• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:21 AM

Did anyone read/watch coverage of Trump's rally stumping, in the primary, for one Republican candidate, Luther Strange, to replace Sessions in the senate? I don't know how much Trump helped Strange's cause.

Looking at other parts of the speech the idea that Trump is not racist gets more and more strained.

WaPo: Donald Trump profanely implores NFL owners to 'fire' players protesting national anthem.

“Wouldn’t you love to see one of these NFL owners,” wondered the president, “when somebody disrespects our flag, to say, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field right now, out. He’s fired. He’s fired!’ ”
….
Trump also said such an owner would “be the most popular person in this country. Because that’s a total disrespect of our heritage. That’s a total disrespect for everything we stand for.” He added that if fans were to “leave the stadium” in response to a protest, “I guarantee things will stop.”
​….
“Today, if you hit too hard, 15 yards, throw him out of the game,” he said while  mimicking the act of an official throwing a penalty flag. “They’re ruining the game, right? They’re ruining the game. It’s hurting the game.”

I only including the last part because, if he is aware of it, it is utterly insensitive to say considering how CTE is in the news right now….

As for the first parts…. Compare his treatment of the peacefully silently demonstrating black NFL players to his treatment of the violent rhetoric demonstrated by the KKK/Neo-Nazi/WhiteSupremacist/Separatist/Nationalists in Charlottesville a month ago that lead to actual violence and one death…  "Some very fine people" on both sides, he said. But these black NFL players peacefully silently demonstrating are sons of bitches, disrespecting our heritage and everything we stand for…..

Trump condemns one type of demonstrator in much more strong language than another… I wonder why that is….

So, Trump is trashing the NFL, from the owners to the players to the officials to possibly even the fans.

Can you say Pres-i-dent-ial ? I can't. Of course I haven't been able to see anything matching that word in the U.S. in the last 9 months now.

How does this demonstrate the President upholding the constitution, that is, in this case, the first amendment?

There are some things that are terrible and/or unwise to say no matter who you are, even if one has a right to say it. And by all means, people have a right to say them. Heck, I'd prefer it, it allows them to be truly seen if that is how they feel.

Yes, Trump, like everyone else, has freedom of speech.

However, when one is in a position of responsibility or power it is toxic, irresponsible/reckless, and worse, to speak as Trump is speaking.

Edited by sierraleone, 23 September 2017 - 06:52 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 05:18 PM

As for those NFL players who take the knee, during the National Anthem, I really don't see what the big deal is. They are simply "Bending the Knee" to their betters, to those who are far superior to themselves.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 23 September 2017 - 05:18 PM, said:

As for those NFL players who take the knee, during the National Anthem, I really don't see what the big deal is. They are simply "Bending the Knee" to their betters, to those who are far superior to themselves.

Emphasis mine. Who are those exactly that you think they are bending their knees to? Who are quote/unquote their betters?

From what little I can tell from your words it would seem that you are intentional re-interpreting what they are doing to suite your whims and paradigm. We know why Colin Kaepernick has said he has been "bending the knee".

Edited for Kaepernick spelling.

Edited by sierraleone, 23 September 2017 - 07:29 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#4 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:07 PM

Who would these players in your mind be genuflecting toward as their far better superiors, LoTS? You?  People in general? Zod? White people in general? The Queen Mother? King Arthur? Their coaches? Their mothers? Non-football players? People who refuse to kneel? Don't leave us hanging, LoTS. Who are superior and in what way to these kneeling football players?

Edited by yadda yadda, 23 September 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#5 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:22 PM

45 is simply a troll on fire. An unrestrained troll equipped with presidential power just getting off on f--king with anyone he wants, eliciting all those reactions so delicious to his troll vampirish appetite. He feels he can virtually lash out at anyone he doesn't like or isn't beholden to. It makes him feel like a god, emotionally flogging himself to frenzied ecstasy and stirring the pot...the big presidential pot stirrer. If 45 could ever wish for a super power it would be to do what he's doing now, using Twitter and his stump speeches to attack anyone and everyone with presumed impunity. Right now he's wallowing like a pig in sh!t in his make believe world, on top of the heap looking down on all those people, countries, companies that cross him or fall under his far reaching gaze. He is in his heaven.

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

^ He could have done the same as a public, albeit obscenely privileged, citizen. The difference now is that *everyone* feels they have to pay attention (for fear of their country) and that they have to react, and Trump is addicted to the attention and stimulation.

That is probably one of his biggest pet peeves. My understanding is much of NY elite wouldn't let him in the club, and ignored him as best they could. They could afford to. Trump was sour over it. Now people feel that can't afford to ignore Trump.

- Masha Gessen

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:34 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 23 September 2017 - 07:03 PM, said:

Emphasis mine. Who are those exactly that you think they are bending their knees to? Who are quote/unquote their betters?

From what little I can tell from your words it would seem that you are intentional re-interpreting what they are doing to suite your whims and paradigm. We know why Colin Kaepernick has said he has been "bending the knee".

Who would these players in your mind be genuflecting toward as their far better superiors, LoTS? You?  People in general? Zod? White people in general? The Queen Mother? King Arthur? Their coaches? Their mothers? Non-football players? People who refuse to kneel? Don't leave us hanging, LoTS. Who are superior and in what way to these kneeling football players?          

Their betters are the men and women who fought and died so people in America have the freedoms they have. Am I deliberately reinterpreting the meaning behind their Bending the Knee? Absolutely. I choose to look at it in a more positive light. Rather then look at them disrespecting the Flag and the men and women who died giving them their very freedom, I choose to look at it in a more positive manner: Them Bending the Knee to their betters. Would this reinterpretation piss them off, if they heard it? Probably so, which would just make that the icing on the cake as it were.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#8 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 02:22 AM

^ Do you have any idea of why Kaepernick took a knee during the Anthem? What he has expressed as his reason?

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:02 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 24 September 2017 - 01:34 AM, said:

Their betters are the men and women who fought and died so people in America have the freedoms they have. Am I deliberately reinterpreting the meaning behind their Bending the Knee? Absolutely. I choose to look at it in a more positive light. Rather then look at them disrespecting the Flag and the men and women who died giving them their very freedom, I choose to look at it in a more positive manner: Them Bending the Knee to their betters. Would this reinterpretation piss them off, if they heard it? Probably so, which would just make that the icing on the cake as it were.

Their betters are the men and women who fought and died so people in America have the freedoms they have.

My grandfather, a WWI vet, would have punched you in the face for that. Literally. Even then, I'm sure you still wouldn't get it.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#10 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:26 AM

PODUNK is doing us all a huge favour, in my view. People are getting a clear view of just how bad it can get under the jackboot of a petty tyrant. The only question with any meaning is whether (or not) the GOP will clean its own house after Trump gets shown the door. It's a certainty they won't admit to their part in all this, unless McCain is still around to remind them about Ethics and accountability.

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 24 September 2017 - 02:22 AM, said:

^ Do you have any idea of why Kaepernick took a knee during the Anthem? What he has expressed as his reason?

I know why the now unemployed Kaepernick claimed he was Bending the Knee.

What I do find kind of ironic is that when Tim Tebow Bent the Knee to honor GOD, he got punished for it. But apparently it has become PC to try and disrespect the Flag and the Country. Bending the Knee to honor GOD is a no no, Bending the Knee to disrespect the Flag and Country...all good. What these wannabe political activist/players seem to forget is that sports is a BUSINESS. The bottom line is all about the money the teams and sport bring in. With NFL viewership and game attendence down, my guess is it won't be long before owners of the teams crack down and crack down hard. Alienating and pissing off half of your customers does NOT make for a good business model. Hence part of the reason why Kaepernick is now unemployed.

#12 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:42 AM

The reinterpretation bothers me. You are not looking at it in a more positive light. You are choosing to deflect/ignore the reason they are doing this, so that you can try to ignore the problems they are trying to bring attention to.

If you were to go up to them and tell them "thank you for taking a knee to your betters, the men and women in uniform who have fought for you freedom to honour them by standing *or* kneeling for the anthem" you are gas-lighting them. *laughs* and yourself. Self gas-lighting, that is what you are doing.

.... If only Christians saw gay people entering life-long monogamous relationships as wanting to honour Christian marriage rites. ...

Also, men and women in uniform are NOT anyone's betters. They are human, like you and me. Some of them beat their spouses and kids, or have raped people. To honour the troops and/or their service you don't have to lick their boots and worship them.

I would not be surprised if you don't just mean military but law enforcement officers as well.

Edited by sierraleone, 24 September 2017 - 07:45 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#13 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 24 September 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Claimed? So either he is lying and/or you really are self gas-lighting. This could explain so much….

Edited by sierraleone, 24 September 2017 - 07:49 AM.

- Masha Gessen

#14 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 12:33 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 24 September 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

What I do find kind of ironic is that when Tim Tebow Bent the Knee to honor GOD, he got punished for it. But apparently it has become PC to try and disrespect the Flag and the Country. Bending the Knee to honor GOD is a no no, Bending the Knee to disrespect the Flag and Country...all good. What these wannabe political activist/players seem to forget is that sports is a BUSINESS. The bottom line is all about the money the teams and sport bring in. With NFL viewership and game attendence down, my guess is it won't be long before owners of the teams crack down and crack down hard. Alienating and pissing off half of your customers does NOT make for a good business model. Hence part of the reason why Kaepernick is now unemployed.

I honestly don't understand the significance of you capitalizing this "Bending Of The Knee" business. Does this have some special meaning or bearing I'm unaware of pertinent to the discussion? If you're aware of why Kaepernick says he is taking a knee/Knee during the playing of the anthem why can't you state it? Why do you feel you have a right to reinterpret the man's true feelings and beliefs in whatever bizarre way you invent, instead of the heartfelt words he has spoken? He doesn't intend any disrespect to servicemen or women, or any fellow citizen. He is trying to bring attention to the fact that citizens who look like him are being murdered, shot down in the streets like dogs. He thinks people need to have their attention drawn to that fact and by protesting in the manner he does it will draw attention to this problem of injustice and perhaps wake up people like you who consider black people crying out against being systematically murdered as racists trying to put their race first, above all.

We will see this morning and afternoon if your theory about an NFL crackdown on kneelers or other forms of anthem protest bears out. I don't think it will. Robert Kraft, owner of the Super Bowl Champion Patriots has already issued a statement telling his good friend 45 to basically shut his pie hole and stop agitating divisiveness and interfering with the league's business model. I think you will see mass protests today throughout the NFL of players telling your president dotard to shove his hateful divisive scapegoating rhetoric where the sun don't shine.

#15 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 01:52 PM

When you're dealing with Hate, you might as well check anything resembling Reason at the door. Hate is mindless. It's about itself, an emotion, and nothing else. When Trump squawks and yacks and barks and spews, his followers follow suit. There's nothing going on in their empty heads except one simple emotion- Hate. You might as well be dealing with legions of barking dogs, for all the sense there is to be made of it.

#16 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 24 September 2017 - 12:33 PM, said:

I honestly don't understand the significance of you capitalizing this "Bending Of The Knee" business. Does this have some special meaning or bearing I'm unaware of pertinent to the discussion? If you're aware of why Kaepernick says he is taking a knee/Knee during the playing of the anthem why can't you state it? Why do you feel you have a right to reinterpret the man's true feelings and beliefs in whatever bizarre way you invent, instead of the heartfelt words he has spoken? He doesn't intend any disrespect to servicemen or women, or any fellow citizen. He is trying to bring attention to the fact that citizens who look like him are being murdered, shot down in the streets like dogs. He thinks people need to have their attention drawn to that fact and by protesting in the manner he does it will draw attention to this problem of injustice and perhaps wake up people like you who consider black people crying out against being systematically murdered as racists trying to put their race first, above all.

Because his stated reason for doing so is BS. How does kneeling during the National Anthem bring attention to alleged racism of police? Answer: It doesn't.

As for my capitalizing Bending the Knee, that's just my own personal quirk.

We will see this morning and afternoon if your theory about an NFL crackdown on kneelers or other forms of anthem protest bears out. I don't think it will. Robert Kraft, owner of the Super Bowl Champion Patriots has already issued a statement telling his good friend 45 to basically shut his pie hole and stop agitating divisiveness and interfering with the league's business model. I think you will see mass protests today throughout the NFL of players telling your president dotard to shove his hateful divisive scapegoating rhetoric where the sun don't shine.

Oh I have no doubt about there being mass Bending of the Knees. And as for Robert Kraft...We will have to see if he sticks by his convictions when fans start staying away in droves, and his bottom dollar line starts to get smaller and smaller. We'll see if he has the courage of his convictions when he is loosing massive amounts of money. My guess is he won't.

#17 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

LoTS, you're not making any sense. Why would Kaepernick's focus on the unwarranted violence being perpetrated on African-Americans be BS? Because you think black thugs need to be kept in their place, shot for being out of line? The shootings go on, you seem to think black folks voicing their anger against the carnage is racist, that their lives shouldn't matter to them more than others dying of non-violent causes. Every once in awhile even you admit these murderous cops had no right to shoot a black victim, but crap on blacks tired of the trend by dismissing them as racist.

You've mentioned more than once about how you won't stand for antifa-like protestors threatening you, your family, or friends while you're driving in your car. That you'd run right over them. And you threatened social violence if Obama tried to overturn an election of Trump. What would YOU do or say if it was not antifa or Obama threatening your loved ones but trigger happy police? What would you do or say if your people kept being shot for no reason by police officers? Think about it. If police kept shooting down a different LoTS family member or friend over and over just because would you still have ultimate respect for those police or would you say or do anything to get them to stop killing your people? What if they were out of control black, Latino, or Chinese cops shooting your family members because they were racist and hated and feared whites? And the judicial system just kept exonerating their killings and letting them go with no adverse consequences?

And as far as Kaepernick's kneeling during the anthem bringing attention to his cause, it totally has. To many people, just not those so thick headed with prejudice and preconception as to understand his true feelings but dismiss them as BS because their heads have been filled by outside influence and airwave agitators to fear, hate, and mistrust other human beings who don't look exactly like they do.

Edited by yadda yadda, 24 September 2017 - 07:05 PM.

#18 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 08:30 PM

Trump has basically made (intentionally or not) no matter what NFL players do a trap, and in relation to Trump instead of patriotism and/or demonstrating. And who knows, perhaps Trump is making a list of enemies based on this….

Having made whatever NFL players do during the national anthem political - and in relation to Trump -, looks like all player today have chosen to respond, along with some higher-ups such as coaches and what-not.

- Some have chosen to kneel. Since they haven't all said why they are kneeling they could be doing it for the same reasons as Kaepernick, or it could just be in support of the first amendment, or just a big F-U to Trump, or another reason.
- Some have chosen to stand but link arms/elbows. I presume a show of solidarity, and not with Trump (or they would have done their normal stand presumably).
- Some, probably rightly seeing this as a trap which whatever position they took during the anthem would be politicized, so decided to remove themselves from the situation and stay in their locker room during the anthem.

- Masha Gessen

#19 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2017 - 09:08 PM

Reading WaPo: This is what the flag stands for, Mr. President

But then, when Mr. Trump tweets that players should “stop disrespecting our Flag & Country,” it becomes clear: In some ways, there is nothing more important than his misguided understanding of how to truly respect the flag. Some NFL players have been participating in a fraught, challenging debate about race, policing and criminal justice, and Mr. Trump is offended by this. His response: fire the players who don’t share his views. Demand conformity and uniformity.

Emphasis mine. I don't think Trump is the only one, unfortunately, that is offended by people bringing attention to injustice.

What’s offensive here is not what Mr. Trump thinks about Mr. Kaepernick. At this point, honestly, who cares? But when the president uses his bully pulpit to declare some speech legitimate and some beyond the pale; when his response to protest is to question patriotism rather than engage on the issue of unequal policing — then it is Mr. Trump who “disrespects our Flag & our Country.”

As Justice Jackson wrote three-quarters of a century ago, “If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein.”

- Masha Gessen

#20 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 08:46 AM

View Postyadda yadda, on 24 September 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

LoTS, you're not making any sense. Why would Kaepernick's focus on the unwarranted violence being perpetrated on African-Americans be BS? Because you think black thugs need to be kept in their place, shot for being out of line? The shootings go on, you seem to think black folks voicing their anger against the carnage is racist, that their lives shouldn't matter to them more than others dying of non-violent causes. Every once in awhile even you admit these murderous cops had no right to shoot a black victim, but crap on blacks tired of the trend by dismissing them as racist.

The reason I said his stated reason was BS is this: When someone disrespects the flag, say in burning it. When most people see a person burning the flag, IMO most just dismiss that person as Anti American, or an American who hates his own government. Same with Bending the Knee during the National Anthem. When I see someone doing that, I just see either an American who hates the government, or a Anti American. At no point do I see a person protesting against police racism. If he wants to protest against that, there are more clearer ways to do so, ways which make clear what exactly he is protesting. Not that it matters now, since Kaepernick is currently unemployed.

I hope that came out clear.

You've mentioned more than once about how you won't stand for antifa-like protestors threatening you, your family, or friends while you're driving in your car. That you'd run right over them. And you threatened social violence if Obama tried to overturn an election of Trump. What would YOU do or say if it was not antifa or Obama threatening your loved ones but trigger happy police? What would you do or say if your people kept being shot for no reason by police officers? Think about it. If police kept shooting down a different LoTS family member or friend over and over just because would you still have ultimate respect for those police or would you say or do anything to get them to stop killing your people? What if they were out of control black, Latino, or Chinese cops shooting your family members because they were racist and hated and feared whites? And the judicial system just kept exonerating their killings and letting them go with no adverse consequences?

Bolding is mine.

First I don't have ultimate respect for cops. As a matter of fact, me and cops usually don't get along. Probably has something to do with the fact that every time I met one was usually after I broke some law. Meeting like that tends to sour feelings of friendship or respect. But when I heard BLM chanting "What do we want? Dead Cop, Fry 'em like bacon." and then cops started being assassinated for political reasons...Well, that's when I started getting more respect for the cops. As for the part I bolded, and the question you asked: If cops were targeting and killing my loved ones....Well, suffice it so say I would already either be dead or in jail.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users