THE X-FILES - S11, E2: "This"...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,636 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 08:14 PM

An old friend reaches out to Mulder and Scully in a seemingly impossible way, revealing a chilling secret.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,881 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

And I finally saw it-- On Demand had been giving me an error message when I tried to watch it before.

"Accuse your enemies of that which you are guilty."  That popped up during the title sequence.  Is that new and I never noticed it before?   It really sums up the nature of the contemporary Culture War and is consistent with Mulder's statement that everything they had fought against coming true.

I suppose it's futile to try to make too much sense of X-Files, but that seemed especially random. Okay, Russians are operating on US soil. I get that, and it's amusing, but why are they suddenly after Mulder and Scully and why can't Mulder and Scully go back to their office and why is Skinner giving them handouts in the woods?  The immediate threat seemed to be over at the end, since they went home to Mulder's cabin, but what the hell?  And why was it so imperative to destroy the virtual reality server?  Just because Langley Headroom asked?  Or was there some other implicit threat that I missed?  The basic idea of preserving humanity through virtual reality in the face of an extinction-level event seems like a pretty good one to me.  Maybe they should concentrate on upgrading the simulation.

That was a nicely creepy twist ending, though.  After all that-- "Destroy the backup!" And then the assassin appears. But does that mean this will be an ongoing plot thread, or was it just a twist for the sake of a twist.

It was an interesting reveal to find out that (almost) all of the X-Files have been digitized and made available online. It certainly makes sense, and seems like the right thing to do, but I'm sure there will be consequences.  I've got to say, I really feel bad for Skinner. He's always caught in the middle and seems to be doing the best he can in an untenable situation-- and you know that if he tries to quit he'll end up in that Village with Patrick McGoohan.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

And why was it so imperative to destroy the virtual reality server?  Just because Langley Headroom asked?  Or was there some other implicit threat that I missed?  The basic idea of preserving humanity through virtual reality in the face of an extinction-level event seems like a pretty good one to me.

I think the explanation Langley gave was that the server was being used with the same motives as CSM #2 was espousing from last week... the whole "only the elite will survive the coming apocalypse" situation.  And actually, imdb is telling me that the lady who Mulder talked to about possibly signing up to be digitized is the same one who was CSM #2's ally (I don't pay enough attention to have recognized her) so I guess it's explicitly the same agenda.  Mulder had already rejected that agenda last week, so I guess his decision to shut down the servers is consistent with that?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,881 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

Ah, I thought she looked familiar, but I didn't place her either. Still, I don't see the point in destroying the AI versions of Langley and the others. Better that the elite survive the Apocalypse than nobody-- and it sounds like they are uploading the intellectual elite, not just the upper crust. Since you can upload anybody who uses a phone, my response would be to upload everybody who uses a phone, rather than destroy the ones who are already uploaded. Maybe it will make more sense later.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

I had the sense that it was more a case of them "enslaving" the AI versions of intelligent people to use their intelligence to create other tech that would allow the elites to survive?  So borrowing the brains of a Stephen Hawking so that the Donald Trumps of the world could buy their way out of the apocalypse.  It would have been a lot more interesting of an episode if they'd engaged with questions like that, for sure.  Is it really "enslavement" if the people being enslaved are just programs?  What are the rights and wrongs of who "should" survive?  Etc.  I guess we have other shows to give us the thinky stuff like that, though. :p
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 11,881 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:26 PM

Yeah, I think it would have been better if they delved more-- or at least offered a concrete motivation in context. It looks to me like they just killed those people in the virtual world (or tried to). If they're enslaved, free them-- maybe they would want to use their intelligence to find ways to save mankind from the Apocalypse.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users