• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 04:54 PM

WaPo: Sexually active students must be reported to law enforcement or state officials, Ore. school district says

This would be the confluence of mandatory reporting (as is typical for known or suspected child abuse), and the age of consent for sex being 18 in Oregon. (All sexual between minors is legally considered sexual abuse, they apparently do not have a clear Romeo & Juliet clause for small age differences.)

While most would say teenagers should *not* be having sex, making an ideal the law is generally not a good idea…. That is making it public policy to criminalize common human behaviour, that has repercussions that would be against other good public policy planning…...

How are these kids supposed to have frank talk with, or ask frank questions of, trusted school staff about sex-ed, like safe-sex, without worrying that that they won't be reported to the authorities? Will they have to couch it in terms like "hey, cool math teacher, I was hoping you could help me a little with a project on sex-ed that I have for biology/phys-ed?", would the best practices to follow this policy mean that that math teacher follow up with the other teacher and enquire if there is such a project?

You can't have a conversation about safe sex, or related topics, without talking about sex. And that should tell whoever the teen is talking to that if they haven't had sex they are certainly thinking about having it.

And if the authorities follow up on it will one (the older?) or both teens be charged and ended up on sex-offender registries for the rest of their lives…. Those registries are usually quite strict.

Edited by sierraleone, 04 November 2017 - 08:20 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:06 PM

I'd say one teacher summed it up perfectly:

“To me, I feel like I’m being told to tell the students to shut up,”

Up next, no more sex-ed, and after that teen pregnancies skyrocket.
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 05:12 AM

Criminalising sex is as inane as criminalising drug-use.

I feel about this subject what I feel when flipping channels and coming across one of the pig shows where pigs have pulled someone over and are going through their drug paraphernalia. My reaction is, "Get your goddamned snout out of their business, pig! It's none of your goddamned business." Followed by an undogly kick to the pig's groin.

The urge to do recreational drugs is in our animal nature, as is our desire to bonk, and neither are unique to us homo saps. Government interference in this area is a case of dweebs wanting to stick their noses in other people's business.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:20 AM

View PostElara, on 03 November 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Up next, no more sex-ed, and after that teen pregnancies skyrocket.

And then claims of immaculate conception to their teachers to avoid being reported!

- Masha Gessen

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 08:47 AM

I have read that their is a Romeo & Juliet law there but the text wasn't clear to me. It said a less than 3 year difference was a defence (with a floor of 12 years). It didn't look like a outright automatic out, but just a possible defence to be used in court.... I *think* it is meant to protect people who were not just statuatorially raped based on age of consent but also on grounds of no consent.

But if it is clear to the legal system this is an automatic out (other than for plain old rape) for those less than 3 years apart, what are the school officials doing being busy bodies?

This local article makes it worse, giving some examples that school staff was given on what they must report: http://www.oregonliv..._to_report.html

- 15 year old student comes into your office, says their having sex with their boyfriend and wanted counselling in birth control options (um, this person is being responsible).
- Your 17 year old son tells you his 16 year old girlfriend is pregnant. (And presumably vice versa?). Should teens not tell their parents that they are expectant parents?
- A 14 year old boy confided in you that he was kicked out of his home for having a boyfriend, and he reveals that he has had sex with this boyfriend too. Um, the biggest issue is he is homeless! Or couch surfing! And still going to school, good on him! He needs counselling after his parents have treated him like trash.... and yes a sex-ed talk. And make sure consent is well understood (he could be living with his boyfriend now and feel obligated to show deference in areas he didn't give deference before. Or doing so because he is desperately looking for love since he is not getting it at home).

Edited by sierraleone, 04 November 2017 - 06:15 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 11:07 AM

People used to be married off as soon as they hit puberty- a practice that had been around since the Stone Age.

The purpose of law is to stop violence and stop people stealing stuff. When it's used to enforce someone's bent notion of morality, the social situation has most often deteriorated into some form of police state.

#7 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,598 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

Reported to the police?

Wow. Back in my day, they just put the names of sexually active teenagers on a list...

...scrawled on the stalls of the high school boys' restroom.

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 8,807 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 07:31 PM

I read a good comment on this today, along the lines of, the principal/teachers should just all report they have suspicions that all 30,000 students of having sex, and see whether the authorities decided to do anything with the information. Gets the school/school staff off the hook for any liability for mandatory reporting (they reported who they were suspecting having sex), and let the state decide if investigating all these cases of "sexual abuse" is worth their time effort and resources :D

Edited by sierraleone, 04 November 2017 - 07:48 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#9 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2017 - 09:55 PM

Being a former teacher, what they should do is report all the extramarital sex being had by teachers and parents and cops and their spouses. Fair do's, as the Brits say.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users