The Flash: Mixed Signals

The Flash DC CW

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:06 PM

BARRY AND IRIS GO TO COUPLES THERAPY - Barry (Grant Gustin) has his hands full when he takes on a dangerous meta (guest star Dominic Burgess) who can control technology, while also confronting an obstacle in his personal life: the ramifications of abandoning Iris (Candice Patton) for six months to balance the Speed Force. Meanwhile, Gypsy (guest star Jessica Camacho) breaches in for a hot date with Cisco (Carlos Valdes), but she gets annoyed when his work keeps them apart.

Read more: Listings - FLASH, THE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4vokC0FSR

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

I hate to admit it, but I've been feeling pretty bored with this show.  Every season has the same "figure out the identity of the villain" structure where you know they won't figure anything useful out until mid-season, and I'm kinda sick of all the "someone walks out of the central lab in a huff and someone else says 'I'll talk to him' and heart-to-hearting in the hallways".   I still like the characters/actors and enjoy the banter side of things, but the repetitive nature of the episode and story-arc beats is wearing really thin.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:44 AM

While I enjoyed the Easter Eggs, from the fat flash to the Babel protocol, really wasn't wild about the Iron Flash pulse cannon thing. And wasn't wild about the whole AI thing inside his suit either. Enough with trying to make heroes be just like Iron Man already. They made that mistake with Spider-Man Homecoming.

Hands down the best line goes to Gypsy: "It's like he doesn't even realize he is a dead man." LOL.

I'm glad that Iris finally said to Barry why she was so pissed at him. And his face when she did, priceless.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#4 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

I've been impressed with Gustin's acting so far this season.  And he looked so much more mature with the beard!  So far, so good for me.
Cats will never be extinct!

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

I liked the idea behind the story, that the point man who had been absent for six-months must adapt to the changed circumstances to get back into sync with his team and the woman he left behind.  All too often that is the veteran’s tale of returning home after the war and discovering that the world has moved on without him.

It’s nice that they touched on it, but why Barry opted to ignore Iris’ direction was never fully explored, except that it was a mistake.

I was kind of disappointed that Barry was more concerned with catching up with the TV he missed (admittedly, understandable, but still), rather than try to catch up with the folks at CCPD and its crime-lab.  Has the crime-lab scenes actually been written out as we focus on Barry being the Flash?

Cisco and Gypsy … that whole sub-plot felt too clichéd and trite.  Although the idea of trying to maintain a relationship between two busy people across dimensions does hold potential for drama, I wasn’t really feeling it.

Now, as for Cisco’s “upgrades” to the suit, he’s an engineer, it’s what he does … and I loved his reaction to the others, after Kilgore starts playing merry hob with Flash’s costume.  That was fun, it felt real, although I’m still not sure what Cisco was thinking Barry would do with the hand-cannon though, it seemed a very un-Barry-esque gadget to have installed.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

View PostG-man, on 19 October 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

I was kind of disappointed that Barry was more concerned with catching up with the TV he missed (admittedly, understandable, but still), rather than try to catch up with the folks at CCPD and its crime-lab.  Has the crime-lab scenes actually been written out as we focus on Barry being the Flash?

Why assume it was "rather than?" If he can do those tasks at super-speed, he'd have plenty of time to catch up on both. Besides, we know that his ability to retain information crammed at super-speed is finite, so he'd probably take more time and care catching up on his work and save the accelerated stuff for recreation.

We did see at the start that Captain Singh gave him back his old job, so he's still Barry Allen, CSI. How much the show focuses on that remains to be seen.

I’m still not sure what Cisco was thinking Barry would do with the hand-cannon though, it seemed a very un-Barry-esque gadget to have installed.

Cisco's seen Iron Man too many times.

Or maybe Spider-Man: Homecoming. Why would Spidey's suit even have an "Instant Kill Mode"???
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:31 AM

^^^ OK, I missed the Captain Singh scene, however, one cannot conduct human interactions at super-speed.

The impression left by the show is that Barry just went back to work, thanks to Joe (Det. West) fighting to keep him on the payroll.  And this happened without any drama?

Presumably in Barry’s six-month absence (with no idea of when he would return), CCPD would have been obliged to find replacement staff to take care of the forensics, or contract that work out, or allow the workload for the past six-months simply continued to pile up while Barry was absent without any idea of whether or not he would return – in which case, he has a heck of a lot of work to catch up on, even if going at super-speed.

If they did re-staff, then Barry must learn how to work with the new folk.  Just what is his role now, since he has proven that the cost-effective one-man crime-lab isn’t particularly reliable in light of his sudden six month absence?

Instead, the writers chose to focus on his hero-work and personal life, which had they included the demands Barry faced at the office, would have explain his sudden compulsion to make decisions without discussion, because he is trying to catch up and get everything back on schedule.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 19 October 2017 - 12:39 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:56 PM

View PostG-man, on 19 October 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

If they did re-staff, then Barry must learn how to work with the new folk.  Just what is his role now, since he has proven that the cost-effective one-man crime-lab isn’t particularly reliable in light of his sudden six month absence?

Instead, the writers chose to focus on his hero-work and personal life, which had they included the demands Barry faced at the office, would have explain his sudden compulsion to make decisions without discussion, because he is trying to catch up and get everything back on schedule.

Well, they can only fit so much in one episode. This episode was about Barry and Iris getting back in sync. Maybe they'll address the crime lab stuff later, but it's never been a major part of this show except last season with Julian.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:27 PM

Yeah, it's a routine failure of superhero fiction that the arguably more interesting day-to-day character-based stuff always gets dropped in favour of the "exciting" stuff (which then ends up compressed into illogic to fit into a 43-minute episode).

I know people complained about them in Star Trek, but I kinda miss occasional well-written "bottle" episodes.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 19 October 2017 - 02:27 PM, said:

I know people complained about them in Star Trek, but I kinda miss occasional well-written "bottle" episodes.

I think you mean standalone episodes. A bottle episode is one that's written to take place mostly or entirely on standing sets in order to save money, like TNG's "The Drumhead." Like, a Flash bottle episode would be one where, say, the team was trapped inside STAR Labs with the bad guy and had to hunt him down before he could escape the building. I think Legends of Tomorrow has done one or two bottle shows set entirely aboard the Waverider -- they're pretty easy to pull off in ship-based series. (Leverage actually did an episode called "The Bottle Job" that was not only written to take place entirely within their standing bar and apartment sets, but had the alcoholic lead character start drinking again -- i.e. go back to the bottle-- so the title was a double or triple entendre.)

But yeah, I miss self-contained standalone episodes too. They actually just showed one on Lucifer this week, though. When their season order was increased by four episodes last year, they decided that, instead of padding out the seasonal arc, they'd just do four standalones after it ended, and then they decided to save those episodes for season 3. This week's episode was the first one, and apparently the rest will be peppered in here and there between arc episodes.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:52 PM

I wonder how much of Killer Frost is still in Caitlin. I hope they find a new angle on that storyline, and not repeating the same from last season. It'd be interesting to see if they can use her duality for something good. Maybe get her to turn without getting all cold and emotionless inside.

But can we send out a memo that Danielle Panabaker keeps wearing shorts (or jumpers) on the show? She looked absolutely stunning in that episode. Covering those legs would be a crime. ;)

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 19 October 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#12 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:30 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 19 October 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

I wonder how much of Killer Frost is still in Caitlin. I hope they find a new angle on that storyline, and not repeating the same from last season. It'd be interesting to see if they can use her duality for something good. Maybe get her to turn without getting all cold and emotionless inside.

Speaking of Killer Frost, I've been trying to remember... has the show ever addressed why she seems to be the only meta who gets magically turned evil by her powers?   All the other baddies are usually portrayed as either criminals to start with or the power going to their heads and freeing them up to take revenge for wrongs done them, not the whole instant mirror-universe version of themselves.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

View PostNiko, on 19 October 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

Speaking of Killer Frost, I've been trying to remember... has the show ever addressed why she seems to be the only meta who gets magically turned evil by her powers?   All the other baddies are usually portrayed as either criminals to start with or the power going to their heads and freeing them up to take revenge for wrongs done them, not the whole instant mirror-universe version of themselves.

It's never been made explicit, but I figure it's because her family angst growing up predisposed her to dissociative identity disorder -- she spent so many years suppressing her darker side and building the sweet, friendly Caitlin persona, and then she saw her evil Killer Frost doppelganger, so when she developed the same powers, her mind sort of created an equivalent persona as an outlet for her suppressed darker urges, partitioned off from her regular persona. I thought last season's finale meant that she'd finally integrated the sides of her psyche into a functioning whole -- neither KF nor Caitlin as we knew her -- but now it looks like she's regressed.

Another, simpler possibility that's occurred to me is that it has something to do with the "cold" nature of her powers -- like, when her body freezes, it suppresses her emotions and empathy, making her basically a psychopath. Like Mr. Freeze's line in Batman: TAS: "Heart of Ice": "I'm beyond emotions. They've been frozen dead in me."

Facebook Author Page

#14 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,685 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:55 AM

^^ I've come to believe that it's the latter, that her heart (and therefore, her soul) literally "grows cold". So, maybe there is a way for her to turn but keep it warm inside, so her persona doesn't change. That might be the journey they try to take with her here.

But I really like your other explanation, Christopher. BTW, nice to have you back on the forum!

Greets
Lambsilencer

#15 Quigondrakh

Quigondrakh
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

I enjoyed the episode, but def would like to see the season play out differently/different formula/routine then the past 3, the quality of the series has diminished imo from Season 1 and 2's stellar heights they reached, but over all I'm still enjoying the show. 🖖😃

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Flash, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users