Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Flood Basalts of the Pacific Northwest (and other local geology)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,737 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:33 PM

Let me give you some insight into how sad my life is.

Last weekend, around 11:30pm, my phone rang. It was a friend who wanted to know if I'd be interested in the Flood Basalt of the Pacific Northwest.

He'd slurred his words a bit, so I had to ask:

"Flood Basalt of the Pacific Northwest? You mean like the rock?"

"Yes."

"Isn't that around the Columbia River? In Washington state?"

"Yes. That's it."

"Well, yeah, I'm interested. But why would you ask?"

"I just saw a good lecture on them. You want me to send you the link?"

"Hell yeah. But still... why..."

"Look, it just seemed like something you'd be interested in, okay?"

And I was. The professor has a casual, folksy, but very engaging style -- enough that I've watched over half a dozen more of his lectures since. The first one made me wish I was in Washington or northern Oregon, so I could see the formations in person (I'm weird that way -- and most other ways as well). Each additional lecture just increased that yearning.

I know that there are similarly fascinating geological features near me that I could (and should) visit.  I've seen a few fascinating documentaries on the geology of New York City, which is a veritable geological zoo (and in most other ways as well), but not (yet) any on New England. When I find  them, I'll post them here.

How about the rest of you? I'm sure that you all live near some fascinating geology (The Earth's crust is like the Force: it has a dark side and a light side; it surrounds us all; and sometimes it hurls giant rocks clean into the sky.) Care to share them with us? Know any good lectures?

#2 D.Rabbit

D.Rabbit

Me and all my shadows.

• Islander
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 01:20 AM

Nothing as volatile and dramatic in my zone.
Biggest geological draw is Lynch Rock. The first out cropping of the Canadian Shield near Lakefield in south eastern Ontario.
Sorry no link to the exact spot, think I need to go visiting.

I only know about it because my old roommate owns the land. She mentioned that there are often expeditions of young geologist  trucking through her farm land to get to it.

The Canadian Shield is one of most stable formations on the planet. I was driving a young Ojibwa to his counseling lessons and the road to his home up there is...go slow. Those red quartz rocks are truly stable, no one wants to mess with them.

Perfect place to move all the nuclear power plants to, away from the fault lines on Lake Ontario.

When Trudeau awarded the cabinet seat of: Employment, workforce development and labor, to a geologist I got right excited thinking he might be able to make work moving the plants. Unfortunately Trudeau has shuffled the cabinet since then.  

Even though there is not much going on on the shield, I predict that it's going to be prime real estate if global warming does not start to back off.
I wonder how much of it will survive after Yellow Stone blows again?

7 verses I know you're there behind the veil.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users