• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 11:23 AM

Episode 7 - Equinox: The Book of Fate

Black Lightning's pursuit for Tobias continues. Anissa continues to find herself in the new normal.

and the sneak peek:

Ummm :unsure: yeah, it looks as if costumed crusading will be a family affair whether he wants it to, or not.

Remember to tune into the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern, 8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 07 March 2018 - 10:37 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#42 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,309 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Wow.... sad about Jill Scott leaving.

Also, sorry for the weird Uncle John call-out. First off, John Stewart would never say Booyah! That, of course, was Cyborg. But second of all, while I was contemplating my brainfart about John Stewart, it occurred to me that Green Light.... might be a John Stewart reference. Wonder if they find a way to work that?

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#43 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:16 AM

You know, one thing I really like about this show is that the characters actually talk to each other.  Which makes Gimby's keeping secrets all that more regrettable since he does genuinely seem to care about Pierce and his family.

I am sorry that Lady Eve is no more (or is she, given that ending?), she was an interesting character in her own right.  However, given Tobias Whale’s nature, it was only a matter of time before he’d rebel against her keeping him out of the spotlight.

Now, the irony of him being targeted by Black Lightning at the very moment that he was framing Black Lightning for Lady Eve’s death was nicely realized.  Although, I predict no good will come from the death of his sister.

As for Inspector Henderson’s accusation … that’s quite a leap in logic there, given that Black Lightning hadn’t been shown actually killing anyone up to that point.

And that fellow at the end, was that Jennifer’s ex-boyfriend, Khalil Payne? Or, are they introducing a new character who got that tattoo branded on him?  Yeah, that tag scene still has me scratching my head.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

P.S. Oh, according to TVGuide, it seems that it was Lala (the pimp? Who was choked out by Tobias Whale) who was brought back by LaWanda (whom I do not recall at all).  Two characters thought dead, who are dead no more.

Edited by G-man, 13 March 2018 - 08:23 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#44 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 08:28 AM

Bumping for Black Lightning – Episode 8:  Book of Revelations

Black Lightning works with Anissa to help find information to clear Black Lightning's name; Jennifer begins interning for Lynn; Gambi finds himself in a precarious situation.

So, remember to tune into the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 13 March 2018 - 08:29 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#45 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

Oh-Kay … NOW I am remembering Lawanda, which is making what’s going on with Lala all that more creepy.  And I was right, it was the ASA conducting them experiments that Grandpa Pierce was investigating.

A lot happened in this episode with the focus being on the Pierce family (naturally), Lala, and Gambi and the ASA.

Jennifer, the youngest daughter, now has manifested electrical abilities … and it is freaking her out, while Anissa is learning how to use hers and is going out into the field with her father and discovering her limitations, even as she watches his back.  Mom [Lynn], discovers that Grandpa’s files have vanished in the midst of the mess that was the break-in, and is trying to recover any of the data that she had worked with, leading to the discovery of the link between the vaccine of 30 years ago to “Greenlight.”  Meanwhile, Jefferson Pierce is doing his best to mentor his eldest, even as he rediscovers just who she is; even as he now has to operate as an outlaw in his hometown.

Lala (the pimp who was killed by Tobias Whale) is back from the dead and seeing visions of Lawanda (the young mother who wanted to free her daughter from Lala’s grasp).  Now, given that the tattoo of Lawanda does seem to be an actual manifestation, it could well be that Lawanda may be more than a simple manifestation of Lala’s mind.

As for the ASA, well it seems some 30 years ago they sought to create a vaccine that would calm the black populace of Freeland (thems being turbulent times), but instead the vaccine triggered (or produced) the Metahuman Gene in people, providing yet another origin for super-powered individuals in the DCEU.  This drug would then be developed to become “Greenlight.”  

And yes, both Gambi and Lady Eve had worked for the ASA, with Lady Eve apparently still being in their employ.  Gambi was the conscientious objector to the ASA experiments, and it was he who leaked the information to Grandpa [Alvin] Pierce which led to him being murdered by Tobias, at the behest of the ASA.  Naturally, this revelation does not sit well with Jefferson/Black Lightning.

Of course, the ASA is still continuing their experiments on Freeland, and continue to cover up their activities, even as they seek to have Black Lightning neutralized once and for all.

Given the activity around the shallow graves, I cannot help but imagine that the ASA and Tobias Whale are going to come into conflict, especially in light of Tobias realization that you cannot make money from dead people.

All in all, this series continues to impress.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 March 2018 - 10:22 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#46 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:04 AM

View PostG-man, on 14 March 2018 - 09:02 AM, said:

As for the ASA, well it seems some 30 years ago they sought to create a vaccine that would calm the black populace of Freeland (thems being turbulent times), but instead the vaccine triggered (or produced) the Metahuman Gene in people, providing yet another origin for super-powered individuals in the DCEU.

Huh? The term "DCEU" (DC Extended Universe) applies specifically to the continuity of the current movie series that began with Man of Steel. Black Lightning is not meant to be set in that version of DC continuity. It's probably in its own universe, although some fans (myself included) are hoping it will turn out to be on Earth-38, the universe where Supergirl occurs. Nothing so far has conclusively ruled that out, and Supergirl has been name-dropped twice so far in BL (once by Grace Choi when proposing cosplay possibilities for Anissa, once when the guy who helped Anissa pick her proto-Thunder costume said she'd be the fiercest Supergirl around). Although the fact that the ASA has been experimenting on metahumans for 30 years probably rules out an Earth-1 setting, since metas were largely unknown there until the STAR Labs accelerator explosion in Central City (although there were superheroes on Earth-1 in the '40s, namely the Justice Society).

And yes, both Gimby and Lady Eve had worked for the ASA

Gambi. His name (well, alias) is Peter Gambi.

https://vignette.wik...=20180117065214
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#47 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:21 AM

^^^ Really?  I thought I heard it also applied to the TV Shows.

And Gambi ... yeah, I'll fix that.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#48 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 14 March 2018 - 10:50 AM

View PostG-man, on 14 March 2018 - 10:21 AM, said:

^^^ Really?  I thought I heard it also applied to the TV Shows.

Maybe some people online have applied it that way, but that's not an official usage. Indeed, I think "DC Extended Universe" was originally a critic's coinage that caught on, rather than an official title.

Anyway, unlike Marvel, the various DC-based movies and shows don't share a single universe. The Arrowverse shows share a continuity (a huge and ever-growing one), but other DC live-action TV shows like Gotham, Lucifer, the short-lived Powerless sitcom, and TNT's upcoming Titans are in their own self-contained continuities. Black Lightning seems to be a standalone for now, but there's a lot of speculation that it could be in the Arrowverse. And Syfy's upcoming Krypton is developed by Man of Steel's David Goyer and appears to have a lot in common with MoS's version of Krypton, but it's unclear whether it's in the DCEU or some independent but similar continuity. The latter seems more likely, though, since that gives the show more freedom to develop its own story arcs and continuity.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#49 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 12:27 PM

Bumping for Episode 9: The book of little black lies

In the aftermath of the latest killing, Black Lightning works to clear his name while also hunting down the person responsible for his father's death, and anyone else involved. Tensions remain high between Black Lightning and Gambi.

So, remember to tune in to the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#50 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

Hmmmmm ...

All is quiet on the Tobias Whale and Lala fronts, as Black Lightning focuses on Greenlight, as well as Jennifer's freaking out that not only does she have powers, but her dad IS Black Lightning.

Gambi is still trying to redeem himself, and is aiding the Pierce family as much as he can.  Again, it is nice to see the characters owning their mistakes, as well as recognizing that they're as guilty of the same sin as the person they are upset with.  

Also, Henderson is finally waking up to the fact that he is working in a (let's be polite) compromised department, and that if he is sincere about seeing justice served, he cannot blindly follow procedures, especially when getting tips from Black Lightning.

Although, I have a feeling that I missed something ... did this occur over the weekend?  Otherwise, how is it that we find the entire Pierce family at home doing their crusading and family drama thing, when 3/4 of them have day jobs, and half still have school?

Still, this show continues to be the best in the DCBU (Berlanti-verse? I'd sooner not call it the Arrowverse), let's hope it can continue to remain such.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 21 March 2018 - 09:49 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#51 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:01 AM

View PostG-man, on 21 March 2018 - 09:47 AM, said:

Still, this show continues to be the best in the DCBU (Berlanti-verse? I'd sooner not call it the Arrowverse)

Well, at this point we don't even know if BL is in the Arrowverse (which is pretty much the official name for it, like it or not). If anything, this episode made it unlikely that the show is set on either Earth-1 or Earth-38; it's on a world where Obama was at least nominated for president twice (hard to reconcile with Marsdin's presidency on Supergirl's Earth and the nameless president who was killed by the Dominators on Earth-1), and where both Vixen and Supergirl apparently exist as real heroes. I expect it will eventually cross over with the other shows and be established as a new parallel Earth in the Arrowverse's multiverse, but at this point, that hasn't been established and the show stands alone.

Facebook Author Page

#52 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 27 March 2018 - 02:14 PM

Bumping for Black Lightning – episode 10 – Sins of the Father: The Book of Redemption

Black Lightning attempts to rescue several long-missing children reveal a secret he did not anticipate, and its resulting connections. Gambi struggles to stay strong while in a compromising position. Jefferson begins to view things differently.

And the sneak peek:

Remember to tune in to the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central, to see what happens next.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#53 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 28 March 2018 - 04:11 PM

It was nice to see that my suspicion of the Vice-Principal was justified, I just didn't know why.  Whereas this revelation does cast her previous actions -- undermining Pierce's authority to act -- in a different light, removing all [my] doubts.

She claimed that she was "protecting" him from the school board, when she was endeavoring to leave students who manifested powers exposed to kidnapping by having them automatically expelled for drug possession.  Now, she might genuinely like, and is attracted, to Jefferson, but her connections to the ASA has her diametrically opposed to his goals for the kids.

Plus, it was nice to see that the writers remembered that Jefferson Pierce has a day job, and showed him attending to it.  For the past couple of episodes it seemed like he was wholly focused on his crusade that I was wondering just when it was occurring that he'd have the time, without needing to explain himself for his absence.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 28 March 2018 - 04:14 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#54 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:24 PM

Bumping for episode 11 - Black Jesus:  The Book of Crucifixion.

As suspicion grows that Jefferson Pierce is Black Lightning, the ASA arranges to have him arrested.  Lynn seeks help from Detective Henderson.  Meanwhile, as Jefferson is in custody, Gambi and Anissa work together to show Black Lightning is still running around the streets of Freeland.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=kZQw9Or7hNo

So, remember to tune into the CW tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central to see what happens.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#55 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 04 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

Good to see Henderson beginning to clean up the precinct/police.  I’m thinking that knowing at least which of the cops were crooked, made it easier to dig up the dirt on them, especially in the face of an expedited transfer order from the NSA.

But really, the ASA is showing its utter disregard for Freeland and those stuck in there with their high handed actions.  OTOH, Black Lightning blowing up their Anti-Black Lightning arsenal probably provoked them.  

At least Gambi, and Jefferson, were the voices of reason here, pointing out that sometimes finesse, and simply keeping one’s head down is the more effective strategy.  

And that was certainly one way to have someone be in two places at once.  Watching that scene, I first thought Gambi was back at base, but when it became obvious he’s in the van (in the back), I began to wonder, “is that a self-driving van?”  Heh.  The final scene confirmed it ….

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 06 April 2018 - 08:53 AM.

-- Doc Savage

#56 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 12:54 PM

Bumping for episode 12 – The Resurrection and the Light:  The Book of Pain

Tobias returns to Freeland. He is tasked to capture—not kill—Black Lightning with the help of an unexpected source. After a battle of epic proportions, Anissa and Jennifer provide surprising aid.

and the Sneak Peek:

So remember to tune in to the CW, tonight, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man  Himself
-- Doc Savage

#57 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 09:25 AM

Well, that was certainly something.

We finally find out what happened with Tobias Whale, what he had been doing, and the fact that he was maneuvering himself to sit at the table with the ASA.  That Tobias was responsible for bringing back Lala, while inserting some mental conditioning to control him (and Lala doesn’t like it, not one bit), was certainly a surprise to me.

We also find out that the ASA’s experiments have largely been unsuccessful, with only Black Lightning proving the sole success.  That his kids also developed abilities would certainly be of interest to them, should they discover that particular bit of information.  So, yeah, Gambi is definitely correct in warning them to keep their heads down.

Matters come to a head at the High School with the confrontation between Team While and Team Lightning.  Thunder encounters Gun-Bunny who managed to eventually connect Thunder’s breathing with her abilities, and thus faced an unexpected challenge before having to rush off to help her father.  You know, it’s nice to see hench-persons who are actually observant and intelligent.

Meanwhile on the home front, things continue to be rocky given people’s feelings towards super powers (curse? Or blessing?), and while the father is forthcoming with Jennifer regarding Khalil, there are somethings that a person must discover (confirm) for themselves before they can believe it.

All in all, this made for a nice build up to the season finale – even as I still cannot anticipate just what developments might come.

I’m hoping I’m not alone in following this series as it definitely is worth following.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#58 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,921 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 10:02 AM

View PostG-man, on 12 April 2018 - 09:25 AM, said:

That Tobias was responsible for bringing back Lala, while inserting some mental conditioning to control him (and Lala doesn’t like it, not one bit), was certainly a surprise to me.

Since Tobias was the one we saw apparently killing Lala in the first place, that suggests that what we saw wasn't what we thought. Maybe he didn't actually kill Lala at all, just strangled him unconscious. And maybe all of Lala's "I see dead people who turn into smoke and brand themselves on my body" schtick is some kind of hallucinatory reaction to whatever brainwashing/drugs/experiments Tobias subjected him to.

We also find out that the ASA’s experiments have largely been unsuccessful, with only Black Lightning proving the sole success.  That his kids also developed abilities would certainly be of interest to them, should they discover that particular bit of information.  So, yeah, Gambi is definitely correct in warning them to keep their heads down.

It would be surprising if Jefferson were the only survivor of their superpower experiments, because that would be a natural way to bring more metahumans into the show's world. Certainly, we have to hope that the Green Light-created metas have a better survival rate than the original batch from 30 years ago, since one of them is that kid whose friend put up the posters, and it'd be nasty if she ended up dying. (Some online commentators are already speculating that one of those Green Light kids might be a certain Virgil Hawkins.)

Thunder encounters Gun-Bunny

She's called Syonide (played by Charlbi Dean).

Facebook Author Page

#59 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 07:25 AM

Bumping for episode 13 – Shadow of Death:  The Book of War

The Season 1 finale: The aftermath of the showdown with Black Lightning leaves everyone reeling. Meanwhile, Tobias gathers his forces.

and the Sneak Peek:

So, remember to tune in to the CW tonight at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central to see how everything turns out.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#60 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,626 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 08:55 AM

Now THAT is the way to conclude the season.

All elements come to a head, we get flashbacks detailing the backstory of Black Lightning, and the good guys secure a win over one set of bad guys … though what this means for that Vice Principal is anyone’s guess.

While Tobias Whale and his crew still are out there, the Police are in the process of being redeemed, and the outlook for the community is hopeful.  What’s more the Pierce family is now on the same page regarding powers, and where they stand in the community regarding battling crime and injustice.

What a great season.

Had this been the only season, I would be satisfied.  That it’s been renewed, I am hoping that the subsequent seasons can meet the standards set by the first.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 18 April 2018 - 08:57 AM.

-- Doc Savage

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Black Lightning, DCEU, CW TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users