Supergirl: Far From the Tree

Supergirl CW DC

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

Eliza (guest star Helen Slater) throws Alex (Chyler Leigh) and Maggie (guest star Floriana Lima) a wedding shower, which causes Maggie to reach out to her estranged father (guest star Carlos Bernard). Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) joins J'onn (David Harewood) on a personal mission.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz4wTrhFUmN

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 09:09 AM

I barely tolerate this show, mainly because of the 4 night crossover events. It's the same with the Legends of Tomorrow...really don't like that show, but I tolerate it because of Flash and Arrow.

So for Supergirl to inject their politics into the show just turned me right off. When Maggie was talking with her dad, and he did his whole political spiel about the border and "They say we are murderers". It came out before I could even stop myself from saying it: "Tell that to Kate Steinle. Oh wait, that's right you can't because she was killed by a murderer who crossed the open border illegally."

What I really don't understand is why is it racist for America to protect it's borders, and not racist if others do the same? How come the Vatican isn't racist when they protect Vatican City, which is considered a nation, with walls? Why isn't it racist for Mexico to protect IT'S Southern border with a wall?
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,594 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:20 AM

... but what about all the people killed by white people (Las Vegas, anyone?) who are American citizens?  The issue, as I see it, is blaming illegal aliens for this nation's troubles is simply a distraction to avoid admitting that the nation actually has problems that need to be addressed with more than a moment of silence.

Anyhow, my complaint with Supergirl is that it tends to simplify issues, like with the aliens presence on Earth.

From what I’ve seen, all of them are immigrants, as opposed to be children, or grandchildren of immigrants, which would certainly confound the issue of what is an Earthling.  They may not be human, but they [children and grandkids of aliens] were born here on Earth which ought to give them the same rights as humans …

Never mind, the whole issue of illicit off-world trade to provide the beverages that alien bar serves, and a President, who really wouldn’t be qualified to run for the position due to her not being born in the United States.

Essentially, they are presenting a world with a substantial off-world illegal immigrant community (that the DEO somehow missed) through which they could touch on racial issues, and they do, kind of, in a superficial (right/wrong) manner, as opposed to exploring the complexities surrounding that matter.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 25 October 2017 - 10:41 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users