• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,812 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

I just read WaPos's Who's next? A moment of reckoning for me - and the behaviour we can no longer ignore.

I thought I'd share a comment made by mc4iy:

I've heard from a lot of men in the last couple of weeks who are distressed to see things like cat calls and "wandering hands" lumped in with rape and other forms of more violent assault.

But what I don't think men understand is that it is all linked for women. For us, it's all a spectrum of "this man feels he is entitled to my time, attention, and/or body without my consent." Some men do these things out of a genuine lack of understanding. They're brought up in a culture that reveres men who fight past the woman's "no" and just go for what they want. But a lot of other men do it for the thrill of power...the feeling they get when they see a woman squirm or reluctantly submit to a situation she can't control.

And for women, we have no idea which kind of guy we're dealing with. We have no idea if the cat call will result in being followed home or if the wandering hand will result in rape. We literally have no idea where a strange man's sense of entitlement is going to stop. So for us, it's all incredibly problematic and an invasion of not only our time and space, but also our sense of security and autonomy.

Other than I would have dropped strange (most sexual assaults/rapes are committed by someone the victim knows) it is right on the money.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users