3 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,214 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

Here is a WaPo article.

There was a call to the cops about a man allegedly pointing a rifle out of a fifth floor of an Inn.
Inside the room he was doing rum shots with a woman and showing off his pellet-gun he used in his job as pest-control.

When they left the room at the Inn the cops ordered them both to the ground. The man begged for his life, asking not to be shot, and was sobbing at points. Instead of sending another officer over to cuff him when he was prone on the ground they basically told them that he and the woman were taking their lives into their hands if they made any mistakes following their regularly-issued and at times confusing orders. Near the end they told him to crawl down the hallway towards them. It appears his shorts started to slip and he reached for them. The cop shot him. He was not found with any weapon on him.

ETA: Here is an Atlantic article with the cop's body-cam footage. Not easy to watch. If you do decide to watch it the relevant portion started when Daniel comes onto view starts just after 12:45. The shooting doesn't happen until 17:10.

The jury acquitted this cop.

Note: the cop's service weapon had "you're f*ck*d" scratched into it. Not clear if this information would have made a difference with the jury, but they were not allowed to be informed of this.

Edited by sierraleone, 08 December 2017 - 08:11 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 01:00 AM

He reached to his back, his back that could be clearly seen by the officers standing close by. To his shorts, shorts which tend to lie flat when a person is lying face down, which would show any possible weapon. He had begged for his life, cried, did everything they told him, no matter how impossible it was to do, and they killed him. And worse yet, the officer was found innocent. Innocent after a murder, yet again.

When I was a kid, we were taught in school that police were there to protect all of us, they would act rationally, calmly with a suspect, that ALL life mattered to the police. Jump forward to now and I am wondering if I am safe. I'm not Black, but what if I happen to laugh at the wrong time and glance at someone? What if I reach into my coat pocket for my credit/debit card? Or reach for my phone? What if I have no idea the person standing behind me is a flinchy police officer when I make these "threatening" actions?

We don't have to worry about terrorists from other countries, we have hired them to be our "protectors".

(I, for one, will not watch the video. I don't need to see some poor person shot to death. Reading about the murder was more than enough. I will just feel very sorry for his loved ones, and hope that he had no children. This is hard enough on adults, but when children lose a parent, it destroys who they were going to be.)
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:42 AM

I've seen the video too many times.  There were so many other ways to handle this (especially getting cuffs on the guy).  Now of course I don't want to see good cops getting shot. But can't there be some intensive training to shoot to wound if there is no actual gun in sight, only the possibility of one?  Of course I'd like to see shooting to wound be the norm in most cases but I'm usually shouted down and told it's not possible in the heat of "battle."   We seem to be living in the wild west (as well as the Bizarro world).
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 Omega

Omega

Maktel shcree lotak meta setak Oz!

• 4,027 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:32 PM

Shooting to wound isn't a thing. If you point a gun at someone, it's because you're willing to kill them, full stop.

Now, this is what tasers are for, and there's absolutely no reason one shouldn't have been used here instead of a gun. Or, you know, sane behavior by the cops.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users