• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 23 December 2017 - 10:32 AM

I was originally going to put cooking in the topic title, but don't want to leave out baking or raw foods.

My roommate has moved out, and I got a chest deep freezer, so I am hoping to make batches of food and freeze them for easy meals as needed.

My family was a real meat & potato family, and didn't really pass along a lot of cooking or baking skills, despite my mom being a good baker.

So, in a fit of curiosity/boredom/hunger I decided to make something from a cook book a bought a few weeks ago: Good and Cheap: Eat Well on $4/Day (it was designed to feed someone on a food-stamp healthy meals, though they have to assume a basic-equipped kitchen at least. For every book sold a copy is donated to someone who needs it).

I decided I would make something from their Big Batch section, and decided on pierogies as I had the ingredients already (though I substituted russet potatoes with what was available: sweet potatoes).

Pierogies are notoriously time-intensive, so for doing it the first time I halved the recipe (it called for two eggs, couldn't easily reduce it further ;) ).

Boy are fresh pierogies delicious! I served myself some for dinner. I tried one just boiled, and fried the rest, but it was delicious both ways (or maybe it was the fact I was eating at 9 pm? ;) ). Then I froze the remaining pierogies where they remain in my freezer for future meals.

Are you guys trying your hand at anything new in the kitchen?
Or if you are an expert hand in the kitchen have you made something you haven't in quite a while?

Edited by sierraleone, 23 December 2017 - 10:37 AM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#2 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,702 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 12:50 AM

I'm no making many new foods now b/c my elderly parents' palates want familiarity, but here's just one recent tried-and-true winner: "enchilada casserole"

Think "lasagna", but mexican.

First layer: a chili-spiced tomato sauce/puree.
Next layer: soft corn tortillas (available dirt cheap in any North American town with a population of 50K within 30 miles. Look hard!

Subsequent layers: seasoned meat, cheddar-like cheese, refried beans, and such -- each separated by a layer or tortilla covered in sauce. Bake at 325-350F (165-175C)

Adjust. Your first try will tell you all you need to know about what worked well, and what didn't (and why) for your oven/cookware/taste. By your second (worst case: fourth) try you'll be glad you experimented, and it'll be on it's way to being a personal classic (SO many possible variations: pickled jalapenos in any layer, chopped onion on cheese layers, epaxote on beans, and more  -- just ask)

#3 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Are you looking for recipes that can be frozen for later?

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:01 PM

View PostOrpheus, on 27 December 2017 - 12:50 AM, said:

I'm no making many new foods now b/c my elderly parents' palates want familiarity, but here's just one recent tried-and-true winner: "enchilada casserole"

Think "lasagna", but mexican.
Adjust. Your first try will tell you all you need to know about what worked well, and what didn't (and why) for your oven/cookware/taste. By your second (worst case: fourth) try you'll be glad you experimented, and it'll be on it's way to being a personal classic (SO many possible variations: pickled jalapenos in any layer, chopped onion on cheese layers, epaxote on beans, and more  -- just ask)

Sounds delicious :D

View PostM.E., on 04 January 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Are you looking for recipes that can be frozen for later?

Not particularly, but I never mind hearing good ideas :)

I already freeze spaghetti sauce (cooked with additions like ground meat, onion, pepper, celery, mushrooms).

I also try to freeze stuff I won't be able to use up quick enough as a single person (too many ripe advocados? Make guacamole and freeze it. Made 3 cups of hummus? Freeze some! Found those two things rather amendable to freezing. I can hardly stand store-bought versions of those anymore).

This fall I have bought like 4-6 recipes books so there is stuff in there I still have to explore. The book I got the pierogies from also has different type of dumplings, which of course you can fill with what about whatever you want.

I am also making Jar Salads for work lunches, make sure I get more greens in my diet. (and I love vegetables, even leafy ones, so it is 'just' a matter of planning and organizing and trying to not let it rot).
For lunch this week I had spinach /roasted sweet potato /almond /feta/ mustard dressing.

I make home-made cinnamon rolls Sunday, cornbread Tuesday.

Edited by sierraleone, 04 January 2018 - 06:01 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#5 Elara

Elara

Feel the silence of the moonlight.

• Watchdog
  • 2,896 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:35 PM

I tend to experiment a lot, sometimes with really good results, sometimes just okay results. I can say that what I have tried has never been inedible, just not a "Let's have that again!" result, a time or two. :lol: I'm also the type to just toss stuff together, maybe remember how much or what I used, maybe not. I have a few "one hit wonders" that I have made, but couldn't remember what I did when I decided to make it again.

Last Sunday I wanted chicken and knew I had a half of a chicken breast in the freezer (cooked). So, I threw some chicken broth into the slow cooker, with the chicken breast and let it cook until the breast thawed. Then I pulled it apart and started adding in whatever I thought would work. In this case, I added two cans of white chili beans, one can of plain black beans (rinsed), chopped onions, some minced garlic, a cup of cooked carrot slices and some frozen corn. That was first thing in the morning and it was done by afternoon. If I would have had the time to peel potatoes, I would have added them, too. Instead, I cooked some up later and poured the stew/chili over the potatoes.

Last summer I decided to mix taco seasoning into hamburger. Considered what would work with that concoction, so added salsa, black olives, chopped onion, mild red peppers (from my garden), an egg, and chopped up some tortilla chips for filling. Two pounds of hamburger makes about 15 patties, so I freeze them to use any time.

Then I tried taco seasoning and rice in the slow cooker. Chicken broth, onions, a cup of my frozen tomato sauce, black olives, black beans (rinsed), frozen corn and either cooked pork sausage or hamburger.

The other thing I like to experiment with is lasagna (in the oven). Aside from the basic lasagna, we've had taco, pizza, beef stroganoff (yep, stroganoff), and tuna. Next one I want to try is salmon, and maybe a mac and cheese type. The only rule to them is that they have to be basically toss together and place in the oven. If I have enough for two lasagnas, I'll cut the second one up and freeze the slices.

Something I tried recently was to make sage dressing in the slow cooker. Not a huge fan of that, but I will try it once more before I give up. (I use my slow cookers a lot!)

I also tried a bread pudding (in the oven), made with pumpkin. It turned out fairly good, but I didn't have the right spices, so it was on the bland side. I will have to try again this week, now that I have everything.

Yesterday I bought some chicken legs just to put into the slow cooker, then build around them with something yet to be determined. Which will be "built" tonight.

And now I am hungry. :)
El
~ blue crystal glows, the dark side unseen, sparkles in scant light, from sun to planet, to me in between ~

I want a job in HRC's "shadow" cabinet. Good pay, really easy hours, lots of time off. Can't go wrong.

"You have a fair and valid point here. I've pointed out, numerous times, that the Left's or Democrats always cry "Racist" whenever someone disagrees with them. I failed to realize that the Right or Republicans do the same thing with "Liberal"." ~ LotS

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:58 PM

^ You aren't the only one hungry now!

Luckily I have some left over taco filling from yesterday, along with first-time home-made-tortillas :) Some of first ones I made weren't quite nicely round ;)

- Masha Gessen

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

I had a co-worker make these little sandwiches that were delicious. She used those Hawaiian bread buns, turkey and ham, Swiss cheese, and a sauce that she spread on top. They were so good. I ate more than I should have.

I got the recipe from her and made some myself. They weren't quite as good as hers but I figure I'll get there. I usually don't bake anything beyond simple stuff like hot dogs, hamburgers, etc. I kept getting the measurements wrong at first.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,043 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 08:06 PM

^ I haven't had Hawaiian bread buns before (that I am aware of). Though I did make some old-fashioned biscuits late last week.
I am sure you'll get the recipe down pat in your next try or two :)

For dinner tonight I had a recipe that I first made a month ago, and now it is like a bi-weekly thing. This time I was looking at the Tofu my roommate had left behind, and used it instead of chicken. It is a pretty basic recipe, plus a yummy home-made peanut-butter sauce. Chicken (or tofu), Broccoli (stem & florets, stems cooked for 3 minutes before adding florets), peanut-butter sauce. Served on rice…. that was cooked with coconut milk….. yum yum yum yum yum. First time I ate this I thought I had died and gone to heaven.

Edited by sierraleone, 23 January 2018 - 04:28 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#9 Pip

Pip

Still a pervy hobbit fancier... all these years later

• Islander
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 03:01 PM

About a year and a half ago, I decided to cut processed sugars and chemicals out of my diet in an effort to be more conscientious of what I was putting into my body. I fell off that for a while (the holidays in a Sicilian family, man... not conducive to self-control, lol). I recently rededicated and have been looking at some Whole 30 recipes and also been experimenting more with gluten free options as well.

I have also been trying to be more creative with my cooking and learning what goes well together and what doesn't (this is easy for me in my baking but I struggle with it in my cooking). So last night, I baked some chicken breasts with Kerrygold Irish Unsalted butter, fresh lime juice, diced spinach and red pepper, and just a touch of oregano and basil. Paired that with some root vegetables (sweet potatoes, turnip, parsnip) roasted in a honey bourbon glaze and some roasted beets with just a touch of coconut oil and kosher salt. It came out quite well!
Dance as if no one were watching, sing as if no one were listening, and live every day as if it were your last.  --Irish Proverb

#10 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,808 posts

Posted 26 February 2018 - 01:17 PM

I have also been trying to be more creative with my cooking and learning what goes well together and what doesn't (this is easy for me in my baking but I struggle with it in my cooking). So last night, I baked some chicken breasts with Kerrygold Irish Unsalted butter, fresh lime juice, diced spinach and red pepper, and just a touch of oregano and basil. Paired that with some root vegetables (sweet potatoes, turnip, parsnip) roasted in a honey bourbon glaze and some roasted beets with just a touch of coconut oil and kosher salt. It came out quite well!

About half of the food you listed are not appealing to me at all but you make the completed dish sound amazing. I'm glad it came out well for you.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users