• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 01:37 AM

2.67+ million USans died in 2017. A record 10,000 were organ donors -- but that's still just 3/8 of 1%.

To me, that's disgraceful. I became an organ donor the day after I was legally allowed in 1980.

If you can't be a 1%'er with your bank accounts, be one with your heart (or lung or liver). Be a hero! Save a life!

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,171 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:16 AM

I am a registered organ donor. Glad to do my part when I am dead. Boy that sounds wrong. Though I have to say when I saw the title my first though was "be an organ donor"? Is this about kidneys or liver or bone marrow, something you can do while alive? Mainly my overly analytical mind went into over drive on the sense that, to be the kind of organ donor you are referring to, one cannot be, and be. At the same time. Follow? ;) Though, one has to consent to their organs to be donated after they die while they are still alive, naturally.

So, I have consented and plan for my organs to be donated after all my body has ceased functioning for me, which by extension has ended my conscious existence here on Earth. Unless maybe we are uploading conscious onto computers by then.

Anyways, humour aside (well, humorous to me, I like my funky brain), yes, please register to be an organ donor, and save lives.
Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,530 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

I've been an organ donor also since the early 80s.  Of course, by the time I die, they'll probably be printing the things out left and right, anyway.  I'll be like a used book while everybody else is downloading to their Kindle.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Selene

Selene

Traveling Companion

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:10 AM

I registered as an organ donor about 18 years ago, when I first had the ability to make that choice for myself. I believe that we should leave the world better off than it was when we first arrived, and if that means one of my organs gives life, or improves its quality for someone else, then I will have kept my oath.

#5 Raeven

Raeven

Having a Mads moment

• Administrator
  • 24,343 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 02:18 PM

I registered when I turned 18, if there is anything left that can be used, then let it be used :)

It's very complex. If the pizza man truly loves this babysitter, why does he keep slapping her rear? Perhaps she has done something wrong ~ Castiel

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 04:03 PM

Our Canadian organ donation system is a sticker on our health cards plus registration. I've done it since it was first introduced.

Plus I'm leaving my cadaver to science (medical students need a steady supply), and my brain is going to be studied for genetic stuff related to mental illness, plus abnormalities that can't be otherwise studied.

Any stuff left over, they can make soup.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users