Black Lightning DCEU CW TV

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

Black Lightning is set to debut tonight at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central on the CW.

It actually looks like a good one.

So, who's going to be starting threads on this?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 January 2018 - 12:49 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,931 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:04 PM

I've never gotten into the CW superhero shows, so I doubt if I'll get around to watching it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:00 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 16 January 2018 - 06:04 PM, said:

I've never gotten into the CW superhero shows, so I doubt if I'll get around to watching it.

I'm watching it now, and it's extremely different from the others. It's more like DC's answer to Netflix's Luke Cage. (Which is fitting, since the comics character was DC's answer to Luke Cage in the first place, with Power Man/Heroes for Hire writer Tony Isabella brought in by DC to create him.) Although it adds a new element with the family dynamic of Pierce, his daughters, and his ex-wife. It's impressive, if a bit unsubtle. Or maybe "unflinching" is the word.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,388 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:13 PM

How about we do one thread for the entire show? That might generate more discussion. I'd take it weekly but I suck as it is getting my threads up in a timely manner. You'll notice I still don't have Flash up. I promise to do better, though.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:46 PM

I was unimpressed with the advertising, and thought it seemed a little cheesy, which was making me mad. But the actual episode was great.

Black Lightning is a man in an impossible, relentless situation, trying to make good in spite of the disintegration and despair. I thought one of the strongest moments was when he explained his rationale for NOT being Black Lightning. Based on his rationale, his work as a high school principal threading a very narrow needle was doing more good than Black Lightning ever could. Unfortunately, the return of Black Lightning therefore is ultimately a failure... a result of desperation.  I will be interested in knowing how they balance the dichotomy of the story, which has led with the obvious fact that gang violence, police violence and entrenched (and potentially reinforced) ghettoization don't go away with the rise of a vigilante hero.

I like both daughters immensely and am looking forward to the rest of the series.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#6 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:26 AM

Give me a few hours, I have the episode of my DVR.

Oh, and BTW, DVR is the best invention EVER! Was talking with my cousin, who reminded me how I busted his chops about DVRing shows, before I got a DVR. How I managed to watch shows without DVR...I don't know.

back on topic: Will post my thoughts about the show in a little while, once I actually watch the show.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:00 AM

I, too, liked the show.

I like that they are taking the time to flesh out the community and its nuances, and that they bothered to enumerate the problems the costumed vigilante has in waging war on crime.  Namely, where does it end?  Does it ever end, other than with his death?  And the show also touched on the incidents of police interactions within the black community, even when their [presumed] commissioner is himself black.

It was nice seeing the conflict the commissioner had in trying to protect the community, while also supporting his men.  Likewise, it was fascinating that within the community, the leaders would attempt to come to a modus vivendi with the gangs, in order to forestall problems rather than rely on the cops to protect them.

Also, the whole interaction between the “gang-banger” and the younger daughter clearly depicts the instance where she clearly said “NO” and he refused to listen and persisted, leading to future complications.  Especially when the 100 was left free to operate until HE opted to go after the one girl he should not have gone after, leading to the return of Black Lightning.  And it appears as if the older daughter might be more than willing to back her father should he go that route.

It’s nice to see the hero having other concerns that donning the costume wouldn’t solve.

In short, the show is tackling any number of real world problems while trying define the role the costumed vigilante has in trying to solve it.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

View PostG-man, on 17 January 2018 - 11:00 AM, said:

And the show also touched on the incidents of police interactions within the black community, even when their [presumed] commissioner is himself black.

Bill Henderson's title is Inspector, as it has been since he debuted in the Adventures of Superman radio show in the 1940s. In United States usage, that title is a few ranks below commissioner but higher than a captain, more of a division commander. (Although in the San Francisco PD, it used to be the equivalent of "Detective," which seems to be how the original radio and TV series used the title.)

Likewise, it was fascinating that within the community, the leaders would attempt to come to a modus vivendi with the gangs, in order to forestall problems rather than rely on the cops to protect them.

Fascinating but sad, given how completely the police in the US have failed to protect the black community. We've seen superheroes who were at odds with the police before, but usually with the understanding that they were really on the same side and it was just a misunderstanding. In a context like this, though, the police can be as much of a threat as a supervillain.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#9 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:42 PM

I liked this episode, really liked it.

I liked that he was dealing with the obvious problems that would come from being a vigilante. I'm real curious to know more of the back story between him and his ex, and why it didn't work out even after he stopped being Black Lightning.

Still not wild about the whole mini face mask completely hiding his identity. Yes, that plot device works great when you're a kid, but not so much when you're an adult. His daughters, at least, should've easily recognized him. Arrow at least, temporarily, dealt with the absurdity of this kind of mask concealing an identity; even if they back tracked with Black Canary. And Super Girl is still doing the whole absurd glasses conceal BS, so I can probably forgive the whole mini mask concealing identity.

Long and short...I liked it, and I'm definitely eager to keep watching.

From what we saw at the end, and from what I've read online, there's a chance his daughters will also have powers. He's already got his hands full with them being normal teenagers, adding super powers on top of that...not going to be a fun time for Black Lightning. LOL.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

Bumping for Episode 2 - Lawanda:  The Book of Hope.

A glimmer of hope appears in the community that Black Lightning is back to combat the violence.

On the CW, tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 23 January 2018 - 01:15 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#11 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:18 AM

Series continues to impress. In just two episodes this is my favorite DCTV show, and that's saying something, because I have been with Arrow and the Flash loyally from the beginning.

The only sour note was the fridging of Lawanda. That sucked and I really wonder why writers don't just...stop doing that.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#12 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:52 AM

It's always interesting to me when a second episode filmed months after the pilot feels like the second half of the pilot. Last week showed Jefferson coming out of retirement to save his daughters, but this was the episode that showed him truly becoming Black Lightning again, embracing the calling. I'm glad for that. Too many screen superhero stories try to fit superheroes into stock cinematic action tropes like revenge or protecting one's own family or fixing one's own mistakes. But superheroes are supposed to be protectors of the community or world that they inhabit, putting themselves on the line for everyone rather than just their own interests. And this episode did a great job establishing that community and showing it, in a way, actively urging Jefferson to step up and help them.

The sense of BL as a local hero with close ties to the community reminds me of one of my favorite comics, Ms. Marvel. It gives it an interesting texture, a real sense of connection with what's being protected. The "Batgirl of Burnside" comics of recent years have had a similar flavor as well, though without as strong an ethnic component.

I also love superhero stories that show civilians appreciating the heroes and being willing to step up and help them in return for all the help they've given their communities. Usually that's in extreme situations where the hero is in danger, like in Superman 2 where the Metropolitans try to rise up against the Phantom Zone villains after they think Superman's been killed, or in the marvelous subway sequence in Spider-Man 2. The familiarity and helpfulness that the doorman and elevator operator extended to BL here was on a smaller scale, but it gave me the same heartwarming feeling, that sense of the hero inspiring others to want to make a difference too.

I wonder when we'll see our first supervillain show up here. It's been made pretty clear that a fair number of people in this show's world are superhuman -- the pilot had a talking head on TV reference superheroes in other cities, and clearly Anissa has her own superpowers. So there must be some superpowered bad guys too. I don't think I want this show to use the same "supervillain of the week" formula that other shows use, not if it gets in the way of the more intimate, community-driven narrative, but it could get boring if all of BL's adversaries were just guys with guns, not offering him any real challenge.

View PostQueenTiye, on 24 January 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

The only sour note was the fridging of Lawanda. That sucked and I really wonder why writers don't just...stop doing that.

It didn't feel like a fridging to me, because LaWanda wasn't passive and didn't just die in service to the male lead's story. Okay, she did, but she was also pursuing her own narrative arc, her own goal to rescue her daughter, and it was her relentless heroism and sacrifice that shamed Jefferson into realizing he couldn't hold back anymore -- that if you have the means to make a difference for your community, you have an obligation to act, no matter the risk. (Which, come to think of it, was the exact theme of the preceding Flash episode.) Her story didn't just serve BL's, it drove it.

Besides, this is a show whose focus is on the community the hero is protecting, giving them faces and personalities, making them more than just anonymous bystanders like they tend to be on other superhero shows. And that means that sometimes characters we've gotten to know and care about are going to die. Overall, I think that's better than having the victims just be faces in a crowd. Most superhero shows focus their attention mainly on the villains of the week -- I like the idea of a show that focuses more on the civilians the hero is protecting, or sometimes failing to protect. There used to be a lot of shows like that, not just superhero shows but cop and detective and lawyer shows and so forth, where the weekly focus was as much on the civilians who needed the heroes' help as on the villains who threatened them, if not more so. Modern superhero shows and movies have gotten so focused on the battle between superhero and supervillain that the people being protected have become ciphers.

Facebook Author Page

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 11:14 AM

I, too, saw Lawanda’s death as a purposeful sacrifice, rather than her being a victim.  She had purposefully set up her phone to record the confrontation, and she then deliberately confronted Lala, probably knowing that it would result in her death.  After all, before she set out she had offered an apology for not waiting.  Why?  Perhaps she was hoping that her sacrifice would bring about the return of Black Lightning.

However, the show did offer up the problems with direct confrontations with those who have scant regard for life or property.  Unless, one is prepared to resort to direct actions to stop them, as opposed to confrontation and threat to inform on them, sometimes it is more prudent to hold one’s temper.

Now, the conversation I really liked was between the ex-wife and the tailor regarding Black Lightning.  The notion of crusading with super powers being an addiction is an interesting one, but as the tailor pointed out, that the crusade against crime and injustice is not one that one can simply declare victory and go home after some successes.  It is never-ending, and it must always be fought.  That it was her having Black Lightning stop his crusade is why the community is now in such a sorry state was probably an idea that had not occurred to her.  In which case, she really was in a no win situation …

But, yes, this is the difficulty behind the costumed crusader having a family to protect.  Does he prioritize who he looks out for, or is the family essentially left to its own devices as he fights the greater fight for the community at large?

All in all, I’m liking that they are developing the community and given this show its own distinct flavor … and I’m hoping that they can refrain from the frequent cross-overs with the other heroes at least for the first year (or two), and allow our hero to focus his efforts on trying to reclaim his community.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 12:57 PM

View PostG-man, on 24 January 2018 - 11:14 AM, said:

Now, the conversation I really liked was between the ex-wife

Lynn Stewart (Christine Adams).

and the tailor

Peter Gambi (James Remar).

Other names we should probably get to know: The high school vice principal (who seems to be flirting with Jefferson) is named Kara Fowdy (Skye Marshall). And Jennifer's new track-star boyfriend is Khalil (Jordan Calloway, who also plays Chuck Clayton on Riverdale).

Oddly, nobody in the show seems to have mentioned Inspector Henderson's first name yet. Jefferson called him "Henderson" even though they appear to be good friends. He's always been called William (Bill) Henderson in the past, though.

A bit of trivia: This is the third time that Inspector Henderson has been portrayed onscreen as African-American. The first was in season 1 of Lois & Clark (played first by Mel Winkler and then by Brent Jennings), though he was recast as Richard Belzer in subsequent seasons. The second was in one episode of Superman: The Animated Series, with Winkler reprising the role, interestingly enough.

EDIT: Here's an article about the history of Black Lightning in the comics:

http://www.looper.co...lack-lightning/

Originally, Pierce had no superpowers; his electrical abilities came from the suit built for him by Peter Gambi, who was the brother of an established Flash character who made the costumes for the Flash's Rogues. I guess that explains why BL's mentor in the show is a tailor. They're splitting the difference between the original version of the character and the retconned, metahuman version -- his powers are innate, but Gambi still makes him special gear with features like body armor and a voice changer.

Edited by Christopher, 24 January 2018 - 01:38 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#15 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

I'm really liking this show.

Not really sure what was going on with his powers in the beginning though? Was the Lightning healing him? Also not really sure what the extent of BL's powers are? How did he survive a fall from the penthouse level?

I still want to know more of the backstory between BL and his ex wife, specifically why they split up? Because from the pilot, BL DID stop being BL for her, so I want to know what happened and why she left?

I do like that this show isn't messing around when it comes to gang life, and all that it entails. And it certainly has no problems killing off boss big characters. I mean killing off Lala was smart, from Tobias's POV, although his comment of "You killed a little girl's mother?" was a tad bit odd. I'm fairly sure that this isn't the first mother Lala has victimized, or killed.

I'm not really liking the younger daughter's character, but that might be my own pet peeve. I tend to not like rebellious teen characters. I keep wanting someone to just smack them upside the head. LOL. The older daughter learning to use her powers....interesting.

Maybe it's me, but in that Penthouse confrontation, it looked to me like the Inspector recognized who BL was.

The conversation between the Tailor and the ex was very deep. I fully understand why she feels the way she does, which is why I want to know what happened and why they aren't together even though he stopped being BL for 9 years.

I did like the comment one of the TV guests said about why BL might've returned: "That if BL returned to help the community, then he was all for it. But that if he returned for purely personal reasons, then he was against it."

#16 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 03:42 PM

She left first and then he quit to try to put his family back together.

Tobias may not have been micromanaging La La, but now La La's causing trouble, including the reappearance of Black Lightning, and he's taking a closer look.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#17 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Bumping for Episode 3 – Lawanda:  Book of Burial

As Jefferson Pierce tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning, Anissa starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer reveals to her parents that s (more…)As Jefferson Pierce tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning, Anissa starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer reveals to her parents that she has been grappling with something big.

Remember to tune into CW tonight at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#18 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:31 AM

The show continues to impress.

I’m liking that they are actually delving into the community’s reaction to the reappearance of Black Lightning, and what this is inspiring them to do, and how their reaction in turn is obliging Black Lightning to act.

Likewise, it is nice to see someone gain powers and then wonder about what she should do, even as she tries to master her new found abilities, and figure out just how she got them.  Ms. Black Lives Matter (Jennifer), might have always had a notion about entering the crime-fighting business to reclaim the streets, but it was nice to see that she was contemplating the pros and cons of costumed crime-fighting.

Meanwhile, the younger sister … well, she works.  That we’re seeing a broken, yet still functional family being depicted is a refreshing change.  And I had to smile at Dr. Pierce’s “hazing” of his daughter’s boyfriend.

I’m feeling for Inspector Henderson.  He desperately wants to believe in his Police Department, and his mission, despite being faced with its shortcomings and the community’s justifiable vilification of that institution, and by extension him.  I’m wondering if there just might be some jealousy underlying his condemnation of Black Lightning.  While there is plenty of justification for his condemnation, he is an officer of the law, while Black Lightning is a costumed vigilante who is potentially provoking a crisis with the 100.

That Tobias Whale answers to Lady Eve was certainly an interesting revelation.  And it is nice that we’re actually seeing how the underworld is responding to this development.  Although, it does raise the question, what happened that led Tobias to believe that he had killed Black Lightning, and why did Gambi erase the video evidence of Tobias presence at the demonstration?

Now, some other questions I have:  Just what did the Reverend expect the March to accomplish?  It is a show of solidarity, but in a confrontation with a criminal organization, did he really expect them to repent and reform as opposed to resorting to violence?

Another puzzler was the “Amazing Grace” sequence, and Black Lightning simply standing distracted.  Admittedly, I can see that there was a lot of emotion going on, but that distraction was costly -- especially when I was expecting him to continue to be on the lookout for further threats.  Likewise, how could the assassin, when told to kill Black Lightning, managed to miss a stationary target?  Was it purposeful?  Does the assassin actually have her own agenda?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 31 January 2018 - 11:31 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#19 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,919 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:02 PM

View PostG-man, on 31 January 2018 - 11:31 AM, said:

Ms. Black Lives Matter (Jennifer)

No, that's Anissa. Jennifer is the younger sister.

Meanwhile, the younger sister … well, she works.

I love the maturity and responsibility with which she and Khalil approached the decision to have sex, and Jennifer's openness about it with her parents. They were a lot smarter about it than their parents probably were at their age. Or at least Jennifer was.

Now, some other questions I have:  Just what did the Reverend expect the March to accomplish?  It is a show of solidarity, but in a confrontation with a criminal organization, did he really expect them to repent and reform as opposed to resorting to violence?

It was supposed to bring the community together and give them the strength to defy the 100. There's nothing remotely new about black communities standing up against institutions that use violence against them; that's the only way they've ever won freedom and civil rights in this country.

Facebook Author Page

#20 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

^^^ Well, yeah.  Those institutions are supposed to represent justice and fairness and thus can be shamed by the attention the marchers bring to their corruption, malfeasance and failures.  Something that public opinion can usually be united against.  Even if the establishment uses the police to forcibly disperse the marchers, the protestors can use that as further evidence of the injustice running rampant in their community.

OTOH, criminal organizations are a beast of a different species.  To think that a march, and media attention, would affect the 100 the same way is … rather naïve (IMHO).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black Lightning, DCEU, CW TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users