Supergirl: Reign

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,626 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 10:48 AM

I thought this week's episode was alright, but nothing really special.

Main reason for my feeling this way is the lack of explanation. I get that Samantha/Reign is from Krypton....but here's the problem with that. Samantha, growing up, apparently had no powers. And that's not how Kryptonian powers work. They get their power from the yellow sun, not a mental condition. So Samantha should've been exhibiting all the powers Supergirl was, as well as Clark did. Yet she didn't. That lack of explanation kept taking me out of the episode. As did the whole Reign wearing a mask thing. Why would an all powerful being like that concern herself with keeping an identity secret?

When Reign attacked Edge...Yeah, the lead lined panic room would've prevented X-Ray vision, but it wouldn't have stopped her super hearing from hearing his heart racing, or his panicked breathing.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

The last republican leaning independent on this message board. All others have been silenced and driven off, or outright banned. Only ONE remains. I guess HighLander had it right all along....In the end, there can be only ONE.

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,260 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

Well, yeah, that is a problem.

I'd have to wonder if the safe-room was also like a SCIF, and was made to be sound-proof as well, especially if they were hoping to hide from Kryptonians.  Of course, that would lead to the issue that in a comprehensive search, such “safe rooms” would be located simply by being these pockets from which the Kryptonian can detect nothing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 05 December 2017 - 01:15 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,593 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:04 PM

It was a good episode, and the fight at the end was quite effective. But I wished it would have been depicted even darker. If I'd written it, it would have rained, the music would be just dark deep tones, no upbeat notes anymore, and the final moments would have been Reign beating Kara to an absolute pulp. Then, I would have ended the episode at the moment Kara laid on the ground in her own blood, no one coming to save her, and people just standing there around here, shocked beyond words. Fade to black. Now that would have been an ending that would have hit viewers right in the gut, leaving them completely dry for five weeks. Too bad the show, or the network, didn't have the balls to go there.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:11 PM

Thanks for starting a thread. Real life is killing me right now.

I'll have more to say later but the show did explain why Reign's powers are only now showing up. It was in the episode before the cross-over. Reign was designed in a lab and the scientists programmed her so her powers wouldn't manifest until she was 18. However, she got pregnant and that somehow screwed with the programming and delayed the onset of her powers. There was more to it than that but that was the basic gist.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,407 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 06:44 PM

View PostG-man, on 05 December 2017 - 01:10 PM, said:

I'd have to wonder if the safe-room was also like a SCIF, and was made to be sound-proof as well, especially if they were hoping to hide from Kryptonians.  Of course, that would lead to the issue that in a comprehensive search, such “safe rooms” would be located simply by being these pockets from which the Kryptonian can detect nothing.

Unfortunately, there's a long precedent for Superman fiction portraying lead as making things invisible to Kryptonians, rather than simply creating obvious voids in their perception. A lot of writers don't stop to think it through and realize the difference, or else they hope their audience won't stop to think it through.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users