Unusual Funnel Cloud

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 01:56 AM

You could probably go a whole lifetime and never see one of these.  Hurray for camera phones.

An amazing tube-shaped cloud struck awe into witnesses when it was filmed in the sky above Japan.
The tube of pale cloud filmed in the city of Niigata in central Japan's Chubu Region looks only a few inches wide in the clip, snaking down from a sky full of dark grey clouds above, though its apparent size may be an optical illusion.
Japanese media reported that locals who witnessed the tube cloud were 'awe-struck' by the phenomenon.

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz4uaBnhWaJ

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:20 AM

^ That is bizarre!!!  :oh:

Here is another crazy one.  I think this one is a waterspout, and so a bit more common, but still crazy looking!

World and Science
@WorldAndScience

Crazy - An Otherworldly Vortex Forms Over Tampa Bay, Florida
8:00 AM - 5 Oct 2017

Crazy - An Otherworldly Vortex Forms Over Tampa Bay, Florida - DLX28MQUQAEYzr-.jpg

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 October 2017 - 12:21 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:40 AM

They're both waterspouts. They're fairly common. I saw two in English Bay on the day I moved from Vancouver to Saskatoon, back in 1997 or so:

https://www.bing.com...ver&FORM=HDRSC1
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:18 AM

I think they are so cool.

So, does it only happen  over large bodies of water?

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:27 AM

The one I posted looks like a portal to another dimension or something!  :lol:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

It really does! lol

I have been reading some comments and some think it looks like it is being intelligently controlled.  Another person said that Aliens are siphoning off our water supply.

I'd love to see one one IRL.   From a safe distance, of course. :)

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

View PostM.E., on 06 October 2017 - 04:18 AM, said:

I think they are so cool.

So, does it only happen  over large bodies of water?

There are actually several distinct types (mechanisms of formation)

A Tornadic Waterspout happens when a "land tornado" passes over or touches down on any water. I've heard TV meteorologists in the US southwest say that this is "what a waterspout is". Well, maybe for them!

The more common kind of waterspout, "fair weather spout" occurs over warm waters. Optimal surface temp seems to be around 30C/85F, but it can happen in cooler waters. These aren't associated with thunderstorms, and associated with some sort of cumulus cloud (aka "the fluffy type"), often with a flat bottom. I'll spare you the physics: I've exhausted my month's allotment of rants about latent heat of vaporization, etc. (*sigh* someday. I'll get to the end of the month!). It takes some form of crosswind or current to set the quickly rising, slowly cooling, moist air spinning, and "tighten" it into a water spout. Nonetheless, these are quite common: each year, there are more waterspouts in US southeast coastal waters than tornados of all kinds in Tornado Alley

I've seen current public information films/documents from organizations like NOAA, The Weather Channel, etc. claiming that these are the only two types of waterspouts. But if you get real chummy with meteorology researchers (and really, why would anyone not?), you'll eventually find out that's just what The Powers The Be want you to think!

For example, there have been waterspouts in/around Antarctica, where the water is frigid (surface temps can be below 0C/32F, because it's salt water). No tornado has ever been seen/detected in Antarctica.

I also feel that there are sufficient differences in the mechanism of Great Lakes "lake effects spouts" to call them a separate class: no tropical water and no thunderstorm/tornado.

I could list out several other less-common types, but I want to leave you with this: the extremely rare Lava Steam-vortex waterspout. (Yeah, my mental world is a house of horrors)

hawaii-lava-ocean-water-steam-vortices-tornadoes-copyright-bruce-amori-extreme-exposures.jpg
Copyright: Bruce Amori/Extreme Exposure

#8 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:11 PM

View Postgsmonks, on 06 October 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

They're both waterspouts. They're fairly common. I saw two in English Bay on the day I moved from Vancouver to Saskatoon, back in 1997 or so:

Considering where it was, it probably was a water spout, but I have seen tubes just like this and not over water. Not all land tornadoes are huge, some land tornadoes are just a weird snaking, tube-like thing.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#9 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:50 PM

Yes, since I was a child, I've wanted to explore the physics of large dust devils. We often had small ones (2-10 meters = 6-32 ft tall) in my grade school playground, when it got unusually hot.

Here are some better specimens from 2016:

This one in China (NBC won't let me embed it) is unbelievable. We used to joke about them lifting kids off the ground but...

The main distinction is that waterspouts have clouds at their tops,  but dust devils are always on direct sunny, usually completely cloudless, days. Shade interferes with them.

#10 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:36 PM

Neat, Orph. Dust devils are really cool to watch. I once witnessed one that was strong enough to cause a semi to wobble as it drove through. The driver slowed way down in an attempt to avoid it, but he couldn't.
I followed him when he pulled into a gas station in town and talked to him about it, telling him I was behind him on the highway. He said he never thought a dust devil could do that to a semi. He said it really scared him, thinking it was going to push him over. I don't think it had that much power, but I can imagine being in that cab and feeling the trailer wobble, thinking it might just topple.

But the tube-like tornado that I saw, was an actual tornado, storm clouds and all, I just want to clarify that.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#11 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,964 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostElara, on 06 October 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

View Postgsmonks, on 06 October 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

Considering where it was, it probably was a water spout, but I have seen tubes just like this and not over water. Not all land tornadoes are huge, some land tornadoes are just a weird snaking, tube-like thing.

Oh-h-h-h. Well, those land-tube things often happen when a funnel cloud first touches down. If a funnel cloud is really high up, often you'll get a long, snaky thing undulating down toward the ground. They're nowhere near as powerful or dangerous as the fat ones. It's the fat ones you have to watch out for. :)
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#12 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 12:52 AM

View Postgsmonks, on 07 October 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh-h-h-h. Well, those land-tube things often happen when a funnel cloud first touches down. If a funnel cloud is really high up, often you'll get a long, snaky thing undulating down toward the ground. They're nowhere near as powerful or dangerous as the fat ones. It's the fat ones you have to watch out for. :)

You don't say. :o Here we call them rope tornadoes, and yes, for the most part they are nothing to really worry about, but still not something to mess with. The one I saw as a kid (my first!), took out a small farm building, so plenty strong enough.

The "fat ones" you speak of, I've seen several of them. Not any of the truly large ones like an F-5, but an F-4, the ones that can level part of a town (only because it just skimmed part of a town). We were able to watch it from our road, about 5 miles from where it hit. We actually saw 3 in the same area that year, but luckily that town was only hit once. Our state doesn't have the highest number of tornadoes, but being part of tornado alley means we see our fair share.

In my life, I've seen 3 rope tornadoes, 1 F-3, 4 F-4's, one cold funnel cloud, and countless rotating clouds that formed, but didn't make it to the ground, which were still very impressive to witness. And as family loves to tell, one hit just a half mile from our home the year I was born. Depending on the family member telling it, I either brought the tornado, or kept the tornado at bay. :lol:
El

#13 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

Knowing you, I'm guessing "both".

#14 Elara

Elara

• Watchdog
  • 2,897 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

View PostOrpheus, on 08 October 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

Knowing you, I'm guessing "both".

Probably. :lol:
El

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users