A quick question about Star Trek Discovery

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,611 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:05 PM

I was browsing through youtube videos, and saw a video about Star Trek Discover vs some other ship. I was curious, figured I would get to watch a star ship battle. Now the battle was interesting, with Discovery trying to protect another ship that was under attack. But then that ship got destroyed and Discovery "jumped" away.

Now in order for this "jump"/warp drive to happen, they literally plugged in what looked like a human into what I'm guessing was part of the engine...What the HELL is THAT all about? That's almost as bad as when Babylon 5 movie had a human in a VR machine, operating the ships weapons.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 534 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:42 PM

You may not have watched the show...the Discovery is a test-bed for an experimental instantaneous propulsion system called the Displacement Activated Spore Hub Drive, or DASH Drive or Spore Drive for short.  In brief, the only way to accurately calculate a jump was to plug a living being into the drive, so I guess you could call Stamets a Guild Navigator out of Dune, effectively.  Long term use of the drive apparently causes brain damage, perhaps permanent, in the person hooked into the drive.  Speculation on exactly what the drive is doing to Stamets has been a major plot point.  He has apparently gained the ability to sense time displacements and the presence of parallel realities.

#3 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:41 PM

It took me a while to place your reference, but I assume that you mean the Shadow ships piloted by (unwilling) telepaths--ironically from enemy species, since the Shadows feared/hated telepaths. Also on B5,a (non)human was plugged into a planet-wide machine built by an ancient civilization. Babylon 5 just happened to be built in orbit around that planet. The Operator was originally the last surviving member of the species that built it, but a Minbari (one of Delenn's mentors) took over when the original operator "wore out".

While I agree with you that "this is not the Trek way", I'm enjoying it as random TV SF, even if it isn't Trek in practically any way. I've never seen anything wrong with living in a culture where "Trek" becomes a genre, just as Dracula spawned the vampire genre, where each franchise's vampires operated by its own rules. Trek mich come to mean "diverse spacefaring civilizations, serving together on ships to expand their knowledge a for truth, justice, and vague philosophical consensus" -- which includes a lot of TV SF, but is equally defined by excluding vast swathes of spaceship SF. Star Wars isn't Trek, but it could be argued to be a seminal work defining another branch of spacefaring SF.

I'm fine with the Star Wars genre, but keep me away from the TimeTravel genre (ranging from Memoirs of the Twentieth Century written by Samuel Madden in 1733(!) to HG Wells, to "It's about Time" (anyone else here old/unwise enough to remember that show?) to Time Trax, Seven Days, Tru Calling... jeez, I've been thinking of time travel as an annoying gimmick for jump-the-shark episodes, but now I realize how many TV series (noto mention books and movies) are completely based on that premise.

If you need me, I'll be in my bunk ... gibbering.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,179 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 13 November 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

It took me a while to place your reference, but I assume that you mean the Shadow ships piloted by (unwilling) telepaths--ironically from enemy species, since the Shadows feared/hated telepaths. Also on B5,a (non)human was plugged into a planet-wide machine built by an ancient civilization. Babylon 5 just happened to be built in orbit around that planet. The Operator was originally the last surviving member of the species that built it, but a Minbari (one of Delenn's mentors) took over when the original operator "wore out".  
Actually, I think he means the Legends of the Rangers movie, where the gunner used a free-fall virtual reality module to operate the weapons.

to "It's about Time" (anyone else here old/unwise enough to remember that show?)
I loved that show when I was a kid.  I recently bought the DVDs when they (finally) came out.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:34 AM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

View PostOrpheus, on 13 November 2017 - 07:41 PM, said:

Actually, I think he means the Legends of the Rangers movie, where the gunner used a free-fall virtual reality module to operate the weapons.

Ah. I just started episode 1 of Crusaders. I vaguely recall having seen that VR thing before in passing (though I didn't watch the show when it aired) and having though it was a cool idea, concordant with my childhood imaginings -- until I saw her actually operating it. That got old/dumb fast -- pretty much around the time she started firing lasers with her feet.

Also, she seemed to be piloting the ship from VR (e.g. when evading asteroids) which is fine, but it does leave precious little for everyone else on the bridge crew. I'm guessing they were occupied with communications (i.e. their Facebook updates), scanners (because of course she wouldn't have THAT info in VR, would she?) and barking orders/aye-aye'ing.

Edited by Orpheus, 14 November 2017 - 03:38 AM.

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,611 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:48 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 November 2017 - 08:35 PM, said:

That was the one I was thinking of, yes. Although I did completely forget about the person plugged into the Great Machine on the planet below, and I also forgot about the Shadows using people as the CPU of their ships.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users