• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:06 PM

This thread is for those offbeat incidents, past and present, that make a little part of you say...

ItWasAliens.png

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,588 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:25 PM

This thread was inspired by a tale a friend asked me to investigate, about the September 1953 afternoon reception on British TVs of the overnight test pattern of WLEE -- 4860 miles away.

Yeah, yeah, I know: ionospheric skip, stratospheric radio conduiting, yadda yadda yadda...

I thought that too, but I was guilty of overly three dimensional thinking. You see, in four dimensions, the test pattern was apparently received 4860 miles and three and a half years away: WLEE, the 12th US TV station, had broadcast from Jan1, 1949 to June 1, 1950, when it was sold to the Houston Post. A month later, it was renamed KPRC. Experts were at a loss, saying it would have taken an eccentric billionaire with a network of covert high power transmitters to override mid-afternoon programming across England without BBC broadcast technicians seeing anything wrong. And perhaps it would have

My friend wanted to know if it was possible that aliens had received the signal and retransmitted it to Earth on a tight high power beam as an attempt at communications

The whole story, along with the explanation (no, it wasn't an old test pattern card transmitted by mistake) can be found here.

#3 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:15 PM

If there's a way to make a tight high-power radio beam, no one has managed it yet. Signal degradation is the culprit.

In the same breath, I'm not convinced the particle/wave theory is entirely correct. It's waves that tend to degrade, particles that are said to travel in a straight line. That signals degrade says that something is askew.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users