• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 05:40 PM

As I understand it, at about 26 dead and 20 injured, this mass shooting breaks the Texas record. Probably they mean recent history, like the last 50-120 years.

(There was actually another deadly shooting, this one with two dead, the same day, on a Church's property, in California).

Thoughts and prayers seems so trite. I have certainly have had the families in my thoughts, but the public ritual part of thoughts and prayers seem so bereft of meaning when these tragedies are no longer an anomaly and nothing changes. Thoughts and prayers seems like a meaningless public ritual now. Numbness to this is going to become normal, just like these shootings.

WaPo opinion article: The indefensible Republican response to the Texas mass shooting

So nope, not waiting the deem "appropriate" amount of time just to run into the next shooting.

You know the first time I became positive that the shooter was white? When I heard Trump's response to the shooting. Trump didn't use the word white or caucasian of course, he didn't have to. A simple short thoughts and prayers type response and also saying it is not a guns issue but a mental health issue.

While some may see it as the police sharing the facts, I didn't care for the positioning/framing of what was considered the motivation on this shooting. From the first link

“This was not racially motivated, it wasn’t over religious beliefs,” Freeman Martin, a regional director with the Texas Department of Public Safety, said at a news briefing. “There was a domestic situation going on within the family and the in-laws.”

It may be nit-picky, but why not say the last sentence first, and then the first sentence last, if at all (or if a reporter asks more questions along those lines). I mean, domestic violence is the most common type of violence, and, outside of maybe gangs, probably the most common type of shooting too. But the framing almost makes it sound like "calm down, calm down, it wasn't some terrorist, it was just Joe Blow down the street blowing up after a fight with the misses". Like violence sprouting from a domestic situations lessens, or should lessen, the worry or importance or implications of these kind of occurrences. Domestic violence is a bigger issue than terrorism.

Also, this rolls into another matter. After these kind of attacks gun-rights-advocates love to say that even if there were gun-regulations, and even if shooters followed them, they often would have gotten the guns anyways. Because in some cases there is no record (mental health or criminal) that would prevent them buying guns. Domestic violence is the biggest exception to that, and, as I said, intimate partner violence (even just going by number of killed) is a bigger issue than terrorism.

This shooter was charged, convicted, and sentenced, for previous domestic violence.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,117 posts

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:28 PM

Gawd, Fox & Friends just deplorable…. They will try to brush it off as their faith, but it is one of those time it is best to keep your faith to yourself….

Fox & Friends' Ainsley Earhardt on Church Shooting: 'No Other Place We Would Want to Go' to die

“We’ve been reporting this shouldn’t happen in a church. But I was downstairs talking with some people that work here that we all talk about our faith and we share the same beliefs. We were saying there’s no other place we would want to go other than church. Because I’m there asking for forgiveness. I feel very close to Christ when I’m there. So, I’m trying to look at some positives here and know that those people are with the Lord now and experiencing eternity and no more suffering, no more sadness anymore.”

She has released a statement since then explaining herself more...
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:01 AM

Here's the thing about the gun lobby: if the shooter had been restricted to the historical muzzle-loader variety from when the 2nd Amendment was written, he could maybe have shot one person. By the time he'd reloaded, all his prospective victims would have fled the scene, and the authorities would have been well on the way.

So the 2nd Amendment needs to reflect the type of firearm it was referring to. That would stop this nonsense.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users