POTUS's Rallies & Rantings

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:34 AM

You're still treating kneeling as a sign of disrespect. That's inherently absurd, and I'm very confident you would not have done so until told to by Trump.

#22 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 25 September 2017 - 08:46 AM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 24 September 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

LoTS, you're not making any sense. Why would Kaepernick's focus on the unwarranted violence being perpetrated on African-Americans be BS? Because you think black thugs need to be kept in their place, shot for being out of line? The shootings go on, you seem to think black folks voicing their anger against the carnage is racist, that their lives shouldn't matter to them more than others dying of non-violent causes. Every once in awhile even you admit these murderous cops had no right to shoot a black victim, but crap on blacks tired of the trend by dismissing them as racist.

The reason I said his stated reason was BS is this: When someone disrespects the flag, say in burning it. When most people see a person burning the flag, IMO most just dismiss that person as Anti American, or an American who hates his own government. Same with Bending the Knee during the National Anthem. When I see someone doing that, I just see either an American who hates the government, or a Anti American. At no point do I see a person protesting against police racism. If he wants to protest against that, there are more clearer ways to do so, ways which make clear what exactly he is protesting. Not that it matters now, since Kaepernick is currently unemployed.

I hope that came out clear.

You've mentioned more than once about how you won't stand for antifa-like protestors threatening you, your family, or friends while you're driving in your car. That you'd run right over them. And you threatened social violence if Obama tried to overturn an election of Trump. What would YOU do or say if it was not antifa or Obama threatening your loved ones but trigger happy police? What would you do or say if your people kept being shot for no reason by police officers? Think about it. If police kept shooting down a different LoTS family member or friend over and over just because would you still have ultimate respect for those police or would you say or do anything to get them to stop killing your people? What if they were out of control black, Latino, or Chinese cops shooting your family members because they were racist and hated and feared whites? And the judicial system just kept exonerating their killings and letting them go with no adverse consequences?

Bolding is mine.

First I don't have ultimate respect for cops. As a matter of fact, me and cops usually don't get along. Probably has something to do with the fact that every time I met one was usually after I broke some law. Meeting like that tends to sour feelings of friendship or respect. But when I heard BLM chanting "What do we want? Dead Cop, Fry 'em like bacon." and then cops started being assassinated for political reasons...Well, that's when I started getting more respect for the cops. As for the part I bolded, and the question you asked: If cops were targeting and killing my loved ones....Well, suffice it so say I would already either be dead or in jail.

Okay, I'm about done with discussing this with you because your answers really aren't making a whole lot of sense to me. You casually equate burning an American flag with dropping to a knee during the playing of a song. That is just plain ridiculous, partisan inflammation jacked up to max. Just wondering what it is YOU do to honor the national anthem when it comes on during a ballgame, LoTS? Do you leap to attention, hand over your heart? Do you sing along to Francis Scott Key's stirring words? Do you whip that ball cap off your head? Or do you just sit there on your couch or recliner like most of the rest of us? Maybe popping a Cheezit, Tostito, or potato chip into your mouth or swigging on a Coke or a beer? Maybe checking out the anthem singer if she's from American Idol to see if she's cute or a decent or crummy singer? Just sayin'.

Edited by yadda yadda, 25 September 2017 - 09:57 AM.

#23 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 07:10 PM

I wanted to say more on this, but I've found myself much too tired the last couple days.

Here is a WaPo article I read today: Two black Chicago police took a knee in precinct lobby - and were reprimanded.

On Monday, Clark, who has spent the past two days posting pictures of people kneeling on the streets and in living rooms, walked into a Chicago Police Department precinct. She asked two black officers on duty whether they're against racism and police brutality, and if they would take a knee with her, she wrote on Instagram. They agreed — a decision praised by many, but resulted in a reprimand by the department.

"We are aware of the photo, and we will address it in the same way we have handled previous incidents in which officers have made political statements while in uniform, with a reprimand and a reminder of department policies," Anthony Guglielmi, spokesman for the police department, said in a statement.

Chicago police officers are not allowed to participate in partisan political activities and campaigns, according to the police department.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel said Tuesday he supports the reprimand, while acknowledging the officers were caught between the need to connect with the community and follow department rules on making political statements

Emphasis mine.

So justice and injustice is a partisan political issue? So which party is for injustice and which party is for justice again?
Or has this knelling demonstration cause switched from injustice to first amendment and we need to clarify which side is for and against the first amendment?
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#24 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 26 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

There is a fine line between Patriotism and Nationalism. Crossing the line leads to goodies like Nazi Germany and Fascist Italy.

The instant a silly song and a piece of coloured rag become sacred is the same instant reality is lost in favour of rabid dogma and intolerance.

Patriotism itself is not a good thing. It's part of a divisive us-vs-them mentality that in the US takes the form of "we're the greatest wankers in the world living on the greatest piece of dirt this rock in space has to offer", which is patent nonsense.

It's thinking like that that is abuse waiting to happen. Just ask the millions of proxy victims of the Cold War when the US and the USSR were abusing the trust of their allies, creating circumstances leading to people dying everywhere across the globe except the US and the USSR.

Such thinking has turned the US into a nation of sociopaths on more than one occasion. A few examples, you ask? How about the bombing of Guatemala's capital when they nationalised their oil reserves (as did Canada- no retaliatory bombing involved that time. Not enough brown-skinned people, I guess), the genocide in East Timor at the hands of Indonesia, when Carter was signing an arms deal with Suharto. And the hits just keep on coming.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#25 Omega

Omega

Nous sommes tous Franšais

• 3,988 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 02:44 PM

POPULAR

I've got no problem with patriotism as manifested in flags and songs.  My problem is when those symbols become more important than the fact that police are murdering people and getting away with it.

#26 Cait

Cait

Democracy Dies in Darkness

• 10,772 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 04:27 PM

View PostOmega, on 27 September 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

I've got no problem with patriotism as manifested in flags and songs.  My problem is when those symbols become more important than the fact that police are murdering people and getting away with it.

This.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.

Source:
http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#27 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:08 AM

View Postsierraleone, on 26 September 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Emphasis mine.

So justice and injustice is a partisan political issue? So which party is for injustice and which party is for justice again?
Or has this knelling demonstration cause switched from injustice to first amendment and we need to clarify which side is for and against the first amendment?

Cops kneeling with this woman, supporting her "cause" or "protest" is more then being against department policy: It's a violation of the Hatch Act.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#28 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:44 AM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 28 September 2017 - 02:08 AM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 26 September 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Emphasis mine.

Cops kneeling with this woman, supporting her "cause" or "protest" is more then being against department policy: It's a violation of the Hatch Act.

I'd love to know which one of your "enlightenment sources" floated that assertion into your brain's regurgitation reflex this morning. They were Chicago cops, the kneelers. The Hatch Act pertains to federal employees, not city police. Unless you were saying that these kneeling officers somehow violated or besmirched the memory or legacy of Richard Hatch's brilliant acting career as showcased in Battlestar Galactica?

#29 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hatch . . . yes . . . cargo hatch . . . chicken hatch . . . booby hatch . . .

Attached Files

Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#30 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:57 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 September 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

I'd love to know which one of your "enlightenment sources" floated that assertion into your brain's regurgitation reflex this morning. They were Chicago cops, the kneelers. The Hatch Act pertains to federal employees, not city police. Unless you were saying that these kneeling officers somehow violated or besmirched the memory or legacy of Richard Hatch's brilliant acting career as showcased in Battlestar Galactica?

https://en.wikipedia...tch_Act_of_1939

An amendment on July 19, 1940 extended the Act to certain employees of state and local governments whose positions are primarily paid for by federal funds. It has been interpreted to bar political activity on the part of employees of state agencies administering federal unemployment insurance programs and appointed local law enforcement agency officials with oversight of federal grant funds. The Hatch Act bars state and local government employees from running for public office if any federal funds support the position, even if the position is funded almost entirely with local funds.[10]

Law Enforcement DOES receive federal funds. Hence the whole uproar about the DOJ cutting off federal funds to Sanctuary Cities. So the cops were clearly violating the Hatch Act, when they knelt and promoted their political agenda, or rather this woman's political agenda.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#31 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:50 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 28 September 2017 - 04:57 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 September 2017 - 11:44 AM, said:

https://en.wikipedia...tch_Act_of_1939

An amendment on July 19, 1940 extended the Act to certain employees of state and local governments whose positions are primarily paid for by federal funds. It has been interpreted to bar political activity on the part of employees of state agencies administering federal unemployment insurance programs and appointed local law enforcement agency officials with oversight of federal grant funds. The Hatch Act bars state and local government employees from running for public office if any federal funds support the position, even if the position is funded almost entirely with local funds.[10]

Law Enforcement DOES receive federal funds. Hence the whole uproar about the DOJ cutting off federal funds to Sanctuary Cities. So the cops were clearly violating the Hatch Act, when they knelt and promoted their political agenda, or rather this woman's political agenda.

The passage you quote in no way bolsters or supports your assertion. Read it over again. These were two Chicago city police officers. They were kneeling. You haven't shown that they were "certain" local employees whose positions were paid for primarily by federal funds. These officers were not appointed officials with oversight of federal grant funds or administering federal unemployment insurance programs. You have not shown that these officers are running for any public office. Chicago IS a sanctuary city, as has been affirmed by its mayor Rahm Emmanuel. So that pretty much puts the kibosh on your attempt to assign any meaningful federal funds to the Chicago police, per your president and his attorney general's blowhard threats.

So your whole run up to and conclusion that this kneeling incident involves the Hatch Act is spurious and invalid. Still not going to let us in on which one of your right wing misinformation ministers convinced you to put forth this error in judgmentt? No link?

Edited by yadda yadda, 28 September 2017 - 06:03 PM.

#32 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 06:08 PM

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 September 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

So your whole run up to and conclusion that this kneeling incident involves the Hatch Act is spurious and invalid. Still not going to let us in on which one of your right wing misinformation ministers convinced you to put forth this error in judgmentt? No link?

See, unlike yourself, I don't get fake news from MSNBC. And FTR, there was no media entity that misinformed me. I already knew about the Hatch Act. Also, unlike you, I don't see facts and then just say "Well that is wrong." when the facts don't support my position, something the Democrats have become expert at: Denial.

#33 yadda yadda

yadda yadda
  • Islander
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:01 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 28 September 2017 - 06:08 PM, said:

View Postyadda yadda, on 28 September 2017 - 05:50 PM, said:

See, unlike yourself, I don't get fake news from MSNBC. And FTR, there was no media entity that misinformed me. I already knew about the Hatch Act. Also, unlike you, I don't see facts and then just say "Well that is wrong." when the facts don't support my position, something the Democrats have become expert at: Denial.

Well I guess it's something that you're simply misinforming yourself, instead of farming out the process. But the overall marination you've been steeped in over the years makes concluding wrongly, as you have here, a natural progression. The "facts" you have appropriated from Wikipedia are not applicable, relevant, or supportive of your erroneous conclusion you have stated. These officers have not violated the Hatch Act going by the faux "evidence" you have provided. I could find on Wikipedia the fact that the sky is blue, most of the time. To attempt to justify the statement "Blue Lives Matter" by pointing out and conflating naturally occurring sky color would not sufficiently prove that point. It would be just as irrelevant to your baseless conflation of two police officers kneeling to a violation of the Hatch Act through some tenuous supposed grounds of police departments receiving federal funds. Trying to "prove" a point by introducing irrelevant premises is illogical and absurd.

#34 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 05:28 PM

The Hatch Act. There have been several changes to it, and in 1939 it did state that it was an act to: "Prevent Pernicious Political Activities", however, that was amended in 1993.
Did those policemen violate it? Maybe, IF they are federal employees. They were disciplined, but I suspect that will either be rescinded or it may go to court. I was unable to find anything on that department.
I did ask a local police chief, and he said they are not Federal employees. Now, maybe that's just here, I don't know.

Let's just note here, federal funding does not make a federal employee. If it did, I know a lot of farmers who would then be federal employees.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users