• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:40 PM

After the glitch of all glitches forced us to rollback to ou pre-move state (losing the posts from this weekend), this is the new glitch reporting thread.

Those whose glitches prevent posting can e-mail me at Disposable Orpheus (nospace) at gmail.

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

I see the few posts I made this afternoon are gone too.  Should I refrain from posting for now, or is that definitely the last of the resets?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:46 PM

Until just now, I was unable to get into EI. :o But so far, so good. :)

Question: If posts are lost, and they became lost after a reply was started and saved, are they posts that can be posted? It's so odd, it existed, I have it saved, but now it's gone from EI, as if it never existed. Que 'Twilight Zone' music.

And what SFG asked, too. :)

Even your (Orph) announcement thread is gone. :o
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#4 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:58 PM

You're welcome to repost, if that's what you mean

The corrupted DBs left corrupted backups. I tried several different recovery tools/ approaches. They all choked before the got to the newest posts, or I'd have Frankensteined them back in, after restoring the old DB.

The last time we moved (2007), I noted that a then-recent Gartner Group study had found that up to 75% of corporate backups were not usable. I don't know if this is still true, but I'm looking into a better recovery strategy that works with our new updated server/OS and updated programs. As Bones once said, "Damn Engineers! Always changing things!"

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Well, that probably fixes the General Media Forum issue.  And I can blame the corrupted backup for my tardy Z Nation thread.  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Mary Rose

Mary Rose

Charlie's Asthmatic Angel

• 22,265 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

Yeah, sometimes I wasn't able to get here.  I'm glad the board is back up, though.  I miss it when it is gone.  I do appreicate all you do to keep this place alive.  This board still means the world to me.  And as long as you own it, you can never leave. Bwhahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
Mary Rose, Official Missionary for the Church of Beka angst.  Please join us for worship at the EI fanfic board.  Jill-- on what my name badge should say.
Proud Andromeda and Forever Knight fanfic writer
    Posted Image           Posted Image           Posted Image
Proud parent of thriving Beka and Tracy muses
Posted Image

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:05 PM

Just FYI:

Two of the major programs were fighting each other to take over all the memory, until one or the other died.

I knew they could coexist, because 10yrs ago I ran a much busier ExIsle --plus some other domains- on a slower
CPU with half the memory.  So I told each program it could only use 1/8 of the memory (the equivalent of sending
them to their room) -- and things look good so far. Obviously I'll dole out more memory to them (to improve overall
performance) as they show they can behave themselves. Let me know if you see odd behavior. It may suggest I'm
memory-starving them too much. It always takes time to balance out the parameters on a new server.

Edited by Orpheus, 02 October 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#8 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,780 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 02 October 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

Just FYI:

Two of the major programs were fighting each other to take over all the memory, until one or the other died.

I knew they could coexist, because 01yrs ago I ran a MUCH busier ExIsle --plus some other domains- on a slower
CPU with half the memory.  So I told each program it could only use 1/8 of the memory (the equivalent of
sending them to their room) -- and things look good so far. Obviously I'll dole out more memory to them (to
improve performance) as they show they can behave themselves. Let me know if you see odd behavior. It may suggest
I'm memory-starving them too much. It always takes time to balance out the parameters on a new server.

Your format for this post shows up as "odd behavior" I don't know how to explain it but it looks odd.

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

Yes, if you'll notice the "Edited by" stamp, I was re-editing as you posted.

I'm on a home-made experimental handheld, and it's easier for me to write narrower posts, in a fixed width font,
post it, then fix the way it looks to the rest of you (in variable-width Arial). There are "better" ways, but I'm lazy

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

Well I'm glad my filk thread is still there, having just squeaked in before the server move.  That way the link I shared all over twitter is still valid!  Unfortunately I had tweaked the formatting later, and that was lost.  And of course it is past the edit window now.  I think I had only adjusted the font size on the song title.  Oh well.

As to the lost posts from the weekend, I normally sign up for email notification for all posts, so I could repost some of other people's posts that way, if nobody minds.  Ironically it won't have any of my posts, and the formatting and quotes will be a little wonky, but the content will be there.  Would that be helpful?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

Sure, that sounds better than truly losing those posts -- to me. Any objections from others? I should probably ask this as a separate thread.

Re: your filk
I don't recall where/how I set the editing time window, but I thought I removed it from the Create Forums. Or maybe I only removed it from FanFic.
If not, PM me with the edits you'd like made

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 05:09 PM

^^  I think that's a brilliant idea.

Not a glitch, I don't think, but I noticed that I'm seeing Bots listed in the "Who's Online" section. I've never seen them here before like I do all the time at ReNext.  I assume that's an artifact of the server migration.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:59 PM

Nah, it was just a technical choice I made a few days after the move.

It makes it easier for me, and other Ex Islers, to have a more complete picture of what is going on with the server at any given time.

They were displayed in the early years of Ex Isle, and I don't think my reason for removing them back then was anything more substantial than "Bots aren't members". But now I think it's more of a problem that bots aren't reflected in the member/guest counts at all.

Edited to add: at the moment we have 5 members logged in (visible or not), 172 guests and 3 bots. But the bots scan MANY more pages/sec than members/guests, which impacts server load.

Edited by Orpheus, 04 October 2017 - 11:06 PM.

#14 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 11:18 AM

Okay, I'm going to report a glitch myself, just so y'all know it exists, and how to deal with it:

Sometimes, when you click "View New Content", you'll get a message "Sorry, no new content" and a blank results section.

This should NEVER happen. You should always get a page of results, including threads you've already fully read. Just wait a full minute and try again. Maybe 2-3 times

I'm working on debugging this. It has to do with spawning child processes (but doesn't everything, with me?) -- just a matter of optimizing settings for the new server.

#15 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,860 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:18 PM

So, are your debugging efforts the reason for the latest SQL server problem (just an hour, or less, ago)? The last time we were down and out, I kept getting that notice. Basically telling me: "It's not me (ipb), it's you (me?)."

If not, then I guess I just reported some issue?
:lol:

Edited by Elara, 08 October 2017 - 01:19 PM.

El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#16 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 01:59 PM

Yes, whenever I change a setting, I have to restart the mysql server. That only takes a split second to reboot.

If I screw up, it may take a minute or two for me to figure out what I did wrong.

I usually try to only mess with these things when there are hardly any members logged in, but I thought this one was a no-brainer. Turns out I was the no-brainer.

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

I never noticed the "New Content" button before.  I just clicked it 137 times and got nothing.  That's okay, though, I don't think I need it.

#18 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 04:47 PM

I'm sure you're being hyperbolic, but don't click it 137 times in a row. That'll only make it harder for it to fix itself. As I said, wait a full minute between clicks.

137 is a prime number, and we can't have you issuing too many prime directives.

I'll get the right balance of cache vs threads vs child processes eventually. I managed it when I had kids.

#19 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,167 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 05:44 PM

I normally use 37 when I'm being hyperbolic, because it's the number of plays credited to Shakespeare (or was when I was a kid-- that's changed a little now), and add the 1 in front when I'm being extremely hyperbolic. It was probably more like fifteen times, and I did do it very quickly.  I just tried it about a half dozen more times, waiting a minute, with still no results.

#20 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 06:06 PM

H'm . . . Hyperbolic Drive . . . definitely has possibilities.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users