Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Campaign for a new (in canon) Stargate Series!

Stargate Fan campaign Dark Matter Joseph Mallozzi Brad Wright Robert C. Cooper

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 11:13 AM

Yes, this is a new twitter campaign, similar (and related) to our efforts to save Dark Matter!  BUT ... it is also different!  I will explain how later on, but first:

TL;DR - If you want a new Stargate series that doesn't break continuity, scroll down to post 3 to learn how you can help!  It's all happening this weekend, March 9th & 10th!

~~~

So, MGM is interested in potentially making a new series based on their stargate property, and they are currently exploring how much fan interest there is, and also in what direction to go.  This is why they have launched the "Stargate Command" website and streaming service, along with the "Stargate Origins" webseries, in order to gauge the fan response to bringing back Stargate in general.

But for the question of what direction to go, they have two choices:

- They could reboot the franchise, starting over for a brand new audience, erasing 17 years of continuity, and potentially alienating much of the existing fan base.

- OR ... They could create a new series, with new characters, that is still in continuity with all the existing series!  Starting with new characters would make it accessible to new viewers, who could learn the world gradually.  But all the continuity would still be there to tap into as needed, bringing with it longtime fans, and potential for familiar guest stars!

Joseph Mallozzi (yes, the Stargate and Dark Matter alum) is proposing the second of these choices, preferably helmed by none other than Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper, long time Stargate show runners!  

To that end, he is working with a dedicated group of fans to organize a massive worldwide fan campaign, to tell MGM what fans want, and how many of us are interested!

I said at the beginning that this is like the Dark Matter campaign, but also different.  Here is what I mean:

- Similar: this is a fan drive urged on by Joseph Mallozzi, and run by several of the same fans as last time, including @thogar.  The battleground is again Twitter, culminating in two huge tweetstorms this coming Friday and Saturday March 9th & 10th, with executives watching to see how big we can trend.  The rules for the tweetstorms are the same, one hour at a time, with a unique hashtag, Friday and again Saturday (at different times for different time zones).  I will provide a link in post 2 with all the rules and advice!

- Different:  The big difference here is who the campaign is aimed at, and who has the power to respond.  Dark Matter was in the hands of SyFy, and despite their tag line, they clearly do not care about their fans.  #ItsNotAFanThing #ItsAGreedThing  
~~~  But ~~~
MGM wants to know what their fans think!  They want their shows to be successful, and so they are paying very close attention!  They are listening and they care! This is our chance to be heard guys!  :cool:

Here is where it gets really interesting.  See, when MGM launched "Stargate Command", it was never just a home for Stargate Origins. They are hoping to make it a full platform for all things Stargate: full streaming access to all the exsisting shows, any new shows, and behind the scenes content, with one subscription.  And more than that, it could the streaming home for various other sci-fi shows, new and old!  In fact, it turns out that MGM was the party most interested in continuing Dark Matter on this very platform, before "contractual issues" got in the way!  But get this: if this platform launches, and becomes successful, and employs the familiar writers along the way ... something else becomes possible too!  A few years down the line, the "contracts" binding Dark Matter will have expired, and MGM would be able to make a conclusion to the story!  Yippee!  :woohoo:

So we can potentially save Stargate and Dark Matter at the same time!  Weeee!  :D

Next I will post links and details about how it all works.  Stay tuned!  :cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 06 March 2018 - 06:49 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

Count me in.  I miss the Stargate shows and I'd love to see a new one. I wasn't willing to pay for Stargate Command just to see the ten-minute chapters of Stargate Origins, but if there was a new show, and if it became a more general SF service, I'd join up.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 06 March 2018 - 06:48 PM

If you want to get involved, here's how!

First, if you are not on twitter, join now!  Even if you only use it for this!  And if you are new to twitter and are unsure about anything, please ask questions!  You can ask me (here or on twitter), or direct your questions to any of the twitter accounts that I will be mentioning.

Here is a great article at Three if by Space summarizing everything you need to know about the twitter event, how it works, and how to participate effectively.  So, read this article:

StargateNow Drive To Revive: Rules! Times! GIFs!

Basically, the idea is for everyone to come together at a specific time, all tweeting in the same way for an hour in order to trend as big as possible.

Because of how twitter's algorithms for trending work, there are some specific rules to follow when tweeting, otherwise it won't count.  Make sure to read that article to learn those rules.  They are simple, but important.

Unlike the Dark Matter campaign where we had multiple tweetstorms over several weeks, this is just one big event over two days this weekend! So as a time commitment, it's short!  Just learn the process, prep some tweets ahead of time, and then show up at the designated time and tweet till your fingers hurt!  :hehe:  We've only got one shot at this, lets make it count! :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The big dates are:

North America:
Friday March 9th
6pm CST / 9pm EST, etc

International (timed for when Europe is awake):
Saturday March 10th
7pm GMT / 2pm EST in the US, etc

Take part in one or both, whatever you can!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, join twitter, and follow @StargateNow, the coordinating account!  Also follow @BaronDestructo (Joe Mallozzi) and @Thogar (Tom Gardiner)!  And there are plenty of other big names involved!  This is the #drivetorevive #stargatenow!

More tips and articles coming up. :)

SFG

PS: My twitter is @5ciFiGirl

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 07 March 2018 - 06:17 PM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:11 PM

^^  That Thogar link doesn't work. There seems to be some random invisible characters included in there.

@Thogar

^^  This one works.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:17 PM

^ Thank you!  (Silly copy / paste. :hehe:)  I'll fix it right now!

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

No problem.  :)

#7 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:06 PM

For a little more info about how this works, here are a some highlights from the article I posted above, plus a few other tidbits.

drivetoreviveMarch9 - Image by Kelli Zielinski (Twitter @KelliMZielinski).jpg
Image by Kelli Zielinski (Twitter @KelliMZielinski)

Friday's time zones (evening in North America)

StargateNowNorthAmericaTimes.jpg

Saturday's time zones (evening in Europe)

StargateNowIntertationalTimes.jpg
~~~

The rules.  Twitter's algorithms work in specific ways, and so we have to follow certain rules in order to trend.  If you don't follow these rules, your tweets won't count!

StargateNowTwitterRules.jpg

The biggest ones are to include the correct hashtag, and especially only one hashtag! And we can't use the hashtag before the appointed time, or it throws off the whole trend.  So, the tag won't be announced until 15 minutes before the start time.  That gives you time to prepare, but don't use the hashtag even one minute early!!! :o

Pics and GIFs.  Tweets count more for trending if they include images.  To this end, the organizers have assembled a google drive full of images, and you can download the whole thing as a zip file!  It also includes banners, avatars, fan art, and even ringtones! :lol:

Here is the link to the google drive collection of images!!!  :D :cool:

So plenty of material for posting GIFs in your tweets, but you don't even have to use Stargate GIFs.  Even twitter's default collection of GIFs work fine!  Anything to emphasize your comment, and the image will help it trend!

~~~

There was a rehearsal tweetstorm last Friday and Saturday, so newcomers could get used to how it works, and correct any mistakes.  But also to see how we are doing, and what areas need work.  The results were big, but the content was something like 12% original tweets and 88% retweets.  We need to boost the number of original tweets.

Stargate Now
@StargateNow

See below.  This might be a good suggestion for some of you but not others, but we REALLY need to get our stats up for original tweets on the day of the Tweetstorm this Friday/Saturday.
Posted Image
5:32 PM - 4 Mar 2018

Stargate Now
@StargateNow

We definitely need to get our original tweet count much higher.  We had 88% of our tweets as retweets.  Replies are good, too.  That stat was low last week, too.  So when we post questions, you can "reply" in the same format you would an original tweet.
9:26 PM - 7 Mar 2018

To that end, the suggestion is to think up things to say ahead of time, and jot them down in a word document, or drafts in a twitter app, or wherever.  The really important thing is to be ready to add the designated hashtag at the last minute, along with your images!  

Speaking of adding the # tag to your drafts, there will also be two @ accounts that need to be included!  So have all your drafts ready, and at the last minute paste the # and two @s onto all of them!  (If I am not making sense, please ask questions! ;))  Again, the exact details of these will be announced 15 minutes before the start time!

Also, when you write your drafts, make sure to leave room for the add on text.  I can post info on how many characters if that would help.

But in general, keep your tweets short and to the point, no more than a sentence or two.  If you have something longer to say, break it up into a series of tweets, and post them as replies (a twitter thread)!  Easier to read, and more tweets that way!

Lots of ideas for what kind of things to say.  Mention different characters you love, and why.  Or favorite episodes, or moments, or quotes, or aliens ... so much material to choose from!!! :D Just put each one in a different tweet, and try to pick images for them!

One more thing to mention.  There are apps and tools (both mobile and web based) that allow you to schedule tweets ahead of time to post automatically.  This should be useful, but is very problematic, because you need to edit them all at the last minute to add the @ and #.  Failure do to so means it won't count.  So if you have a tool to schedule tweets, only use it if you can edit them right before the event.

Here is info on a workaround for one tool, for example:

Stargate Now
@StargateNow

#Stargate fans, if you're using Tweetdeck to schedule tweets you won't be able to edit if you add an image early. It'll only let you delete once image is attached.

Easy Workaround: Add the image later when you add your tag. (Text-only scheduled tweets are editable)
#StargateNow
3:52 PM - 7 Mar 2018

It all starts tomorrow people!  Get ready!  :cool:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 March 2018 - 04:25 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 04:33 PM

Here is an example tweet, the way it should look:

Stargate Now @StargateNow

Using Dog and Cat as the example account names:
YOUR TWEET  @Dog @Cat #HashtagWeGiveYou

That works for both original tweets and replies.

9:26 PM - 7 Mar 2018

And here is info on the character numbers, for planning drafts:

Stargate Now @StargateNow

For those who are wondering about how many characters will be eaten up by the hashtag and the two accounts we will @ it comes to 41 for Friday North America tweet and 40 for the Saturday Europe tweet. Hope that helps.

6:16 PM - 7 Mar 2018

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 08 March 2018 - 04:34 PM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 08 March 2018 - 05:57 PM

Ready to rock'n'roll.  :cool:

#10 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:46 AM

Links and articles.

- Joe's latest blog entry summarizes everything very concisely:  March 8, 2018: Stargate Now!

- Last week Joe posted this on his blog:

Less than 10 days out from our scheduled tweet-storm, the Stargate Initiative is gaining steam!  The @StargateNow twitter account is inching towards 9k followers with a number of familiar faces boarding the drive including:

@MichaelShanks, @dhewlett, @martingero, @cpbinder, @Ivonbartok, @redTamsen, @JeffTeravainen, @dopudmike, @Ayisha_Issa, @PatrickGilmore, @mikamckinnon, @marksavela, @PeterKelamis, @MichaelMoreci, @MichaelWelchAct, @SamMaggs, @actualApophis, @ranthonylemke, @SuanneBraun, @cliffsimon, @PaulyMcGillion, @imcorinnemec, @SimoneBaily, @AlexMallariJr.  And we still have over a week to go!

These are just some of the folks you will see at the event! :D  And, an update on the @StargateNow twitter account now has almost 14,000 followers!  So many people getting involved!  :cool:

- Here is an awesome video, explaining the whole thing and even discussing some things I didn't know about!  Yes, it's in french, but there are english subtitles!  And like I said it's an awesome video, so turn on the captions and watch!!

- More articles from various sources:

A fan movement wants to bring 'Stargate' back to TV

Meet two fans behind the StargateNow movement

List of articles from Joe's blog dated February 27, 2018:

This from Joe's blog on February 21, 2018:

Coincidentally, I came across this article today: The New Economics of TV’s Reboot Craze.  The title is somewhat inaccurate as the piece focuses on not just reboots but revivals as well (which is what we’re talking about here), but one section really drives home the point I’m trying to make with this campaign:

“How do you break through the clutter when there are 20 places to sell a show? The marketing and promo folks will always tell you, ‘Give me a title. Give me a star. Give me something where I’m not starting from scratch.’ And, in many cases, these series come with built-in, contemporary fan bases through years of original series reruns on both cable and streaming platforms.”

Are you kidding me? Stargate comes with one of the biggest of built-in, contemporary fan bases, a core audience (to add to all those new viewers who’ll be discovering the gate for the first time) that will not only tune in but help get the word out.  THEY are your ready-to-go marketing campaign!

The StargateNow Dress Rehearsal Was a Huge Success, Next Weekend Is the Big Show

Interview: Jumping Through the Stargate With Joseph Mallozzi

[#DriveToRevive] Rencontre avec Joseph Mallozzi avant le TweetStorm !

A conversation with Joseph Mallozzi

Edit: add new article:

‘Stargate’ fans mobilize to bring in-canon series back to TV

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 March 2018 - 11:56 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#11 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 12:52 AM

An update:

Stargate Now‏ @StargateNow

Also Joe put in his blog the two accounts to whom we will be directing our tweets @stargatecommand and @MGM_Studios This does NOT include the hashtag. That won't be released until 15 minutes before the event

7:10 PM - 8 Mar 2018

Also:

If you guys have questions you need answers to, please DM us. With the extraordinary activity going on with all of you helping to get the word out, we 99% surely won't see it. We might not be able to immediately respond, but we will.

7:28 PM - 8 Mar 2018

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 09 March 2018 - 12:52 AM.

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#12 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 08:53 PM

And the hashtag is: Dont use this until the top of the hour
Posted Image

8:50 PM - 9 Mar 2018

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#13 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 10:47 AM

Awesome job last night!  Trending all over the world!  Stats later but first, one more today!

StargateNowIntertationalTimes.jpg

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,795 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 01:52 PM

Stargate Now Europe‏ @StargateNow_EU

DO NOT USE THIS BEFORE THE TOP OF THE HOUR. The hashtag for tonight's tweet stom is below.

Posted Image

1:49 PM - 10 Mar 2018

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,138 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 05:44 PM

I didn't get home in time today.  :(  I'm glad we did good last night, though.  I hope today went just as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Stargate, Fan campaign, Dark Matter, Joseph Mallozzi, Brad Wright, Robert C. Cooper

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users