Kim Possible Disney Channel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 10:54 PM

http://www.joblo.com...-on-the-way-153

Hoo-sha, and cue the sneaky thief theme music! The Disney Channel has announced that they're developing a live-action film version of their highly-adored cartoon series KIM POSSIBLE!

With the channel already searching far and wide for the perfect actors to represent Kim and her wacky friends on the live-action screen, the project will tell the tale of a seemingly typical high school girl who saves the world from ne'er do wells with the help of her sidekick Ron Stoppable, his oddly-adorable naked mole rat Rufus, and computer genius Wade.The highly-celebrated animated series that ran for a total of 87 episodes on the Disney Channel from June 7, 2002 - September 7, 2007.

Additionally, the Emmy-nominated series has already produced two animated Disney Channel movies, KIM POSSIBLE MOVIE: SO THE DRAMA and KIM POSSIBLE: A STITCH IN TIME. Christy Carlson-Romano voiced Kim in the series, while Will Friedle of BOY MEETS WORLD and BATMAN BEYOND fame lent his vocal stylings to the Ron Stoppable character.

Series creators Mark McCorkle and Robert Schooley will write the script along with Josh Cagan. Furthermore, McCorkle and Schooley will also executive produce with Zanne Devine. The movie is also set to be co-directed and co-produced by Adam B. Stein and Zach Lipovsky.

This news makes me really happy. I loved Kim Possible back in the day and seeing it return in any form brings a smile to my face. I won't lie; part of me would rather see a cartoon continuation of the series that could show the characters in college.

Still, this is great. My only reservations are that turning an action packed cartoon into a live action movie on a DCOM budget is going to be hard.

Oh, they have to use Drakken and Shego for the villains. The series had a lot of great villains but these two are the main ones.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,658 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 09:24 AM

I agree, it'd make more sense to bring it back in animation. I don't get why Disney is so obsessed with doing live-action remakes of all its classics. (Or "live-action" remakes, like The Jungle Book, which is one live-action kid surrounded by photorealistic computer animation, so it's really stretching the definition of the word to an absurd degree.) And finding actual teenage actors (or early-20s, but this is The Disney Channel, so actual teens would seem a better fit) who could capture the characters as well as Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle would be difficult.

On the other hand, I've seen such things kind of work before. I was a fairly regular viewer of The Fairly Oddparents for a while -- though the revival series hasn't held my interest -- and the couple of live-action TV movies they did weren't bad. The actors they cast worked pretty well, for the most part, and since it was from the same writers, the characterizations and style of humor were authentic. (Daran Norris actually reprised his animation role of Timmy Turner's father.)
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,472 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 11:15 AM

I just wish they'd release the last two seasons of the cartoon on DVD.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2018 - 06:16 PM

Ah, I loved Kim Possible-- but I'm not so excited for a live-action remake. Aside from not liking remakes and reboots in general-- I'm pretty sure this won't be in continuity with the show-- the problem is pretty much the same as it is with superhero movies and TV shows. The art is a large part of the appeal, and while the animation style of Kim Possible isn't exactly on a par with Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko, it's what defined the characters.  I'd much rather see them go with a Pixar-style movie that can capture the essence of the characters in 3D, kind of like how that Charlie Brown movie did.

And the name of that movie was actually A Sitch In Time-- based on Kim's catchphrase, "What's the sitch?"
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 10:09 PM

And finding actual teenage actors (or early-20s, but this is The Disney Channel, so actual teens would seem a better fit) who could capture the characters as well as Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle would be difficult.

That is one reason I'd prefer an animated movie just so we could get them back and voicing their characters again.

On the other hand, I've seen such things kind of work before. I was a fairly regular viewer of The Fairly Oddparents for a while -- though the revival series hasn't held my interest -- and the couple of live-action TV movies they did weren't bad. The actors they cast worked pretty well, for the most part, and since it was from the same writers, the characterizations and style of humor were authentic. (Daran Norris actually reprised his animation role of Timmy Turner's father.)

Those movies are part of the reason I think this could work. They proved you could take a fantastical cartoon show and translate it rather well into a live action movie. Also, the fact that the DCOM Wendy Wu: Homecoming Warrior was really good also gives me hope that they can pull off the action-oriented Kim Possible.

I just wish they'd release the last two seasons of the cartoon on DVD.

I'm right there with you. The Disney Channel is just bad about releasing shows on DVD. When they do it's random. They released the last season of Hannah Montana in its entirety but not the others. Lizzie McGuire had the first season released and then a few random DVDs collecting various episodes. JONAS had two DVDs released collecting about half the first season. When Disney owned Power Rangers they would release only the first half of each season on DVD. The exception was Overdrive, which was an anniversary season.

Edited by Virgil Vox, 14 February 2018 - 10:09 PM.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:34 PM

https://www.yahoo.co...-162722885.html

ET confirms that The Disney Channel's upcoming live-action movie, Kim Possible, will have How I Met Your Mother star Alyson Hannigan taking on the role of Dr. Ann Possible (aka Mom Possible), while The Big C star Connie Ray will play Kim Possible's grandmother, Nana Possible.

Also joining the cast are Todd Stashwick and Taylor Ortega, who will play fan-favorite villains Drakken and Shego. In addition, OMG!'s Ciara Wilson has been cast as new high school student Athena, and Make It Pop's Erika Tham will play Kim's childhood frenemy, Bonnie.

As was previously announced, Sadie Stanley will star as of Kim Possible while Sean Giambrone will play Ron Stoppable in the comedy-adventure.

The cast is filling up nicely. Sadie Stanley is a newcomer so I have no idea how she will do as Kim. I think Sean Giambrone will be a good Ron.

This is a fun video showing Christy Carlson Romano and Will Friedle auditioning for the live action movie. Definitely worth a watch.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,658 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 08:26 PM

Todd Stashwick as Drakken? That could work.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 08 June 2018 - 02:43 PM

^Yes it could. I a pretty pleased with the casting, all told. It does seem like Disney is trying to make this as good as possible. One of my fears though is that the cartoon was action oriented and aside from Wendy Wu the Disney Channel hasn't attempted an action DCOM so that aspect might not turn out well.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kim Possible, Disney Channel

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users