• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Orpheus

Orpheus

I'm not the boss of you!

• Administrator
  • 17,741 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 03:57 AM

Comcast Found ‘Accidentally’ Blocking Legitimate Sites — Including PayPal and Steam

This is the first step of the US internet without Net Neutrality. There's no list of domains by their default "protective browsing", no reasons given, no acknowledgement, and no appeal.

Ironically, when these problems began in January, they only sporadically affected me (preventing me from using PayPal on eBAy on weekends), because I was using a 10 year old DOCSYS 2 (DOCSYS is a digital transfer standard), which doesn't give THEM all the features THEY want to monitor/control my access. They've threatened to cut off my service year after year unless I upgraded; they left countless messages offering to schedule a service call; they even sent me a few free [unrequested] DOCSYS 3 cable modems.

But I had it on good authority that they were actually going to shut off DOCSYS 2 service in February, so I finally upgraded. I have an encrypted VPN link to outside the Comcast network, so they can't control or monitor where/what I access anyway.

If you ever have problems [e.g. Comcast blocking sites for "Invalid Certificate", especially when others can still access that site], you should consider disabling "Protected Browsing".
It's important to triple-check when your BROWSER reports an invalid certificate, but your browser lets you see the certificate and confirm the problem. If Comcast blocks a site because it claims the certificate is invalid, it won't connect you, so you never get to see/confirm the site's certificate. Protected Browsing may blocks sites for other reasons -- or simply silently block them without any acknowledgement that it is doing so. People having PayPal problems spent days talking to PayPal support, who had no clue Comcast was "silently blocking" PayPal

1) Go to http://my.xfinity.com

2) At the top of that page, menu items (My Xfinity, Shop/Upgrade, Support, My Account) are followed by several icons (Email, TV, Home, Internet [Wi-Fi symbol], Phone, etc.
Click the Internet/Wi-Fi icon. You may be asked to sign in, if you aren't already signed in from an earlier session.

3) Clicking the Internet/WiFi icon brings up a 2nd level of menus: Overview, People, Devices, Help, More.
Click "More".

4) Scroll down to "Security" or "Network" (depending on your region)
Turn off "Protected Browsing".

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,662 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 06:25 PM

Good info. I haven't had any problems with PayPal yet, but if I do I'll know why and what to do about it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users