Supergirl: Fort Rozz

Supergirl DC CW

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,367 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 06:50 PM

I enjoyed the episode but it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.

First off, the premise that the radiation from that blue sun only killed men was so ridiculous. I get that they needed a reason Supergirl would take Livewire and Psi with her and not J'onn, Mon-El, or Brainiac but that was just so random.

Also, doesn't that mean Supergirl is at least partially responsible for all the deaths of the men on the ship? She did launch it into space and apparently never gave it another thought. Even without the men dying, that's a ship filled with prisoners who many be running out of supplies.

Also, why didn't Supergirl take any of the DEO weapons with her? She was literally helpless. Take a stun gun or something. Also, why not take a solar bomb so she could have powers for at least a minute or so?

I did like the return of Livewire and Psi. What I like about Supergirl (and the entire Super-family) is that they're not just about putting bad guys away. They're all about redemption. Here we see that Supergirl has managed to turn one of her baddies into someone willing to die for Supergirl. Psi also seemed to somewhat redeem herself at the end. It's nice to see a superhero do something positive like that instead of just killing all the bad guys or locking them away and forgetting about them.

I do hope Livewire isn't really dead. She's too good of a character to get rid of.

They have already introduced another Worldkiller. That was quick. I thought they would drag that plot out a little more.

Samantha is acknowledging that she is missing chunks of time where she can't recall what she did. I was curious when they would show her activities as Reign affecting her life.

Alex as babysitter was a lot of fun. It proves that she can be a good mother. I loved how she went to the cyberbully's house and put the fear of the FBI into her. I lol'd a lot. The text from Maggie was heartbreaking, though.

Reign isn't affected by kryptonite to the same extent as Supergirl and now we learn that her powers come from something other than a yellow sun.

She was at least affected by Psi's mental attack. It tapped into the Samantha side of Reign and caused her to flee.

That's the Brainiac 5 I know and love from the comics. His sarcastic, superior remarks about the technology he had to work with at the DEO were funny. I did love that Winn showed him up at the end. That's my favorite tech nerd at work.

Kara and Mon-El were able to have a nice conversation. It does seem like maybe these two will work their way back to being friends.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:24 PM

I absolutely LOVED the interaction between Brainiac 5 and Winn. Priceless.

Good point about not bringing any DEO weapons, I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering about that. I didn't make the connection of Supergirl being responsible for the deaths of the men, since she launched Ft. Rozz into space. Good point there.

It was nice seeing Ursa back in a Superman/Supergirl universe again, even if it was as a different character.

What is really irking the hell out of me with this show is the lack of real time physics. Samantha, and Kara and her team, were only gone for one day? Seriously? When they had to travel to another Galaxy? Unless they are saying the Blue Star and Ft. Rozz happen to be orbiting Earth? I am glad that they are FINALLY acknowledging others knowing about Samantha's absences, and that she is also acknowledging those absences.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostLord of the Sword, on 24 January 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

What is really irking the hell out of me with this show is the lack of real time physics. Samantha, and Kara and her team, were only gone for one day? Seriously? When they had to travel to another Galaxy? Unless they are saying the Blue Star and Ft. Rozz happen to be orbiting Earth?

I am guessing you mean another Solar System, not Galaxy?  And "Blue Star orbiting Earth" makes even less sense than anything on the show?

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 24 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 23 January 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

First off, the premise that the radiation from that blue sun only killed men was so ridiculous. I get that they needed a reason Supergirl would take Livewire and Psi with her and not J'onn, Mon-El, or Brainiac but that was just so random.

I could live with that part, within the context of this generally fanciful show, but how did Ft. Rozz get to another star system in just a year and a half if it was just drifting through space? It should still be in an elliptical orbit around Sol, because Supergirl didn't accelerate it that hard.

I was thinking before the episode that maybe the reason for the all-female mission was that the priestess they were going to see would only deal with women. Alura's hologram did say that the society behind the old Kryptonian religion was matriarchal.

But my question is, if Supergirl needed superpowered women to go with her, what about Winn's alien girlfriend, or M'gann? Failing that, she could've used her little extrapolator gizmo to pop over to Earth-1 and recruit Hawkgirl or Vixen. Or Jesse Quick or Gypsy from elsewhere in the multiverse.

Also, doesn't that mean Supergirl is at least partially responsible for all the deaths of the men on the ship? She did launch it into space and apparently never gave it another thought. Even without the men dying, that's a ship filled with prisoners who many be running out of supplies.

The intent in the season finale was that the soldiers who returned to Ft. Rozz went into cryogenic stasis. One presumes something changed along the way. But yes, the question of Supergirl's responsibility did occur to me.

Samantha is acknowledging that she is missing chunks of time where she can't recall what she did. I was curious when they would show her activities as Reign affecting her life.

Yeah -- I'd sort of been assuming that she was Reign all the time but was just acting normal for appearances. I didn't realize she was actually going Jekyll-and-Hyde.
(Or Caitlin-and-Killer Frost.)

Edited by Christopher, 24 January 2018 - 06:56 PM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:28 AM

From the snippets I’ve seen of Fort Rozz, I’m seeing a lot of “the death of Livewire” in the title, but from what I saw in the footage, there was a flare out and Livewire goes unconscious.  Which has me wondering:  Did they actually come out and proclaim Livewire dead, or was it left for the audience to reach that conclusion based on how it was staged?

I admit, I like this rendition of Livewire, and I like the idea of Livewire becoming a “frenemy” of Supergirl’s.  So it would be a shame if they chose to write her out of the series this way, versus putting her in that 30th Century healing vat to recover for future appearances.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 10:31 AM

^Leslie got a pretty unambiguous death/farewell scene, yes.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#7 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:06 AM

:( :down: :crybaby:

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 25 January 2018 - 11:07 AM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 11:36 AM

Hey, it's comics (or the equivalent). They can always resurrect her.

Facebook Author Page

#9 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 12:25 PM

For that matter, Livewire can convert her body to energy. I'd be surprised if bodily trauma could kill her.
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#10 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

View PostCybersnark, on 25 January 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

For that matter, Livewire can convert her body to energy. I'd be surprised if bodily trauma could kill her.

It's a pretty standard comic-book/sci-fi trope that shapeshifters or characters who can turn their bodies to energy/water/whatever are nonetheless able to be wounded or killed in a normal manner when they're in human form. Think of how Mystique in  the first two X-Men movies was stabbed by Wolverine and still had the wounds/scars no matter what form she shifted into. I remember getting into a huge online debate a couple of years ago about some show -- maybe Heroes Reborn? -- with a shapeshifter who could turn into mist but was shot and killed while in his human form. I felt that was absurd, because if he had enough control of his molecules to turn into mist and back, it should be child's play to reconstitute a bullet-damaged body part or two. For some reason, a couple of other people fiercely rejected that logic for reasons I could never understand.

For that matter, Supergirl has used this trope before. In the penultimate episode of season 1, J'onn was stabbed by Indigo and almost bled to death. I always wondered why he couldn't just shapeshift the wound back into intact tissues, at least for as long as he concentrated on it.

Edited by Christopher, 25 January 2018 - 01:37 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#11 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 24 January 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

And "Blue Star orbiting Earth" makes even less sense than anything on the show?

SFG

very good point. LOL.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:37 PM

Plus, just how hard did the Legion cruiser crash into Fort Rozz that it was shifted .003 au (where 1 au = the distance of the Earth to the sun or approx. 8 light minutes), effectively pushing Fort Rozz farther in that instant of contact to a distance roughly twice the distance from Earth to the Moon?  

I just wish they had instead claimed that Fort Rozz’s trajectory was going to plunge it into the Blue Star, thus they preserve that peril and the time limit without claiming that it was the Legion Cruiser’s docking that caused the problem.  Yeah, yeah, it’s still mighty hokey that Supergirl could through Fort Rozz that far through interstellar space, but it’s one less improbability that they’d have introduced into the story.

Yeah, I get this is a comic book property, but I wish they wouldn't use that as an excuse for bad writing.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 29 January 2018 - 01:51 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#13 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 01:41 PM

Oh, another question that occurred to me was:  If Fort Rozz had been on Earth for 20+ years, why were there still prisoners on board?

I thought all the inmates had escaped leaving Fort Rozz abandoned so that the Kryptonians could use it as their HQ as they sought to save the Earth from Humanity's depredations.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 29 January 2018 - 01:52 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#14 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 02:47 PM

View PostG-man, on 29 January 2018 - 01:41 PM, said:

Oh, another question that occurred to me was:  If Fort Rozz had been on Earth for 20+ years, why were there still prisoners on board?

I thought all the inmates had escaped leaving Fort Rozz abandoned so that the Kryptonians could use it as their HQ as they sought to save the Earth from Humanity's depredations.

Non's Kryptonian soldiers from season 1 returned to Fort Rozz at the climax of the season. Their plan was to kill everyone on Earth, then use Rozz to leave the planet and go elsewhere. We know Non's army had some non-Kryptonian inmates in it, including Indigo and the Hellgrammite from episode 2, and presumably there were others as well.

Facebook Author Page

#15 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,618 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 04:02 PM

Were they put into stasis, or something?  I recall wondering why no one was coming out to aid Non and Indigo.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 29 January 2018 - 04:02 PM.

-- Doc Savage

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,914 posts

Posted 29 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

View PostG-man, on 29 January 2018 - 04:02 PM, said:

Were they put into stasis, or something?  I recall wondering why no one was coming out to aid Non and Indigo.

Yes, they were, in the first-season finale, at least. I presume the intent of the writers at the time was that Supergirl could fling them out into space to drift for centuries without killing anyone by doing so, because they were in stasis and wouldn't starve to death. Obviously that plan changed, in more ways than one.

I think that when the team found the male alien corpse, they said something about how he must've escaped from stasis. Although it may just have been that he'd escaped from his cell. I'd have to double-check.

EDIT: Okay, they said nothing in this episode about stasis -- just that the power had failed so the cells opened. And the cells just looked like cages, not cryopods. So the continuity doesn't quite line up.

Edited by Christopher, 29 January 2018 - 07:32 PM.

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users