• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#21 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 01:24 PM

View PostG-man, on 31 January 2018 - 12:33 PM, said:

^^^ Well, yeah.  Those institutions are supposed to represent justice and fairness and thus can be shamed by the attention the marchers bring to their corruption, malfeasance and failures.

The institutions I'm talking about include slavery and Jim Crow. They had nothing whatsoever to do with justice and fairness, certainly not toward black people.

OTOH, criminal organizations are a beast of a different species.  To think that a march, and media attention, would affect the 100 the same way is … rather naïve (IMHO).

The march was not meant to affect the 100. The march was meant to rally the community and build solidarity among them so that they wouldn't let themselves be rolled over by the 100 anymore, so they'd have the courage to fight back. It was a statement that the marchers intended to follow the example of heroes like LaWanda White and Black Lightning, that they would build on what those two had started.

Surely you've seen stories like that before -- businesses terrorized by a protection racket, a community leader rallying them to stand together and collectively refuse to pay, never mind the risk. I know I have; it's a pretty common fictional trope. Protection rackets thrive by making the business owners too afraid to defy them, too afraid to stand together and present a united front. If the victims of the racket decide to stand together against the racket, that isn't because they think they can reason with the racketeers, it's because they want to show the racketeers that they aren't afraid anymore, that even the threat of death won't keep them under control anymore.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#22 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 05:49 PM

Not really, at least not without some champion who'd carry the fight to the racketeers, effectively eliminating them as a presence, much less a force, within the community.

The march itself -- well, maybe that is what they were depicting -- isn't enough by itself to solve the problem, but it would serve as a sign that the community was ready to try for a solution.  Which is also what Tobias and Lady Eve was talking about.  The display of resolve would affect the 100's position, and such a display must not be tolerated.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#23 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

^Nobody assumed the march would solve the problem. Sometimes you have to stand up to a problem even if you know you're unlikely to win, because otherwise you're bound to lose. Just look at how many leaders in the fight for civil rights were martyred -- and how that just drove people to fight harder in response rather than backing down. It's not about expecting to win, or even expecting to stay alive. It's about knowing that you still have to fight anyway.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#24 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 10:24 PM

I haven't seen the latest episode yet.  My question, because I never read any comics as a kid or adult except the ones that came in the Saturday newspaper.  Is the wife and the tailor the only ones that know about his powers?  I ask because I am wondering why the daughter has not said anything to her family.

#25 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:03 AM

I thought Tobias was bad, but Lady Eve seems downright sinister. The way she went from talking about church goers, like she was one of them, to downright evil mob boss...damn!

Hands down the funniest scene was the family dinner, with the younger daughter dropping the whole "I'm going to be having sex on Saturday, but I'll be home by curfew." LOL. The looks on her parents faces...priceless.

The best line of the episode had to go to Jefferson, confronting the boyfriend. "Are you planning on giving my daughter athlete foot in places Athlete's foot should never be?" LOL.

I'm guessing it was either Tobias, or Lady Eve, that pulled the strings to have only one police car guarding the march. I can't see how the politicians of the city, who made that happen, were planning on dealing with the community uproar, if the massacre had happened? Although I was surprised that during the march, and the shooting, there was no sign of that one police car.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#26 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:25 PM

Black Lightning:  Episode 4 – Black Jesus

Black Lightning is recruited to rally against The 100 gang. Anissa investigates the new drug hitting the streets. Meanwhile, familiar faces begin to reappear.

And the sneak peek, where the show reminds viewers why they shouldn’t take liberties with the Truth on their resume:

Remember to tune into the CW tonight at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#27 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:44 AM

OK, I confess to feeling sorry for Khalil.  And them telling Jennifer she can’t be by his side, though well intentioned, did come across as cold – much less them trying to table her decision to leave track.  If being on track is genuinely her choice, then it’s her mistake to make to leave it for Khalil.

As for the Ex (Lynn?) … yeah, she didn’t come across so well this episode, albeit, her message at the end to Jefferson did at least express the emotional conflict she’s struggling with.

I’m struggling to understand just what is going on with the Vice-Principal.  If the Principal has the final say on whether or not a student stays, then why is the board even a factor?  Actually, why is the school board taking particular interest in one student at one school, when they ought to have bigger fish to fry … unless that school has its own governing board, but even then, the board (or someone) seems discontent to follow the rules as established, hence the whole pressing for the nonsensical change.  Either the principal has the final say, or he doesn’t, and I don’t think the board could simply do a rules change without discussions with the principal and holding a hearing.  It seems to me that the Vice Principal is out to undermine Jefferson in the running of his school.

Then there is Anissa’s coming into her own as Thunder, and looking for affirmation for her decision.  I’m thinking the bartender was still in the “WTF happened?” zone when Anissa asked her question.  And then their dinner with the Hendersons … yeah, “with respect” … Inspector Henderson really has a hard road to hoe in trying to address the shortcomings of his department, while arguing against vigilante action.

But, I think Tobias’ visit to Khalil is going to reinforce Henderson’s arguments that vigilante actions come with a cost.

And speaking of Tobias, aside from the interim appraisal from Lady Eve, he … well, he did have some justification towards the guy who misinformed him of Black Lightning’s fate.  All of which raises the question of what did happen 9 years ago.  Was that when we saw Jefferson bleeding out in the tub, promising his wife that he’d quit?

Still, another solid entry for this series.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#28 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:26 PM

View PostG-man, on 07 February 2018 - 11:44 AM, said:

I’m struggling to understand just what is going on with the Vice-Principal.  If the Principal has the final say on whether or not a student stays, then why is the board even a factor?

Because they don't want him to have that final say, and are trying to change the policy. As Jefferson said, they do have the power to cancel his contract and replace him if they don't like his decisions.

Actually, why is the school board taking particular interest in one student at one school, when they ought to have bigger fish to fry …

Politics. They want to crack down on drug use for appearances' sake. And there's probably a racial aspect too. Draconian anti-drug laws have been used for decades as a smokescreen for attacking minority communities and channeling their members into the prison system so their labor can be exploited.

It seems to me that the Vice Principal is out to undermine Jefferson in the running of his school.

I doubt that, considering that she's been baldly flirting with him since the pilot. Inviting him to discuss school business over dinner, meaningfully telling him she's there for him if he needs anything, etc. But Jeff is totally oblivious to it because he's still in love with Lynn.

In her own way, Ms. Fowdy is trying to protect Jeff. But she's less idealistic and more politically oriented than he is, so she's telling him what he needs to do to survive. It's the system that's trying to undermine him, the politics of the school board. She just wants him to be a realist about it so that his idealism doesn't get him fired.

Facebook Author Page

#29 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 03:17 PM

I'm now two episodes behind because I'm trying to wait to watch with my husband.  But just a word about school boards.  It's possible that the school is a charter school, which would mean it's board is only over the school.  And charter schools often have very lousy boards that make political decisions, pocket money, etc., and are sometimes there as a stepping stone to further political ambitions.  I lived this with my son many years ago, watching the principle try to manage with a schoolboard of concerned parents, community leaders, etc.  Peoples good intentions (when they existed at all) were always alloyed with their personal agendas.

And yes - this was an "inner city" charter school.  So.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#30 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 08:03 PM

Notes on episode 3:

Freeland United Methodist Church. I grew up United Methodist. Pastors are usually salaried, and moved about by the conference. Not all that typical for the pastor to be over the church in the neighborhood where he grew up. And, that's true of other Methodist denominations. So, that was inaccurate. They should have gone with a Baptist or C.O.G.I.C. church.

Nice to hear Aretha Franklin's Mary Don't You Weep at the top of the episode.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#31 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 01:14 PM

Good point about the school possibly being a Charter School, QT, I had not considered that possibility ...

And I have to give the show props showing that our boy does have problems he must deal with at his day job that goes outside of simply fostering a safe learning environment for the students.  It helps to sell that he really is leading a double life, and doesn’t have the time to deal with office politics as he is busy dealing with everything else.  So, good read on that, Christopher.

Now, wasn’t Anissa (the older sister) a teacher at that school?  Has she completely abandoned her classes, or is the show merely focusing on her off-duty hours as she is learning to control her powers and become a hero?  If the latter, I think it a disservice, if only because she, too, would be juggling her day job with her extracurricular activities.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#32 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 10:32 AM

I got the feeling she was only a part-time teacher (she's also a med student, IIRC). So she's already leading a double life.

And still somehow has time to date.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#33 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 13 February 2018 - 09:32 AM

^^^ Well, in fairness, her girlfriend broke up with her when she went to cosplay night at the club ... so her dating life was already operating in her "spare time".  Thus, yeah juggling two jobs plus a social life will certainly eat up the hours, much less doing all the protests, marches, and whatever else.  When you add in any vigilante training/activities, I predict her social life will take a hit.

However ...

Episode 5:  And then the Devil brought the plague:  Book of the Green Light

An unexpected phone call unearths the long-buried need for Jefferson to investigate the murder of his father. Meanwhile, Annisa wrestles with the fact that her actions have dire consequences; and Jennifer learns the importance of controlling her temper in all situations.

Sneak Peek … talk about your mixed emotions ;)

So remember to tune into the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#34 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

Hurmmmm … I’m not really feeling Black Lightning’s new flight ability.

Aside from it causing [presumably] some feedback triggering headaches and provoking aggressive tendencies, it’s not particularly efficient.  I mean, yeah, it might enable him to move from roof-top to roof-top across broad boulevards, but it is (at this stage) slow, not particularly nimble, can attract attention, and prevents him from using his other offensive or defensive abilities as he must focus on flying.

Now, following Anissa/Thunder to uncover the secret origins of Black Lightning, THAT is an interesting choice.  Especially given the ties between Tobias and Gambi, and the mention of the ASA(?) and its experiments, the investigation of which led to grand-dad’s death.  Also, there was that fun sequence of Anissa seeking a practical, yet stylin’, costume for her alter-ego.  I did get a smile when it turns out that Jennifer has been raiding Anissa’s closet and then denies it.

And speaking of denials … yeah, Mom having to deal with the mean girl’s parents, while it is important to de-escalate, that she simply disregarded the fact that there were two girls who were picking on Jennifer is, regrettable.  The problem with simply walking away is that it requires that the tormentors will allow the person to walk away, if they don’t then a confrontation is inevitable, and it might escalate to violence.  That said, Jennifer really should have informed her parents of the run in so that they could be prepared to have her back when confronted by the parents of the other girls.  I guess she thought she had it "handled" and simply didn't want to bother her parents and get another lecture.

Finally, Black Lightning himself must learn NOT TO GO OUT when he’s experiencing problems; especially if it is tied to his equipment.  That not only puts him at risk, but others around him as well.  OTOH, I am glad that he recruited Henderson to his cause, “the black signal” -- heh.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 February 2018 - 11:39 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#35 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 01:15 PM

View PostG-man, on 14 February 2018 - 11:38 AM, said:

Hurmmmm … I’m not really feeling Black Lightning’s new flight ability.

Aside from it causing [presumably] some feedback triggering headaches and provoking aggressive tendencies, it’s not particularly efficient.  I mean, yeah, it might enable him to move from roof-top to roof-top across broad boulevards, but it is (at this stage) slow, not particularly nimble, can attract attention, and prevents him from using his other offensive or defensive abilities as he must focus on flying.

Well, they called it hovering rather than flying. It's not supposed to be identical to what Supergirl or Firestorm could do.

Now, following Anissa/Thunder to uncover the secret origins of Black Lightning, THAT is an interesting choice.  Especially given the ties between Tobias and Gambi, and the mention of the ASA(?) and its experiments, the investigation of which led to grand-dad’s death.

I don't recall any statement that the ASA was behind the experiments.

Also, there was that fun sequence of Anissa seeking a practical, yet stylin’, costume for her alter-ego.

Which was modeled on Thunder's early costume from the comics, albeit with a lot less decolletage.

And speaking of denials … yeah, Mom having to deal with the mean girl’s parents, while it is important to de-escalate, that she simply disregarded the fact that there were two girls who were picking on Jennifer is, regrettable.  The problem with simply walking away is that it requires that the tormentors will allow the person to walk away, if they don’t then a confrontation is inevitable, and it might escalate to violence.  That said, Jennifer really should have informed her parents of the run in so that they could be prepared to have her back when confronted by the parents of the other girls.  I guess she thought she had it "handled" and simply didn't want to bother her parents and get another lecture.

What interests me is that Jennifer didn't even realize she'd broken the girl's wrist. Is she manifesting superstrength? Although in the comics, Jennifer has electrical powers like her father.

OTOH, I am glad that he recruited Henderson to his cause, “the black signal” -- heh.

I'm a little unclear... is Henderson a reluctant ally, or is his public anti-BL stance a cover for his willing cooperation?

Facebook Author Page

#36 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:50 AM

Bumping for Episode 6.  Three Sevens:  The Book of Thunder

Jefferson is on the hunt for his father's killer, while Anissa uses her new powers to rectify a wrong after a protest fails. Jennifer grapples with some difficult choices. Elsewhere, Gambi begs for help from Lynn.

It looks like we might be given a bit more on the origin of Black Lightning.

So, remember to tune into the CW tonight, 9pm Eastern/8pm Central to watch what happens.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 27 February 2018 - 10:01 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#37 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 09:30 PM

Booyah! Easter egg from Uncle John!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#38 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Another good episode from Black Lightning.

I’m guessing Gambi and Lady Eve were both part of the ASA when Grandpa Pierce was doing his investigating.  And now Anissa has inadvertently put herself and her mom in the crosshairs by following up on his research.

My conclusion that it was feedback that was causing Black Lightning’s migraines (or whatever) appears spot on, but, again, it is interesting that his brain-scan resembles that of a person on greenlight.  I’m really not sure what is going on with Greenlight since it obviously isn’t your run of the mill narcotic.

I did like the revelation behind Mom’s antipathy towards Black Lightning’s crime-fighting activities.  That it was Anissa who nailed it, just felt right … and I liked that this did lead to the discussion of the difference between striving for Justice versus striving for Vengeance.

It was also nice to see some good parenting on display between Jennifer and her dad regarding Khalil.  All in all, it makes for a nice change of pace to actually see a function (if fractured) family on screen.

Now, the matter surrounding the statue and subsequent protests … was a bit too on the nose, viz.  Charlotteville.  I have to assume that the park was quietly sold to some “right thinking individual” back during Jim Crow, or maybe even the Civil Rights era, and that individual put up the statue to help cow the black community.  That it was made out of stone rather than bronze … well, yeah, Thunder’s strike wouldn’t have been so effective, so I’ll give them that.

My only real gripe was the Marvel-style smackdown between Black Lightning and Thunder … one of the hazards of charging into a situation blind.  Admittedly, the post-fight scenes do help mitigate my gripe, but still … I do kind of wish that Black Lightning would look before he leaps, even if his emotions are in overdrive.  Still, it looks as if this is going to shape up into a genuine family affair as more and more of them become involved in each other’s crusades.

OTOH, I’m guessing that Tobias’ plans for Khalil is to make him “super” so he’ll be able to battle Black Lightning on Tobias’ behalf.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#39 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 01:57 PM

My main issue with the BL-Thunder fight is that I couldn't believe Jefferson wouldn't recognize his own daughter's features. That face paint is hardly much of a disguise, and Lynn clearly recognized her. It would've made more sense if the room had been darker. (Or maybe Gambi needs to give that visor prescription lenses?)

Facebook Author Page

#40 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,630 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:21 AM

^^^I'd argue that by simply rushing in, expecting his ex-wife to be imperiled, he simply assumed the costumed individual was a hostile.  He had not stopped to assess what exactly was happening, and mistakes were made.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 06 March 2018 - 11:22 AM.

-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black Lightning, DCEU, CW TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users