• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:55 PM

WaPo article: Trump's war on the American people.

The article touches on three things that Trump's administration is doing, all with differing levels of input/control by the DoJ under Jeff Sessions. Which Trump more or less seems to be well distracting most people and journalist from.

- Birth control ACA mandate: the most widely reported from what I've seen, is that Trump will allow business owners with a religious or moral objection to get out of the birth control mandate of the ACA.
- Federal Law Protections for Religious Liberty:, is the title of a memorandum by AG Sessions with 20 Principals of Religious Freedom. The article describes it as reading "more like a manual for those who want to use religious  beliefs as a invisibility cloak for bigotry, especially numbers two, three, and four".
Two basically expands what could be considered religious acts (it doesn't have to be dogma or central to the religion, and can be doing an act or not doing an act);
Three basically expands to concept of religious freedom to organizations, including business;
Four basically says people/organizations don't need to give up their religious freedom to participate/interact in the public square/marketplace/government.
… I wonder how quickly they take that back if some minority religion tries that for justification for some religious or cultural practice….
- FBI's new terrorist threat report: FBI (which reports to DoJ) has an 11 page report looking at six "targeted attacks" against police officers since 2014, and have rebranded which they formerly called Black Separatist Extremists to Black Identity Extremists. That is not a slight change, changing separatists to identity allows them to basically expand their include any group advocating for any kind of racial justice or institutional/cultural change towards those ends. I am not surprised the FBI want to monitor BLM and related groups, they monitored civil rights groups during the civil rights movement of the 60s. But to imply that part of BLM's goals is organizing (or supporting) either violent retaliation or racial separation is ridiculous. Regarding individual lone-wolves type situations that make be 'inspired' by the disportionate violence against blacks by cops, a former justice department employee said this: "Individual acts do not a legitimate law enforcement categorizations make. White supremacists… act as a violent unit".

Yeah, don't hope to look to the Department of Justice for justice under Trump/Sessions….

Edited by sierraleone, 09 October 2017 - 09:03 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 12:22 AM

Sessions is a total douche.  He's the nut-job who claimed that not passing an immoral law would be immoral.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#3 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,819 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Shucks, I lost my post and didn't see any auto-save when I got back on the board after a minute.

Short & sweet - anyone seen/read about Jeff Sessions testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee yesterday I believe it was?
Nothing revealing except the fact that he'll reveal nothing.

WaPo: The Daily 202: What Jeff Sessions wouldn't say was more revealing than what he did.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,832 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

As I said before, he's a total douche. He stonewalled them, didn't answer any questions.

They've said that they aren't asking any questions they don't already know the answers to, so based on that they have him dead to rights for Russian collusion.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users