• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 02:50 AM

Been feeling really down lately. Feeling like I just can't win or catch a break. Laid-off again, can't find work again, same stupid garbage issues popping up in my life like a broken record and can't break free of any of it no matter how hard I try. Most of all, I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm just out of ideas and out of gas so to speak.

Edited by Captain Jack, 28 October 2017 - 02:51 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

#2 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,007 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:31 AM

I'm right there with you, Cap'n.

I can match you problem for problem.  Heck, I might even be able to top a few of yours but, that's not what this threads about.

I was searching for something online and I came across some old posts of yours from that forum, TrolI  something or other.  I can't remember the exact name of the place. I was thinking about you quite a bit.  Then a week later you popped back in.

I still pop in here pretty much every day.  I just don't post as much anymore.

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,754 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:34 AM

Kirk never believed in a no-win scenario.

He never worked in medicine --everyone dies, it's all just a delaying action-- or blue collar or middle management. Life sucks. I wish I could say otherwise,

But parts of it are pretty good: kids, longterm romantic partners, relatives, others who love you (like us!), adventures and fun - and quiet times when nothing is going wrong and no one is gunning for you.

I've always been a huge fan of that last one myself. It's just a matter of adjusting one's expectations to recognize/embrace/enjoy them. But that doesn't pay the bills, does it?

Peace of mind is where it's at. I hope you can find it. I'm rooting for you. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

#4 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,024 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

View PostCaptain Jack, on 28 October 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

Been feeling really down lately. Feeling like I just can't win or catch a break. Laid-off again, can't find work again, same stupid garbage issues popping up in my life like a broken record and can't break free of any of it no matter how hard I try. Most of all, I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm just out of ideas and out of gas so to speak.

I broke this type of cycle for myself by robbing a bank with a machine gun, killing all the witnesses, getting away scot-free, and living happily ever after.

But seriously . . .

I broke the cycle by moving out of the city. My health was in a very bad state at the time, I was forced to live on Welfare, and I was unemployed, with no end in sight or chance of improvement.

I found a cheap house in the country, made a deal with the owner, who was glad to be rid of it, wherein I paid what I was paying for rent and utilities per month in the city. Within two years I was laughing.

Ha-ha. Ho-ho.

For $50 I paid a guy to till a big section of my back yard. It was very poor soil, but 10 years of working leaves and garden refuse into the soil has greatly enriched it. I also took everyone's grass-clippings and bags of leaves from the surrounding back alleys. Sometimes I was tilling waist-deep piles of grass clippings and leaves into the ground each Fall.

Today I grow all my own vegetables. I could eschew meat altogether if becoming a vegetarian appealed. If I need work, there's plenty to do in a rural area- landscaping, painting, siding, roofing, you name it. In the Summer I'm now the groundskeeper of the golf course in the next town.

The problem with cities is that you're always working for someone else, not yourself. That in itself is no way to live. You can only control your life if you get out of the modern city and buy property.

There's a reason it's called Got Them (Gotham) City.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#5 Captain Jack

Captain Jack

Where's the rum?

• Islander
  • 14,914 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:10 AM

View PostM.E., on 28 October 2017 - 04:31 AM, said:

I'm right there with you, Cap'n.

I can match you problem for problem.  Heck, I might even be able to top a few of yours but, that's not what this threads about.

I was searching for something online and I came across some old posts of yours from that forum, TrolI  something or other.  I can't remember the exact name of the place. I was thinking about you quite a bit.  Then a week later you popped back in.

I still pop in here pretty much every day.  I just don't post as much anymore.

Let's see, laid-off from work, AGAIN. Relative is in critical but stable condition and on dialysis in ICU. Running low of $$$. Another relative going in for chemo soon, and unemployment money is ending soon for me. To name a few. I'd rather have less, a LOT less issues.

Whatever is giving you problems in life, I hope things get better soon.

As for that Troll Kingdom thing. I haven't been in there in years. I wish I never had found out about it in the first place. Frankly, I don't know how long I will be here. The internet just doesn't interest me anymore. That and had enough bad experiences online. Facebook, email, eBay, and a few other things here and there like Amazon. Thats really it. Just me and my dog. And since no one really gives a sh** about me in real life, Ill die alone, too it seems.

View PostOrpheus, on 28 October 2017 - 04:34 AM, said:

Kirk never believed in a no-win scenario.

He never worked in medicine --everyone dies, it's all just a delaying action-- or blue collar or middle management. Life sucks. I wish I could say otherwise,

But parts of it are pretty good: kids, longterm romantic partners, relatives, others who love you (like us!), adventures and fun - and quiet times when nothing is going wrong and no one is gunning for you.

I've always been a huge fan of that last one myself. It's just a matter of adjusting one's expectations to recognize/embrace/enjoy them. But that doesn't pay the bills, does it?

Peace of mind is where it's at. I hope you can find it. I'm rooting for you. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

I personally do not believe that life sucks. The universe may hate me, but I got over that a long time ago, too. Life is what you make of it. We're given the gift of free will, choice, and even sometimes opportunity if we're lucky. But for whatever reason, I just can't get my butt off the ground!!! Life is short and valuable. I want to make the most of it. I want to leave my mark in the world. I want to be someone who has done some good. But there's always a wall that I can't get past. I want peace of mind. I know I can do better. I have before. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong or how to correct it. I feel lost and out of my own control, and I hate that.

View Postgsmonks, on 28 October 2017 - 10:33 PM, said:

View PostCaptain Jack, on 28 October 2017 - 02:50 AM, said:

I broke this type of cycle for myself by robbing a bank with a machine gun, killing all the witnesses, getting away scot-free, and living happily ever after.

But seriously . . .

I broke the cycle by moving out of the city. My health was in a very bad state at the time, I was forced to live on Welfare, and I was unemployed, with no end in sight or chance of improvement.

I found a cheap house in the country, made a deal with the owner, who was glad to be rid of it, wherein I paid what I was paying for rent and utilities per month in the city. Within two years I was laughing.

Ha-ha. Ho-ho.

For $50 I paid a guy to till a big section of my back yard. It was very poor soil, but 10 years of working leaves and garden refuse into the soil has greatly enriched it. I also took everyone's grass-clippings and bags of leaves from the surrounding back alleys. Sometimes I was tilling waist-deep piles of grass clippings and leaves into the ground each Fall.

Today I grow all my own vegetables. I could eschew meat altogether if becoming a vegetarian appealed. If I need work, there's plenty to do in a rural area- landscaping, painting, siding, roofing, you name it. In the Summer I'm now the groundskeeper of the golf course in the next town.

The problem with cities is that you're always working for someone else, not yourself. That in itself is no way to live. You can only control your life if you get out of the modern city and buy property.

There's a reason it's called Got Them (Gotham) City.

I completely agree with you. And I'm sick of worthing for others. Employed one day, gone the next. Thrown away. I've been wanting to be my own boss for years now. I used to live in California in the Bay Area. I moved nearly 900 miles away from all that. I still live in a city, though a much smaller one. Obviously, I may have to rethink a lot about all this...

Edited by Captain Jack, 29 October 2017 - 02:20 AM.

Posted Image
689 Reasons to Defeat Barack Obama in 2012:

https://www.national...at-barack-obama

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users