.

What amazes me is the backlash has been remarkably restrained.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 11:47 AM

I saw the protests on the news, and at first I dismissed it as yet another anti cop protest. I mean, let's be real, there's one a day it seems like. What got me was when they showed the video of the cop in question saying out loud: "We're going to kill this MFer." Combined with the FACT that ONLY the cop's DNA was on the weapon recovered. Yes, I would expect the Cop's finger prints and DNA on the weapon, if he took it from the car without wearing gloves. However, I would also expect the suspect's DNA to be on a weapon that is suppose to be his.

So we have a cop saying he was going to kill the guy, combined with a weapon that has ONLY the cop's DNA on it, and nobody else's. How in the world this cop got off is beyond me.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#4 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:16 PM

It's not beyond anyone: cops are above the law.

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

View PostOmega, on 04 October 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

It's not beyond anyone: cops are above the law.

I am sure they are greatly inconvenienced at some having to appear to go through the justice system….
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#6 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 20 September 2017 - 11:47 AM, said:

I saw the protests on the news, and at first I dismissed it as yet another anti cop protest. I mean, let's be real, there's one a day it seems like. What got me was when they showed the video of the cop in question saying out loud: "We're going to kill this MFer." Combined with the FACT that ONLY the cop's DNA was on the weapon recovered. Yes, I would expect the Cop's finger prints and DNA on the weapon, if he took it from the car without wearing gloves. However, I would also expect the suspect's DNA to be on a weapon that is suppose to be his.

So we have a cop saying he was going to kill the guy, combined with a weapon that has ONLY the cop's DNA on it, and nobody else's. How in the world this cop got off is beyond me.

And this is the problem. We have great police in this country, but we also have some low life scum that pass as being police. No one has a clue which type they are being exposed to at a traffic stop, on the sidewalk, etc... This is something that needs to be tended to.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users