Agents of SHIELD Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Marvel TV

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 08:27 AM

S.H.I.E.L.D. has one final chance to return to home, but their actions may have deadly consequences.

And the sneak peek:

As things reach a climax in the future, our gang prepare to go back to the past to change the future.

Will Daisy end up joining them?

Can Flint and Tess manage to overthrow the Kree once and for all?

And what will happen to Mack and Yoyo in the face of Kasius’ rage?

For answers to these questions and more, remember to tune into ABC tomorrow (Feb 2), True Believers, at 9pm Eastern/8pm Central to find out?

Excelsior!!!

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

[Title edited to include episode # and name. Hope you don't mind. - Orph]

Edited by Orpheus, 01 February 2018 - 01:16 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:04 PM

Oh, yeah.

I caught wind of a rumor that this is the last episode before the February Hiatus, with the next episode due to air in March.

Has anyone else heard anything?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 02:06 PM

Yes.  Also, the 12th episode this season is the 100th.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:20 PM

Yeah, they decided to have a hiatus after all because of some event that they don't want to go up against. I forget what it is. The Olympics or the Oscars or the Oddfellows Telethon or something.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 4,041 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:55 PM

Probably the Olympics.

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:05 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 01 February 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Yeah, they decided to have a hiatus after all because of some event that they don't want to go up against. I forget what it is. The Olympics or the Oscars or the Oddfellows Telethon or something.

LOL, yeah.  I think a lot of things are going on break in Feb.  ;)

I know that Once Upon a Time returns on March 2nd, so SHIELD probably comes back around the same time.  :)

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 01 February 2018 - 07:06 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 06:17 PM

I think you're right, because tonight is the 98th episode and the 100th airs on March 9th.

View PostFarscapeOne, on 01 February 2018 - 06:55 PM, said:

Probably the Olympics.  
You mean I was right?  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 07:16 AM

Yeah, according to the promo, Agents of SHIELD's next episode is slated for March 2nd.  So we've got a three week hiatus this season.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 05:46 PM

Bleah to hiatuses. Hiati.  Whatever.

Well, kudos to the grape-like guy who guessed that Future Resurrected YoYo would be Little Boy Blue's seer-- but sheesh, that was grim.  And Mack seeing her murdered was grimmer.  Unfortunately, she suffered from Seer Syndrome for no apparent reason-- she could not possibly have been much more vague.

And our Kree despot really went off the rails with the death of his bodyguard. I feel sorry for the actress who had to play a dead body throughout this episode, especially after her anticlimactic death last one. But it certainly did cement the idea that whatever strange relationship they had was mutual. And, in a strange symmetry, his death was just as anticlimactic, as he was reduced to a frenzied killing machine and dispatched by Mack, rather than in a more fitting manner by the people he enslaved and abused-- or by Gemma, at least, as their surrogate.

Other aspects of the story were somewhat more satisfying, especially the Fuzzy Mercenary's irritated heroism and the Bald Alien's dispassionate self sacrifice. However, if the SHIELD agents succeed in the past in preventing Crescent Earth, the alien's death will never be, and Fuzzy will never be born (leaving the possibility of him being a descendant of Fitz and Simmons an undropped shoe). Similarly, the tag with Pebbles and the Zombie Girl heading off to rebuild and repopulate the world seemed odd, as a successful outcome will make that unnecessary and void their existence.   It would have been more interesting, from both a storytelling and metaphysical standpoint, if some of these characters had been brought back to the past.

All in all, as enjoyable as this arc has been, it doesn't seem to have been very well thought through.

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:37 PM

I confess, I was genuinely touched by Kasius’ reaction to Sinara’s demise.  At the very least she was his trusted comrade at arms, if not True Love, without whom life held no meaning.

Now, the take down of the Kree on the Lighthouse, yeah, kinda saw that coming given the set up, and this has always been the problem with repressive regimes, the oppressed invariably outnumber those in power, and once they have had enough, time will run out for the oppressors.

That Coulson would force Daisy to go back with him, thus guaranteeing the Time Loop, that was unexpected, even if pre-ordained.  Admittedly, I don’t think Daisy has quite gotten her mind wrapped around the notion that once something is witnessed, it occurs, albeit interpretations of what was witnessed will vary.

So, our gang are [probably] reunited back in the past, where they must deal with being hunted by everybody, even as they seek to prevent the future from happening … which is a good thing?  Maybe?  This will possibly set up that Future-Past as an alternative time-line while they proceed on through the current MCU prime time-line.  Pity they won’t encounter any of those who had helped them in the future, aside from Enoch and Robin.  Still, I’m interested in where the show will take us next.

Will the return of Bobbi and Hunter be in the cards?

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:06 PM

View PostG-man, on 06 February 2018 - 01:37 PM, said:

I confess, I was genuinely touched by Kasius’ reaction to Sinara’s demise.  At the very least she was his trusted comrade at arms, if not True Love, without whom life held no meaning.  
It actually was pretty touching, especially when he was so insistent on the doctor saving her.

Will the return of Bobbi and Hunter be in the cards?  
That would be nice.  It would make sense for Hunter to be there when they return, since he sent Fitz off on his journey-- it would be kind of funny if they appeared in front of him just as he was walking away after the launch. Bobbi is less likely, since she was probably busy with Orville when they were filming.

#12 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,664 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 03:49 PM

^^^ Indeed.  And I thought it interesting that the Doctor mentioned that humans (even inhumans) were "simple" organisms who could be restored, whereas the Kree are a lot more complex (though they could be gunned down just as easily as people).  Maybe it has to do with the relative ages of the respective races, with the Kree being that much more ancient.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 33,064 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 04:18 PM

View PostG-man, on 08 February 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

^^^ Indeed.  And I thought it interesting that the Doctor mentioned that humans (even inhumans) were "simple" organisms who could be restored, whereas the Kree are a lot more complex (though they could be gunned down just as easily as people).  Maybe it has to do with the relative ages of the respective races, with the Kree being that much more ancient.

Or the doctor is making assumptions based on racism rather than science. Remember how 19th-century European scientists convinced themselves that white people had bigger brains than the other "races"? They were so deeply bigoted that they unconsciously skewed the data to confirm their prejudices, because when they got a result that showed brain sizes were equal, they couldn't accept that they'd done the tests right and altered their methods until they got the results they wanted. So given that the Kree make the same kind of assumptions about their racial superiority, it would be unwise to trust their scientific claims about racial differences to be accurate.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Patreon Page -- Featuring reviews and original fiction
Facebook Author Page

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 14,333 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:27 PM

View PostG-man, on 08 February 2018 - 03:49 PM, said:

Yeah, it would have to be something on the genetic level, since they are pretty much identical to Humans on the macroscopic level.  Perhaps they've artificially optimized their genes and chromosomes.

#15 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,822 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 04:47 AM

For reasons, I've explained too many times on this board, I'd argue that Christopher is right, and take it further: it's possible that barring some unknown quantum leap ascendance, the very notion of an "advanced" species may never be anything but racism. Actually, now that I think about it, the Kree doctor said "Terran biology is simple" (to him) not "primitive". Human revivification may not be unlike our own experiments on "simple" starfish, which can regenerate limbs, or much more "complex" giant tortoises/naked mole rats (which don't "senesce" or grow old): they have a potential that we may never have without making such changes as to essentially render us a different species -- but we never know what we'll find.

But what really interests me at this point is how Yoyo gets "stuck in the loop". Clearly, Our Yoyo must travel into the past to become Unarmed Yoyo in her own future, but the same chronological moment. It seems strongly suggested that she gets caught in the outskirts of the portal opening/explosion. I suspect she lost her arms trying to reach out to or cling to Mac -- but that doesn't mean that he's dead. They may simply have gone to different destinations. Yoyo speaks as if great time had passed since the explosion, but I think her appearance in the current loop was fairly recent. As I said last week, it makes no sense that Kasius had a seer all along. He have done so much differently! Yoyo says "this time" she withheld information. Kasius was clearly surprised by Mac's stratagem and Yoyo's presence. This suggests that loops differ enough that Yoyo may save herself -- and Mac.

And of course, the team's iterations through the loop must ultimately result in Kasius' father's invasion being thwarted, and the Earth surviving intact. I think it is HIGHLY likely that The Team triggered Earth's destruction as a last-ditch effort to thwart the invasion --maybe Quake really did do it!-- and have been unwittingly iterating solutions. I think Fitz, left on Earth, had a far greater role over the course of the many iterations than the (still significant) role we've seen this last loop

I hope (without great optimism) that they resolve this satisfactorily. I'm always pessimistic when it comes to time travel tales, but as others have noted, this tales seems to have been rushed into creation. The Marvel TV Universe completely confuses me. I try to take it as a self-contained entity, but too often one must know unexpected background from the Comic Book Universe -- and at other times, they completely ignore it: each person on our team has survived a fight with a Kree, whom I understood to be as physically powerful as a standard Asgardian, able to easily defeat Drax in hand-to-hand combat. I wouldn't take a swing at Drax! (Drax: I would never swing with Orpheus. I am too skilled and nimble. Orpheus would fall off the swing.)

#16 tennyson

tennyson
  • Islander
  • 6,173 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 07:06 PM

I don't have access to the show anymore but in the comics the Kree are pretty much blue or pink humans with higher technology. Ronan was an Accusser in comics, something like the Judges in Judge Dredd with power armor and his "universal weapon." While I have seen both Guardians of the Galaxy now the first one is a little hazzy but the comics Accuser at least could easily take on the MCU Drax but I can't remember MCU Ronan's armouring up sequence well enough to determine if he was wearing additional technology under his clothes or not. Basic Kree soldiers were only better than thier Earth counterparts due to thier body armor and energy weapons in the comics at least.
"Only an idiot would fight a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts."

— Londo, "Ceremonies of Light and Dark" Babylon-5

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Agents of SHIELD, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel TV

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users