Justice League DC DCEU Superman Batman Wonder Woman The Flash Aquaman Cyborg

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

Posted Image

Justice League is a good, if flawed, movie that sets the DCEU on the right path. The movie had me cheering, laughing, and even tearing up a few times. I’ve seen some reviews that are ripping this movie to pieces and calling it an abomination and I just can’t agree with that. The movie could definitely be better (and it isn’t as good as The Avengers) but it’s a good movie and a step in the right direction. I left wanting to see solo movies for the heroes, something I wasn’t sure of before JL.

The premise is that with the death of Superman, Steppenwolf and his hordes of Parademons see Earth as ripe for conquering. Steppenwolf had tried to conquer the Earth thousands of years ago but the Amazons, Atlanteans, various human tribes, and a few surprising cameos banded together to stop him. Those forces stole the three Motherboxes he needs to transform Earth into an Apocalypse-like planet and hid them. Steppenwolf is now searching them out. Batman, feeling guilty about Superman’s death and his role in it, decides to recruit a team to save the planet.

Honestly, the plot and Steppenwolf are the movie’s greatest weaknesses. The plot is paper thin. It’s just Batman recruiting the heroes and then the five of them trying to stop Steppenwolf. Even with the fate of the Earth in the balance the stakes never felt real. Plus, the movie is trying to more or less cram three origin stories for Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg into its running time and that creates some problems. Aquaman goes to Atlantis and it is a big info dump and I was confused as to whether Aquaman regularly stays in Atlantis and whether he even knew Mera, let alone was in love with her.

Steppenwolf, even with Ciaran Hinds voicing him, is a forgettable villain. He looks cool, but he is a CGI villain that wants to destroy the planet. There’s really nothing else to him. He is in exile for failing Darkseid by not conquering Earth the first time but that is barely mentioned.  He is really bland.

Wonder Woman is amazing here. She is still living in Paris and we are re-introduced to her as she stops a group of terrorists from blowing up four city blocks. It’s an amazing sequence that showcases all of her abilities.

She has a good arc in the movie. While she is reacting to problems, she isn’t being proactive. Batman calls her out on it. He says she can be a symbol like Superman was but she is still closing herself off because of what happened to Steve Trevor. He says that he expected Wonder Woman to be leading the team and that she needs to step up.

As for Batman, he is feeling guilty for his role in Superman’s death. He realizes that Clark was more human than he ever has been and that the world needs that kind of hope again. Recruiting the League and stopping Steppenwolf is his penance. Affleck is still a great Batman, and I hope he stays in the role for at least a few more movies. He’s less harsh here, though that could be due to the fact that he is mainly fighting Parademons and not humans.

The Flash is probably the stand-out character. In JL, he’s a loner living off the grid working three to four jobs to pay for a college education so he can get his dad out of jail. I don’t like that they’re using the “Barry’s dad has been framed for the murder of his mother” origin but it doesn’t impact the movie that much. Thankfully Barry isn’t dark and brooding. He is essentially a big fanboy and gets a lot of laughs throughout the movie. I hope that they can iron out the kinks of his solo movie because I need a Flash movie ASAP.

This Aquaman is more in line with Peter David’s hook for a hand hero. He has this “I don’t care” punk rocker attitude going on. He rebuffs Bruce’s attempt to recruit him at first because he doesn’t want to get involved with whatever is going on on the surface. That changes when Steppenwolf steals Atlantis’s Motherbox. Even then he remains snarky and has an attitude. We do get to see a different side of him when he sits on Diana’s Lasso of Truth accidentally in a pretty funny scene.

Cyborg got the short end of the stick. I like the character, and the actor does a good job. Part of the problem is that the CGI isn’t that great. The body proportions looked off. Part of the problem is that he just gets overshadowed by the other heroes and we don’t see him do much action wise other than fire off some blasts.

Superman is handled amazing in this movie. Once he is brought back to life (which I will talk about in a minute) he just owns the screen. He’s out of it and confused and Cyborg makes things worse by accidentally firing on the Man of Steel. Superman then attacks the League in an amazing action sequence where he just demolishes the other heroes. My favorite part is where Flash super speeds, thinking he’s going to get the drop on Superman and then you see Superman’s eyes shift to look at the Flash.
He also totally owns Batman, which felt like redemption for how easily Batman beat Superman in Dawn of Justice. I cheered at that.

Moreover, I think this movie will win over fans that have been on the fence about Cavill’s Superman. This is the symbol of hope that Superman should be and Cavill just nails it. There’s no brooding here. He is Superman and he loves every minute of it.
Lois and Martha are great. Lois has been in a depressed state and is sticking to writing fluff pieces. Martha has had to sell the farm house and doesn’t mind because she feels like a ghost in that empty house. Seeing these two women reunited with Clark brought the feels.  

His resurrection was rather abrupt, though. The League gets a Motherbox and Cyborg is explaining what it can do and Batman just immediately jumps to “Let’s bring Superman back to life.” It was rather jarring because it literally came from nowhere.
The action’s good, but I was hoping for something like the Battle of New York from The Avengers. The League fights together and there are some amazing moments but it could have been better.

The Amazons have a small appearance as they try to keep their Motherbox away from Steppenwolf. It’s a cool sequence but I can see why some people are upset. They have definitely sexed up the armor the Amazons wear.

The tone of the movie starts out rather bleak. The opening montage is set to Sigrid’s “Everybody Knows” and shows the world mourning Superman and shows instances of violence and hate and hopelessness.

The movie lightens up as it progresses and ends on a hopeful tone. The League has formed and stepped out of the shadows. Wonder Woman has become a symbol to people.

The final image (save for the two post credits scenes) is of Clark walking down a street in Metropolis when he hears a cry for help. He ducks into an alley and rips open his shirt, showing the S symbol. Seconds later we see Superman take to the sky.

I think it does redeem the darkness of Batman V. Superman. The message seems to be that the Justice League makes the world a better place and fills it with hope.

I loved the scenes of the League interacting, whether that was as a group of split off. Barry and Cyborg share a scene where they kind of bond over being the accidents on the team, as in they both received their powers from accidents. Batman and Wonder Woman share a mutual respect but can also point out the flaws in each other. Aquaman is just the grouchy uncle. Superman is the inspiration.

I do want to talk about the post credit scenes but will put them in spoiler tags.

Spoiler

Justice League isn’t the home run it should have been but it’s still a fun movie and one that I think puts the DCEU on a better path. I will definitely go see it again.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:45 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 17 November 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

Those forces stole the three Motherboxes he needs to transform Earth into an Apocalypse-like planet and hid them.

As a columnist on io9 pointed out, why hide all three of them on Earth? One or two of the factions involved had the ability to move them elsewhere.

Also, isn't it a retcon for Apokolips to use Mother Boxes? I'm not an expert on Kirby mythology, but I thought Mother Boxes were used by the heroic New Genesis characters while Darkseid and his bunch used Father Boxes. Or something.

Honestly, the plot and Steppenwolf are the movie’s greatest weaknesses. The plot is paper thin. It’s just Batman recruiting the heroes and then the five of them trying to stop Steppenwolf. Even with the fate of the Earth in the balance the stakes never felt real.

I'm tempted to blame that on Snyder, but then, General Zod in Man of Steel was actually a moderately effective character with some substance and texture. But then, Lex Luthor in BvS was as completely incoherent and random as the rest of that movie. Although at least he had some personality, as obnoxious and unpleasant as it was.

Plus, the movie is trying to more or less cram three origin stories for Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg into its running time and that creates some problems. Aquaman goes to Atlantis and it is a big info dump and I was confused as to whether Aquaman regularly stays in Atlantis and whether he even knew Mera, let alone was in love with her.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I've been wondering how I as a writer would tackle constructing a story like this, something that had to balance introductions of new heroes with a global-threat story. I think one possibility would be to start off with each of them confronting/investigating a threat in their own setting and context, starting to discover that all their individual problems are parts of something bigger, and then coming together. That way, showing them doing their respective things and establishing their characters and worlds would be part of the process of developing the main threat plot, rather than a separate thing to be piled on top of it.

It seems to me that Snyder's problem with plot construction, at least on these last two DC films, is that he's too literal. With BvS, his job was to get Batman and Superman to fight, so he came up with a story about Lex Luthor trying to get Batman and Superman to fight. Here, his job was to bring the heroes together as a team, so he came up with a story about Batman and Wonder Woman trying to bring the heroes together as a team. There's only one layer to it.

Steppenwolf, even with Ciaran Hinds voicing him, is a forgettable villain. He looks cool, but he is a CGI villain that wants to destroy the planet. There’s really nothing else to him. He is in exile for failing Darkseid by not conquering Earth the first time but that is barely mentioned.  He is really bland.

I do wonder why, of all the New Gods villains, they went with Steppenwolf. Who the hell is Steppenwolf? I'm barely aware of him. He's had minor roles in a few DC animated episodes and that's about it. Why not Darkseid himself? Why not at least Kalibak or Desaad?

She has a good arc in the movie. While she is reacting to problems, she isn’t being proactive. Batman calls her out on it. He says she can be a symbol like Superman was but she is still closing herself off because of what happened to Steve Trevor. He says that he expected Wonder Woman to be leading the team and that she needs to step up.

That's good to hear. One review I read said that after her big intro, she was mostly reduced to bickering and/or flirting with Batman.

I hope that they can iron out the kinks of his solo movie because I need a Flash movie ASAP.

Yeah, I like what I've seen of Miller in the clips and trailers.

Cyborg got the short end of the stick. I like the character, and the actor does a good job. Part of the problem is that the CGI isn’t that great. The body proportions looked off. Part of the problem is that he just gets overshadowed by the other heroes and we don’t see him do much action wise other than fire off some blasts.

The CG I've seen of him looks very uncanny-valley. Even the organic part of his face looks like a digital construct. As for the character, it's too bad he isn't developed more. Cyborg was a pretty good character in the 2003 Teen Titans animated series, which I recently rewatched. I wouldn't have expected this movie's version to be quite as comical and upbeat, but he had some interesting nuances in TT.

Moreover, I think this movie will win over fans that have been on the fence about Cavill’s Superman. This is the symbol of hope that Superman should be and Cavill just nails it. There’s no brooding here. He is Superman and he loves every minute of it.

I hope so. For all my deep, deep problems with Man of Steel, I felt Cavill was the most convincing screen Superman since Christopher Reeve; the movie just didn't really let him be Superman. And he was terrible in BvS because he was given nothing to work with; Superman wasn't even a character in that movie so much as a plot point. I've been hoping Cavill would eventually get the chance to play Superman in a film that got the character right.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 06:54 PM

Just saw it.  LIked it.  LARGELY agree with everything Virgil Vox said. Also, Christopher, Desaad would have been an AWESOME villain.

I like Christopher's point about Zack Snyder being too literal with his plotting.  That really does explain a lot.  He likes to set up frames and then caption them - his plotting rarely exceeds that.  

I didn't notice the Amazonian costumes - I just noticed how awesome they are... AGAIN.  This movie, coupled with Wonder Woman (The movie, not the character), makes me want to see Amazons Attack be a movie.  Seriously - watching them collaborate in battle is just wondrous.  Rather - I could have done without the upskirt on Diana's first outing, or with the flash falling on top of her.  I saw that and thought - only little boys think that's funny.  Given that Hollywood is reeling from sexual harassment scandals, one would think they might have cut that or reshot it.... but it looks like something actually added after the fact (In short - I'm blaming Joss for that scene).

I thought I would like Aquaman more than I did - but in the end, I really could do without him.  The accidental moment was hilarious though.  In the audience, very few laughed - and this is where I wondered how this movie would fair with those who aren't comic book fans.  OTOH, it really seemed like who the movie was targeting WAS Teen Titans fans...

Funny moment when Clark sees Lois, and TOTALLY loses interest in Batman. HA!  And yeah, the Flash/Superman thing was all kinds of awesome.  I really loved that closing scene.  I didn't feel the Deathstroke scene was worth the wait.  I was hoping we'd get Green Lantern, since they set him up in the flashbacks.

SO - the trailer scene - "I'll take that as a yes" didn't show up in the movie? I never heard the line, though maybe I missed it. But I suspect that there is, once again, going to be a better movie when the extended version is released.  Better - but not great - I don't think anything can make up for the fact that there isn't really much to this plot.  Still - the Justice League is launched - and I am hoping now for lots of movies without Zack (and honestly - without Joss either)

QT

Edited to make clear that it's Zack, and not the characters I can do without!!!

Edited by QueenTiye, 18 November 2017 - 07:23 PM.

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:19 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 18 November 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

I like Christopher's point about Zack Snyder being too literal with his plotting.  That really does explain a lot.  He likes to set up frames and then caption them - his plotting rarely exceeds that.

I wish Hollywood would learn that being able to direct commercials or music videos does not necessarily make one good at directing entire movies. Snyder's good at making individual moments or images that have a visceral impact, but there's far more to making a movie than just stringing a bunch of individual moments together.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

Forgot to mention - CGI Face on Superman is awful.  I wonder if he would have been better served switching to his mustache - which totally would have made sense, seeing as he was in the not quite dead state for months.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 02:36 PM

I so want to see the extended version of this movie on DVD, with all of the deleted scenes. It might make the plot better, and less jumpy, IMO.

I loved this movie, there was really only one scene that took me out of the movie for a minute, and that was when Hippolyta shot the arrow to light the signal fire. Unless the Amazons have opened their borders to the outside world and allowed news crews and tourists on the Island, the only way that would work is if the building she ignited was on the mainland, which would mean she literally shot a single arrow across an entire ocean. No, not happening, not even in a super hero movie. The laws of physics wouldn't allow it. Even if Superman shot that arrow, the arrow wouldn't have travelled across an ocean.

I loved the characters, although I really didn't understand why the need for Aquaman. Let's face it, unless they are fighting underwater, his powers aren't going to come into play, and he's just cannon fodder.

I loved the Flash, but you would think a speedster would be able to you know, run without falling down so much. But I attributed that to him being new to his powers, and generally over excited.

Loved the battle between Superman and Batman in this, with Superman throwing back the "Do you bleed?" line to Batman, and then Batman's joke about "Yeah, something down there is definitely bleeding." While the joke was funny, this Batman is so different from the brutal Batman in the Batman Vs Superman movie. I get he's feeling guilty about his part in Superman's death, but that shouldn't change his brutality of dealing with villains. Nor should it change his intelligence. He saw what happened that last time a Kryptonian body was brought back to life, and his big plan is to double down on it? With no Superman to help if things don't go as planned

And speaking of Superman...the whole digital removing of the mustache was extremely irritating. I didn't even know about Cavil being forbidden from shaving it, because of mission impossible movie. Which sounds like BS to me, how hard is it to put on a fake mustache? Much easier then digitally removing one. And everytime Superman was talking, I kept thinking "What is wrong with his mouth? Why does it look that odd?" Now I know why.

Loved Wonder Woman, although I did find the Amazonian costumes odd. In the WW movie, they were spot on, what I would've expected to see. In this movie they are almost wearing leather bikinis.

Would've like to see more of Cyborg, his character, which was essential to defeating Steppenwolf, was rarely on screen.

As for the Big Bad, I would've much rather have seen Darkseid as the Big Bad. Which makes the second end credit scene odd...Especially after all the hype of Darkseid being in the second Justice League movie. I guess they are moving away from that, which then makes the whole Barry travelling back in time to warn Bruce in Batman V Superman pointless.

Even with all it's flaws though, I loved this movie.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:50 PM

Well - Henry Cavill himself explained why he couldn't just wear a fake mustache.  Apparently some of his MI:6 stunts are such that he (and the production team) felt confident that a fake mustache would blow off of his face.  I guess we'll see.

Glad you liked it. And - interesting that you too thought Aquaman was really extraneous.  They seem to be really gungho about the Aquaman movie.  I'd rather get Man of Steel 2. What little we saw of Atlantis did not make me want to see Aquaman.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 20 November 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Glad you liked it. And - interesting that you too thought Aquaman was really extraneous.  They seem to be really gungho about the Aquaman movie.  I'd rather get Man of Steel 2. What little we saw of Atlantis did not make me want to see Aquaman.

QT

Even growing up I was never a big Aquaman fan. His powers are extremely limited. And while I definitely will go see the Aquaman movie, if they have to keep making air bubbles to talk, that is going to get old real fast.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,293 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:02 PM

Also, isn't it a retcon for Apokolips to use Mother Boxes? I'm not an expert on Kirby mythology, but I thought Mother Boxes were used by the heroic New Genesis characters while Darkseid and his bunch used Father Boxes. Or something.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Father Boxes are a relatively new concept. I believe Mother Boxes were used by both sets of New Gods.

I do wonder why, of all the New Gods villains, they went with Steppenwolf. Who the hell is Steppenwolf? I'm barely aware of him. He's had minor roles in a few DC animated episodes and that's about it. Why not Darkseid himself? Why not at least Kalibak or Desaad?

Steppenwolf is a really odd choice but he could have worked if the movie had done anything with him aside from setting him up as a generic world conqueror. Kalibak would have made more sense and would have had better ties to Darkseid, at least.

That's good to hear. One review I read said that after her big intro, she was mostly reduced to bickering and/or flirting with Batman.

The two do fight (mainly over whether to bring Superman back to life and then when Bruce accuses Diana of not doing enough) but it is hardly the only type of interaction they have. They don't flirt (at least not overtly) but there is some chemistry there. Alfred mentions it a time or two. However Diana is still pining for Steve.

I didn't notice the Amazonian costumes - I just noticed how awesome they are... AGAIN.  This movie, coupled with Wonder Woman (The movie, not the character), makes me want to see Amazons Attack be a movie.  Seriously - watching them collaborate in battle is just wondrous.  Rather - I could have done without the upskirt on Diana's first outing, or with the flash falling on top of her.  I saw that and thought - only little boys think that's funny.  Given that Hollywood is reeling from sexual harassment scandals, one would think they might have cut that or reshot it.... but it looks like something actually added after the fact (In short - I'm blaming Joss for that scene).

I might not have noticed the costumes myself if I hadn't seen articles about them beforehand.

I do agree that we need to see the Amazons featured more. They are simply amazing and the two times we've seen them engaged in full scale battle (here and then the beach attack in Wonder Woman) they have been awesome.

Yeah, I could have done without the Flash face planting into WW's cleavage.

Funny moment when Clark sees Lois, and TOTALLY loses interest in Batman. HA!  And yeah, the Flash/Superman thing was all kinds of awesome.  I really loved that closing scene.  I didn't feel the Deathstroke scene was worth the wait.  I was hoping we'd get Green Lantern, since they set him up in the flashbacks.

I liked the Deathstroke scene, mainly for what it (hopefully) sets up.

I wish Hollywood would learn that being able to direct commercials or music videos does not necessarily make one good at directing entire movies. Snyder's good at making individual moments or images that have a visceral impact, but there's far more to making a movie than just stringing a bunch of individual moments together.

I think Snyder is a capable director who can do good work when he reigns in his worse tendencies or when he plays to his stregnths. His Dawn of the Dead remake was an extremely enjoyable film and one of the few horror movie remakes that I feel is worthy to exist alongside the original. I've made my love of Man of Steel known and will stand by it. 300 and Sucker Punch were supposed to be nothing more than highly stylized slug fests and they were great highly stylized slug fests.

Forgot to mention - CGI Face on Superman is awful.  I wonder if he would have been better served switching to his mustache - which totally would have made sense, seeing as he was in the not quite dead state for months.

It bothered me at first but I completely forgot about it after awhile. I was more appalled at how horrible CGI Cyborg looked most of the time.

I so want to see the extended version of this movie on DVD, with all of the deleted scenes. It might make the plot better, and less jumpy, IMO.

Same. Apparently Snyder's original cut was close to 3 hours. I'm thinking this might be a Batman V. Superman type of situation again. When I saw the extended cut of BvS I changed my mind on that movie and now like it a lot. While it is extremely long it flows better and has more of a chance to breathe. That's what Justice League needed.

I loved this movie, there was really only one scene that took me out of the movie for a minute, and that was when Hippolyta shot the arrow to light the signal fire. Unless the Amazons have opened their borders to the outside world and allowed news crews and tourists on the Island, the only way that would work is if the building she ignited was on the mainland, which would mean she literally shot a single arrow across an entire ocean. No, not happening, not even in a super hero movie. The laws of physics wouldn't allow it. Even if Superman shot that arrow, the arrow wouldn't have travelled across an ocean.

The arrow was shot from Paradise Island to temple ruins in Greece. My guess for how the arrow was shot is magic.

I loved the characters, although I really didn't understand why the need for Aquaman. Let's face it, unless they are fighting underwater, his powers aren't going to come into play, and he's just cannon fodder.

I really think the New 52 and now Rebirth have turned Aquaman's character around and shown that you can make him a compelling character and balance the Atlantean side of his character with the more traditional super heroics on the surface. I'm hoping his solo movie will strike that same balance.

As for the Big Bad, I would've much rather have seen Darkseid as the Big Bad. Which makes the second end credit scene odd...Especially after all the hype of Darkseid being in the second Justice League movie. I guess they are moving away from that, which then makes the whole Barry travelling back in time to warn Bruce in Batman V Superman pointless.

Darkseid would have made the most sense. My only guess is that they want to build up to him like what the MCU is doing with Thanos. My problem with that is how do you make a Darkseid invades the Earth movie feel different from Steppenwolf invading the Earth in JL? Even if they just do it on a bigger scale it's the same thing.

I agree that I'd rather have a Man of Steel 2 but I am intrigued by what they do with Aquaman. If nothing else the setting will make it unique compared to other superhero movies.

Even growing up I was never a big Aquaman fan. His powers are extremely limited. And while I definitely will go see the Aquaman movie, if they have to keep making air bubbles to talk, that is going to get old real fast.

I believe I saw a quote from the director of Aquaman say that he will not be using air bubbles to have his characters talk underwater.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 25 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

I really didn't understand why the need for Aquaman. Let's face it, unless they are fighting underwater, his powers aren't going to come into play, and he's just cannon fodder.

People tend not to think about just what would be required for a human being to live in the ocean. It would take enormous strength and durability to withstand the pressure and cold of the depths or the storms and pounding waves on the surface, not to mention all the predators out there (Aquaman may be able to talk to sea creatures, but that doesn't mean they'll want to listen). It would take superhuman senses to see in the pitch darkness and navigate in such vastness. It would take enormous speed to be able to swim far enough and fast enough to patrol the oceans, which are a considerable majority of the Earth's surface. If anything, Aquaman would be more powerful out of the water than in it, because he doesn't have all that water resistance holding him back.

And am I right that the movie version has some sort of hydrokinetic/waterbending power like Mera does in the comics? If you think about it, someone with the power to control water could be incredibly dangerous, since the human body is mostly water. (See the Avatar: The Last Airbender episodes about bloodbending.)

My problem with that is how do you make a Darkseid invades the Earth movie feel different from Steppenwolf invading the Earth in JL? Even if they just do it on a bigger scale it's the same thing.

As I understand it, Kirby's intent behind Darkseid is that he's not just an alien invader coming with brute force -- he's basically the Devil, a literal god of evil. His name represents the fact that he embodies the dark side of every person, that his is the inner voice that leads us to despair or hate or rage. So he's a force of temptation leading people to evil or weakening their will to fight for good. He doesn't just come openly and conquer by force, he insinuates, manipulates, and tempts. He gains influence on Earth by suborning criminal allies like Bruno Manheim or Morgan Edge, or sending Glorious Godfrey to lead a religious cult that worships Anti-Life, or using Granny Goodness to brainwash people into his servants.

So if it were done right, a Darkseid story wouldn't just be a bunch of Parademons swarming the planet, it would be more insidious, more about deceit and manipulation and weakening us from within. Which would make for a pretty timely allegory.

Facebook Author Page

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:02 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 20 November 2017 - 03:50 PM, said:

Well - Henry Cavill himself explained why he couldn't just wear a fake mustache.  Apparently some of his MI:6 stunts are such that he (and the production team) felt confident that a fake mustache would blow off of his face.  I guess we'll see.

QT

OTOH - what COULD HAVE BEEN DONE, was painting a CGI moustache ON to Henry Cavill for MI:5.  Unfortunately - Apparently Paramount sucks.  In now deleted comments, an anonymous VFXer reported the following:

https://www.avclub.c...ills-1820801632

In a Reddit AMA, the anonymous VFXer—though anonymous, he was confirmed by the Reddit moderators—says, “Paramount should’ve shaved him and stuck a fake one on for MI6. Ridiculously petty of them. We did tests on already shot footage of Superman to add a beard as well, to show the MI6 team at Paramount it was loads easier.”

He also revealed that Warner Bros. “offered to pay for all the beard-adding shots in MI6”and that “they said no.”

Sucks.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,884 posts

Posted 30 November 2017 - 07:02 PM

The other part of the problem was that the WB executives refused to delay the film's release because a delay might cost them some big monetary bonuses, so the digital FX artists were forced to do rushed, sloppy work just so that a couple of already-rich suits could get slightly richer. So both studios' heads share the blame.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Justice League, DC, DCEU, Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, The Flash, Aquaman, Cyborg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users