• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,393 posts

Posted 30 January 2018 - 08:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MEN - A meta who can shrink anything he touches battles Team Flash. Cisco (Carlos Valdes) and Ralph (guest star Hartley Sawyer) get caught in his crossfire and are shrunk to miniature versions of themselves. Cecile (guest star Danielle Nicolet) realizes her pregnancy has caused her to have temporary powers and discovers she can hear other people's thoughts, which unnerves Joe (Jesse L. Martin). Meanwhile, Barry (Grant Gustin) meets someone with a mysterious connection to Henry Allen.

Read more: Listings - FLASH, THE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz55iq1zgxb

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

How does that prison guard think he can get away with this? I missed last weeks episode so I don't know if Barry has gotten calls/visits from people other than Joe…. But it would seem stupid for a prison guard, even a corrupt one, to offer a prisoner up to sell to this women (who I recognize but can't name), without doing a bit of research and thinking is it worth pissing off the prisoner's 1) adoptive dad who is a police detective 2) quasi-step-mom who is a lawyer 3) wife who is a journalist. And that should be obvious just from Barry's file, so this is without knowing anything about the rest of Team Flash, which the guard should be figuring there probably is one, unless he thinks he is just another Speedster (which goes against the lines spoken).

Does this prison guard really think he can get away with this? The best come-back that I can think of that he can try to give Joe/Iris/Cecille is that, without indicating he knows Barry is the Flash, that maybe he escaped jail - possibly with the help of his cell-neighbour who escaped the night before - and decided to leave them behind, without telling them, to start a new life. They might believe the prison guard believes that, so may not scrutinize him too much to start with, but to believe that themselves?

I assume this is part of the Villain's plan. And the prison guard reporting Barry as missing/escaped will make Barry look bad to other people who believe the prison guard, so clearing his name could be that much harder.

Edited by sierraleone, 31 January 2018 - 07:22 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:33 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 31 January 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

How does that prison guard think he can get away with this? I missed last weeks episode so I don't know if Barry has gotten calls/visits from people other than Joe…. But it would seem stupid for a prison guard, even a corrupt one, to offer a prisoner up to sell to this women (who I recognize but can't name), without doing a bit of research and thinking is it worth pissing off the prisoner's 1) adoptive dad who is a police detective 2) quasi-step-mom who is a lawyer 3) wife who is a journalist. And that should be obvious just from Barry's file, so this is without knowing anything about the rest of Team Flash, which the guard should be figuring there probably is one, unless he thinks he is just another Speedster (which goes against the lines spoken).

Guard?? Are you talking about Warden Wolfe, the guy who runs the whole prison? Guards wear uniforms, not suits.

And the woman Wolfe was selling Barry to (and implicitly the other meta prisoners he's been collecting since early in the season) is Amunet Black (Katee Sackhoff).
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

View PostChristopher, on 31 January 2018 - 07:33 PM, said:

View Postsierraleone, on 31 January 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

Guard?? Are you talking about Warden Wolfe, the guy who runs the whole prison? Guards wear uniforms, not suits.

And the woman Wolfe was selling Barry to (and implicitly the other meta prisoners he's been collecting since early in the season) is Amunet Black (Katee Sackhoff).

Not sure who else I could be talking about, consider the episode this thread is about, and the post I made :)

Obviously I wasn't paying much attention to his character at first. And I did miss last weeks episode. (He showed up at the end of the episode before that, I think when Barry was being introduced to his cell). Though I thought he was above the level of a regular guard (like a supervisor), not necessarily the guy who ran the whole prison. Don't know the title for that position. Heck, I don't even think they are called guards in many jurisdictions now, in some jurisdictions prison guards are now called corrections/correctional officers.

How often do Wardens, who supervise Corrections Supervisors, who supervise Corrections Officer, actually interact in person with prisoners? I mean, I can count on my hands the number of times I've interacted with my manager, and I doubt my manager has been in contact with any clients of mine or any of my co-workers :D

- Masha Gessen

#5 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 08:17 PM

Cecille's little pregnancy-induced meta-ish telepathy, and attendant story-line, was cute. But is everyone sure it will go away like gestational diabetes? ;) Sometimes gestationally-induced diabetes does not go away :D They said that the kid wasn't a meta, but I didn't catch whether they said Cecille was…. So was she made, like, sort of dormant meta-genes? If that is the case, then they shouldn't necessarily need a huge event for new metas to be created, they just need the right nudge or push environmentally, and it could be on an individual basis (like pregnancy) that could switch the dormant genes in dormant metas and make them active metas.

And back to Iris's journalism career…. Have we seen *any* evidence of that this season? Or is she full-time team Flash? I mean, I could sort of see it in the beginning, she has lots of her plate. And even when he came back, there was a lot of processing, and they were getting married. And even after, dealing with his trial. And now, trying to prove his innocence and processing him being in jail…. OK, I take that back. Maybe she has taken an extended leave of absence. But I really hope they show her getting back on her feet, professionally. Not that I am saying that being on Team Flash isn't work, I would just like her to have a life outside of Team Flash. I wonder if that is why her name disappeared from that future article… Maybe she never goes back to journalism.

Regarding the shrinking thing, and how they had less space between atoms… So technically they are more dense, right?

It may be wonder when Ralph went to the washroom…. Did his pee expand on leaving his body? :D The average trip to the washroom is, what, a cup or two of pee? So he could possible drown if he pee while in a bowl or such? *laughs* Or, upon leaving the body, do these molecules somehow stick close to the other pee molecules, and there is some super dense concentration of some maybe 1 ml of pee somewhere? Yes, I am over-analyzing ;) And with this pee-trip happening after they were starting to break down, but before they were embiggened and fixed…. What happened to Ralph's pee, haven't not been hit with the meta's power? Caitlin did say that they'd go "nuclear" if they didn't get fixed… Was just that an exaggeration, or was their an explosion wherever Ralph's pee was located around the time of that fight? :D

Edited by sierraleone, 31 January 2018 - 09:07 PM.

- Masha Gessen

#6 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,924 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

View Postsierraleone, on 31 January 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

How often do Wardens, who supervise Corrections Supervisors, who supervise Corrections Officer, actually interact in person with prisoners? I mean, I can count on my hands the number of times I've interacted with my manager, and I doubt my manager has been in contact with any clients of mine or any of my co-workers :D

How often do police commissioners personally investigate crimes? Fiction follows different rules from reality. Warden Wolfe is a recurring antagonist this season, so he has to interact with the main characters.

View Postsierraleone, on 31 January 2018 - 08:17 PM, said:

They said that the kid wasn't a meta, but I didn't catch whether they said Cecille was…. So was she made, like, sort of dormant meta-genes? If that is the case, then they shouldn't necessarily need a huge event for new metas to be created, they just need the right nudge or push environmentally, and it could be on an individual basis (like pregnancy) that could switch the dormant genes in dormant metas and make them active metas.

The assumption this season seems to be that anyone hit by dark matter can become a metahuman -- after all, everyone on the bus is presumed to have done so. I don't recall if they said anything in the past about them needing to have a metagene first, although if not, it's hard to explain why the first accelerator explosion was selective in whom it empowered.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#7 Lord of the Sword

Lord of the Sword
  • Islander
  • 15,681 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:46 PM

I don't know HOW the warden is planning on covering his tracks, regarding Barry. He has to know Joe isn't going to just let it go. What really boggled my mind, however, was the way he drugged Barry. Barry's increased metabolism would've burned through a normal sedative drugging. And if he increased the dose, I'm fairly certain that Barry should've tasted the difference. I also find it weird that criminals are using the pudding to drug inmates. Last time it was the Tricksters mother, now the warden himself.

Also more alarming is how Team Flash is going to handle the warden knowing Barry is the Flash? Wonder if they are going to have Cecil Jedi Mind wipe the warden by the end of the season?

Cecil busting the therapist was hilarious! As was her reaction upon reading everyone else's mind.

I absolutely cracked up with Caitlin stepping on Ralph: "Hey, I'm a gum shoe, not gum on a shoe." LOL.

Cisco's face when Harry threatened to backhand him. LOL. too funny. I liked getting more of a glimpse into Harry's thinking. It's clear he's blaming himself for not being smarter than the Thinker, and that he isn't smarter is pissing him off.

A side not, completely off topic: I've decided to still stick around the board, and to just post in Reviews. Sorry for bringing problems from one forum to another, in the Supernatural thread. Thank you to those that sent me PM's, urging me to stay and just post in reviews.
"Sometimes you get the point of the sword, sometimes the edge, sometimes the flat of the blade (even if you're the Lord of the Sword) and sometimes you're the guy wielding it. But any day without the Sword or its Lord is one that could've been better  " ~Orpheus.

The Left is inclusive, and tolerant, unless you happen to think and believe different than they do~ Lord of the Sword

Looks like the Liberal Elite of Exisle have finally managed to silence the last remaining Conservative voice on the board.

“The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it’s natural manure.” ~Thomas Jefferson

#8 sierraleone

sierraleone

• Islander
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:17 AM

I wonder if Devoe had foreseen Cecille's pregnancy-induced telepathy, or whether that will help take him down…. I could see them using her ability. It can also really help her at work too, whether other lawyers, judges, witness, juries… I wouldn't say that that is ethical, but she doesn't quite no how to control it yet.

Edited by sierraleone, 01 February 2018 - 07:22 AM.

- Masha Gessen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Flash, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users