• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,261 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:01 AM

And now, the Season Finale:

Ed and Kelly consider getting back together; Ed and the crew discover a planet from another universe; Kelly makes a decision with unforeseen long-term consequences for the planet, putting Ed in a difficult position.

Remember to tune in to Fox tonight (Dec 7), Orvilleans, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central to see what happens.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 December 2017 - 11:59 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 05:50 PM

"Out of thin air..." ?

I'm going to miss this show. I hope it gets 26 episodes next year.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Jorgasnarova

Jorgasnarova
  • Islander
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 03:28 PM

Ah, the zillionith re-telling of Brigadoon.

Quite a superb episode with excellent performances by all involved.  Even MacFarlane the Tree Trunk has grown into the role, pun intended.

So Isaac spent 700 years interacting with humanoids; this should have helped his social skills quite a bit.  I wonder if this will be a plot point in future episodes.  A 13th episode was shot as the season finale but broadcast of this has been re-purposed into the season two opener.  To me this implies it is not a direct follow-up but we will see.

The Orville enjoyed a very long pre-production period where all the scripts were completed, or very nearly so, before shooting began.  That is a luxury most TV shows never enjoy.

The future planet was gorgeous.  I thought the visiting ship deliberately looked like a more advanced version of the Orville.

Some of the beauty shots of the Orville orbiting the planet were beautiful enough to be sold as posters, which is what I'm hoping will happen.

Looking very forward to the release of The World of The Orville tie-in art book this January.

Orville merchandise so far has been a mundane collection of t-shirt and coffee mugs for the most part.

https://shop.fox.com...ons/the-orville

I'd really like to see toys and/or model kits of The Orville released.

I suspect that 13-15 episodes per season for this show may be the optimal number considering its expense and complexity.  I'd prefer a short but good season two over a long but mediocre one.

Edited by Jorgasnarova, 09 December 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,300 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 06:07 PM

This was another great episode. It definitely evoked "Who Watches The Watchers," which is one of my all-time favorite Trek episodes.

The opening sequence of Mercer trying to find a drinking buddy was great. It's kind of a shame that they couldn't have included Claire, Alara, and Isaac, just to close out the season with a peek at everyone in their down time. I got a kick out of the suspicious smoke in John's quarters, and appreciated the open-shirted ensign, but I wonder if that scene foreshadows a coming divide between John and Gordon, thanks to his promotion.  And, of course, the game with Bortus and Klyden was hilarious.

The main plot was wonderful, and really delivered the kind of positive message that Trek used to be known for-- and both the interphasic planet and Isaac's casual volunteering to go on a 700-year diplomatic mission were great sense-of-wonder ideas. The episode really hit all the marks. The moral of the story, that religion is an unavoidable, but survivable, symptom of civilizational adolescence, was both uplifting and very timely.  And the glimpse of the "future" civilization, from the alien megastructures (which I do think would have worked better in soothing blue than ominous green) to that silvery ship to the glowing white robes, was very nice.

The only real plot hole-- or rather, unaddressed point, unless I missed something-- was that this planet will continue to appear every eleven days. So what will the Planetary Union science ship encounter when it arrives?  They should have thrown in some line about the aliens using their technology to prevent further crossovers.

Another thing this episode demonstrated was perfect examples of good Orville humor versus awkward Orville humor.  Moclan party game:  Good.  Admiral still on the phone: Awkward (although I did laugh).

The relationship between Mercer and Grayson reached a good point for the season finale.  It was typical of the mature writing, so rare in the media these days, that they would come to this conclusion based on a story element from the main plot. I still think they will eventually get back together and that their time apart will ultimately prove necessary to solidify their relationship.  The "Menagerie" episode demonstrated that their youthful marriage probably would have imploded under any circumstances, but we've already seen them both grow a lot in one season. Hopefully that will continue.

View PostJorgasnarova, on 09 December 2017 - 03:28 PM, said:

So Isaac spent 700 years interacting with humanoids; this should have helped his social skills quite a bit.  I wonder if this will be a plot point in future episodes.  
I wondered about that myself.  But, realistically (so to speak), since time means nothing to an android, he should have monitored, compiled, correlated, and parsed human behavior within seconds of arriving on the Orville.  :D

A 13th episode was shot as the season finale but broadcast of this has been re-purposed into the season two opener.  To me this implies it is not a direct follow-up but we will see.  
I heard that the SFX weren't able to be completed in time, but I have no idea if that's true.

Looking very forward to the release of The World of The Orville tie-in art book this January.  
Yeah, I have that pre-ordered already.

I suspect that 13-15 episodes per season for this show may be the optimal number considering its expense and complexity.  I'd prefer a short but good season two over a long but mediocre one.  
I suppose so, but at this point I'd like to see 52 episodes a year.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

This was a great episode.

It combines elements of TNG's "Who Watches The Watchers" and VOYAGER's "BLINK OF AN EYE", two of my favorite episodes of the franchise.  Sprinkled in with DS9's "MERIDIAN".

This was the 5th one directed by Braga... and a good job, again.  Looks like he found himself the right niche.  I may not have agreed with how he does some of the episodes he writes, but he definitely has good visions and great concepts.  Directing is definitely for someone with vision.

I am exceedingly happy it will be back for a second season.  This is truly STAR TREK in all but name.  Can't wait to see what they have for us next year.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Orville, Seth MacFarlane, Fox TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users