• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 12:55 AM

So, I have been coming across random entertaining things lately (thank you twitter), and I would love to share them but they never fit in an existing thread.  So I will share them all here!

Please feel free to contribute!  :cool:

M.E. you are going to love this first one! :D :D

Fluff Society
@FluffSociety

"The Oregon Zoo staff took the elephant around the zoo, she liked sea lions the best!"

Posted Image

11:00 AM - 11 Oct 2017

I swear that elephant is smiling!!!  :love:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 13 October 2017 - 12:57 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:32 AM

That's really precious. :love:

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,661 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:15 AM

Thank you! I was going to post this on RJD's board, but I didn't get around to it all day.

The picture was released on HuffPo 5 years ago, but was actually taken 10 years ago. Back then, They used to take the elephants (or at least this one, Chandra) around the zoo for walks. She's a Burmese elephant, hence smaller and hairier than their others

Sadly, they no longer do this, and thinks have taken an even dark turn this summer. I don't want to link it, but google Packy the Elephant if you're feeling emotionally bulletproof. TRIGGER ALERT

But to continue in the vein of this thread, here's a bit of hilarity, courtesy of our Founder, Rov, back when he was getting this board going. Apparently, in 2003, hungry UN diplomats and their staffs pillaged and emptied all the UN restaurants, even stealing the silverware!

You'll want to read the article itself.

#4 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 14 October 2017 - 12:31 PM

This is so cute and yet sad at the same time.

When the vet gives the man back his hamster, he gasps because no one is prepared for this sight!

Posted Image

I can't handle it!

Veterinarians sometimes face some unique challenges. After all, their patients come in a range of sizes and species, so the varieties of treatments are endless. The following photo comes from a veterinary clinic in Petrozavodsk, Russia. A tiny hamster with an even tinier cast for a broken arm made its way to their Facebook page. You almost die from the cuteness:

There's lots more pictures and stories at this site...

https://to.newspip.c...-sight_amp.html

Edited by M.E., 14 October 2017 - 12:34 PM.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,572 posts

Posted 15 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

^^  Aww, they should all sign it.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 13 October 2017 - 12:55 AM, said:

I swear that elephant is smiling!!!  :love:  
I wouldn't be surprised.  Elephants are very intelligent animals-- how intelligent is debatable, but they show all signs of self-awareness and problem-solving ability associated with intelligence. They have complex emotions and relationships, they have incredible memories, and the ability to organize and communicate. It's possible that they have linguistic capabilities. Some have even demonstrated artistic abilities. I would say that they are in the same category as humans, apes, and cetaceans.  So I'm not surprised that they would appreciate a trip around the zoo as much as one of us would.

View PostOrpheus, on 13 October 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

Thank you! I was going to post this on RJD's board, but I didn't get around to it all day.  
It's still there.  :lol:

Sadly, they no longer do this, and thinks have taken an even dark turn this summer. I don't want to link it, but google Packy the Elephant if you're feeling emotionally bulletproof. TRIGGER ALERT  
Oh, that's really awful. :(  I wonder if the vaccine would work on elephants. I had to be inoculated against TB when I was born, because my father was hospitalized with it and it was considered a major public health problem at the time (kind of like AIDS became decades later.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 mare serenitatis

mare serenitatis

magog with a migraine

• Islander
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 08:02 AM

Have you ever seen a fox hunting mice? It's the most hilarious thing. Here's one in deep snow but they use exactly the same technique in summer, too. Amazing that no fox ever ends up with a broken neck.

video

Edited by mare serenitatis, 13 February 2018 - 08:03 AM.

A hug a day keeps the psychatrist away

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: cute, funny, stupid

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users