Alan Cumming CBS James Patterson Whoopi Goldberg

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 04:48 PM

Posted Image

"Pilot" - Former CIA operative Dr. Dylan Reinhart (Alan Cumming)is lured back to his old life when NYPD detective Lizzie Needham (Bojana Novakovic)needs his help to stop a serial killer, on the series premiere of INSTINCT.

Read more: Listings - INSTINCT on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5A8iLZGkw

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:26 PM

I'm watching!  :cool:

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 09:43 AM

I liked the pilot even though the show doesn't really offer anything new to the genre. The set-up is similar to Castle or Bones or any other number of shows where a cop is teamed up with a civilian. Though, to be fair, the main character, Dylan, did used to be CIA so he is qualified to do this type of work.

What made this enjoyable was Alan Cumming. He was fantastic as Dylan Reinhart. I also appreciated that the episode didn't downplay that he was gay and married. I figured it would hinted at but almost never shown. I was wrong.

My guess is Dylan lying to Andy about working with the police will come back to bite him in this butt.

I liked Lizzie, even if her back story is kind of cliche at this point.

Seeing Whoopi Goldberg was so much fun. I love her and it's nice to see her acting again and not just on The View.

The serial killer aspect was nice. You could at least see where he was coming from, giving justice to people who escaped it. I think it's a motivation most people can understand without endorsing it.

Do clubs really have Rob Lowe nights? That seemed random.

Maybe it's because I don't do drugs nor do I frequent clubs but accepting a drug you've never heard of from a random stranger in the men's restroom just doesn't seem like the best idea.

I did think it was a little far fetched that two of the victims knew each other and were sleeping together.

Here's the listing for tonight's episode:

"Wild Game" - Although Dylan has returned to teaching, Lizzie calls upon his expertise with profiling sociopaths to assist with a bizarre case in which a venture capitalist was murdered and his body ritualistically displayed.

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 11:04 AM

Wild Game was okay. It was easy to spot the killer so there was no real tension in the episode.

Alan Cumming is still the main reason to watch. He is great as Dr. Dylan Reinhart and has the snarkiness down cold. I loved his first scene in the classroom and how he toyed with the student who kept taking notes.

I guess I was wrong about Dylan keeping secrets from Andy. It turns out that Andy knows that Dylan worked for the NYPD and that he will again. Heck, he's making Dylan an office so he can keep it up.

Dylan and Lizzie become partners at the end. It will make it easier for them to solve crimes if Lizzie isn't always having to harangue Dylan into helping her on a case.

"Secrets and Lies" - The murder of a young man who recently left his family's religious community leads Dylan and Lizzie to a series of possible suspects, including a short-tempered photographer and a mysterious girl with amnesia. Also, Lizzie's younger sister, Katie (Genevieve Angelson), unexpectedly drops by for a visit.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 02:04 PM

Secrets and Lies was decent. There wasn't much of a mystery behind the murder and amnesia girl wasn't all that interesting of a villain.

I did appreciate spending more time with Andy. The show really hasn't focused on Dylan's marriage all that much or what drew these two men together. It was nice seeing them interact and Andy worry about losing the bar.

Lizzie's problems with her younger sister were pretty cliche but I did like that the show is developing Lizzie more and diving into her back story instead of just dwelling on how she lost her partner.

I like the show but I'm not loving it yet. The fact that the main character is gay and played by Alan Cumming is what is keeping me coming back. So far the episodes have been decent but nothing you can't get from almost any other similar shows.

"I Heart New York" - Dr. Dylan Reinhart and Det. Lizzie Needham are reassigned to a murder case in Central Park when their investigation into a chemical attack on the subway is taken over by an FBI team led by Dylan's estranged father, Roger (John Doman). However, Dylan can't shake the feeling that the cases are related.

--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 12:59 PM

I'm still enjoying this show. :)  Anyone else still watching?

It went a few weeks without airing, but on Sunday they played 2 in a row!  :cool:

SFG

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#7 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,273 posts

Posted 04 June 2018 - 07:24 PM

I'm still watching and enjoying it. My problem is that they are airing some of the episodes out of order and that hurts the narrative. I had completely forgotten about the plot dealing with Charlie possibly being crooked.

It also doesn't help that they didn't do that good a job of fleshing out the other detectives so when it was revealed that Sosa was the real traitor it didn't have the impact it should have.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Alan Cumming, CBS, James Patterson, Whoopi Goldberg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users