The NEW post-move server glitch thread

115 replies to this topic

#41 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:40 PM

Interesting.  I noticed yesterday when I peeked in on the iPhone app that the name is bracketed by stars.  I wasn't sure if it was new or if I just never noticed before.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#42 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:39 PM

All fixed.  Thank you. :)

#43 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:34 AM

I added it as a minor convenience to myself. It helped one of my smartphone tools single Exisle out. It wasn't important.

#44 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:56 PM

Okay. End of the month, I promised we'd go out of debug mode. I may have to tweak the memory allocations a bit in the future, but I think you'll find ExIsle much zippier now.

#45 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah.  :thumbs-up:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#46 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 01:42 AM

Did anyone else observe a ~20 min outage starting at 1:35 AM EDT (4:35 GMT, 10:35 PDT), give or take a few minutes?

I know our server was running fine throughout this period. It was a network issue at either our server company or my local ISP.

Based on CPU activity levels, I suspect it was my local ISP, but I haven't yet set up my new(ish) desktop to do access log analysis.

Yeah, I'm a lazy bum -- but a lovable bum

#47 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:56 AM

I don't know exactly how or why, but for the past 48 hours we've been hitting our theoretical maximum cloud server efficiency.

That's not to say that our settings are perfect (C'mon, this is me. Be amazed it works at all), but any improvement would not gain us any iota of benefit on our current host.

I mistrust such good results. I don't expect them to last. I expect some catastrophic crash to result eventually, unless/until I understand why we're getting such high efficiency.

Please report any downtime >15 min/day. No manual maintenance I might do (short of crash recovery) will take more than 15m. I need to hear about problems before I fully automate operations to 2020.

If this is due to trade-offs I've made between response time and resource utilization, I'll improve response time before locking down. I'd prefer faster page loads, even at 50% of optimal resource utilization.

#48 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 05:19 PM

I haven't noticed any downtime, but I've had some really sluggish page loading a few times this evening.

#49 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

Yes, I'm still trying to strike a balance between handling occassional surges of 250 guests, and the theoretical chance of overload if I assign too much memory to those surges.

On the plus side, I just noticed a pattern that may suggest that new would-be members are getting our emails blocked by Big Email-- and I can fix that.  So maybe we'll get some more new members

#50 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:57 AM

Yup. It turns out that one challenge with our new host is a "doing things their way". I'm accustomed to being the TOTAL master of my domain(s).

I need them to allow some types of outgoing email and clear us past the spamlists, and i must reconfigure our outgoing email (a bit or trial and error -- but what in life isn't?)

But hey -- NEW MEMBERS (If I do this right). Ex Isle LOVES new members. If YOU are a would-be new member, and you haven't heard from us, we love you, and...

I trust that RJDiogenes approves. I do have tastes outside disco.

#51 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:01 PM

Actually, I do approve.  Of the song and of new members.    :thumbs-up:

#52 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Last night and tonight, it took just under three minutes for my replies in the Rae and Tricia Hug Threads to post. All other posts went through pretty much fine.  The only other long wait I had was posting this week's Z Nation thread, and that was only about a minute.

#53 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 07:40 PM

^^  That one took about a minute, too.

#54 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:48 AM

Yeah, it IS taking a while to post, isn't it? I've definitely noticed-but-not-NOTICED that a few times That shouldn't happen.

I think it must have to do with opcode caching. With all the guests flying through on search engines, the system can't help but optimize itself for reading and (especially) reading random threads from any point in the last 15 years. Then on the (relatively) rare occassions that someone wants to post, it has to go all the way back to the hard drive to rummage for the "make a post code".

I can try increasing the caches, but I think the guest/member ratio may just swallow up any extra memory I throw at it. Ironically, the answer would be for members to post more, so the posting subroutines don't get driven out by all th reading.

But I'll think about this, to see if I can't do something on my end. I may already have an idea, I'll just have to look up the details.

Thanks for the report. It's funny how I can "see" something without really seeing it. Kinda like how I never notice dishes piling up in the sink.

#55 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,966 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

I like to get email notifications for all the threads I read.  I have noticed ever since the server move that sometimes there is a delay before the email arrives.  Sometimes a few minutes, up to a few hours after the post time.  

I didn't mention it because I figured, new server, it has a lot to do.  And, it doesn't really matter, the email always arrives.  And it happened much less after a while.  (Hardly ever, recently.)

But, new problem:

I have not received any email from exisle since Tuesday!  I only just noticed, because I was traveling this week, and I peeked in at the board, but I didn't check my *fandom* email till I got back.

Specifically, the last board email I received was Tue 11/14/17 at 6:18 pm eastern.  And yes I checked the spam folder!  :oh:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 18 November 2017 - 06:44 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#56 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:13 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 18 November 2017 - 06:42 AM, said:

I like to get email notifications for all the threads I read.  I have noticed ever since the server move that sometimes there is a delay before the email arrives.  Sometimes a few minutes, up to a few hours after the post time.  

I didn't mention it because I figured, new server, it has a lot to do.  And, it doesn't really matter, the email always arrives.  And it happened much less after a while.  (Hardly ever, recently.)

But, new problem:

I have not received any email from exisle since Tuesday!  I only just noticed, because I was traveling this week, and I peeked in at the board, but I didn't check my *fandom* email till I got back.

Specifically, the last board email I received was Tue 11/14/17 at 6:18 pm eastern.  And yes I checked the spam folder!  :oh:

SFG

I'm not either.  I thought it stopped on Thursday.   I delete my emails daily so, I have no way to be sure of the day.  I'm also not receiving notifications from other sites though.

Are you, by any chance using, Gmail?

Edited by M.E., 18 November 2017 - 07:51 PM.

#57 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 02:44 AM

I've been twiddling with our email configuration because I've seen indications that some Big Email providers are spamfoldering us.

I hope to have it worked out by year's end, but I don't have any strong leads yet.

#58 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:15 PM

I just started following a thread, so we'll see if I get any email notifications.....

#59 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,623 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 08:21 PM

Well, uh oh--  I just got this:

EIError.jpg

I'm not sure what I was doing, because I had two or three tabs open-- I think I was leaving the "Rejected Star Trek Titles" thread after subscribing.

:(

#60 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,757 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:58 PM

Nope, that shouldn't happen at all. And when it does, it shouldn't fix itself. Unless maybe too many things happened in the same microsecond. Even then...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users