• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 5,022 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 11:22 AM

Mark Zuckerberg is a lying sack of poo. Faecesbook is a bot platform and always has been.

When you try to block or get rid of an ad, you get, "Well, what kind of ads do you like?" Which is a mite Orwellian.

You can't use Faecesbook without being spammed to death.

I'm being told that the alternatives are owned by Faecesbook. Is there any truth to this?
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#2 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,210 posts

Posted 25 March 2018 - 01:04 PM

Yeah, I don't like ads at all. I hate shopping. Partly because I hate it as another chore, partly because I don't care for most stuff. Not that I haven't ever bought some useless or pointless stuff, I think you have to be literally under a rock, or live in N Korea, to have not done that ;) Most items I have bought that I did not need sit on my bookshelf ;) I don't get much zip out of impressing people. Though I recognize that just because someone is interested in fashion or some other pursuit that doesn't hold my interest, that doesn't mean they they live to impress people. They could just genuinely like fashion. The heart wants what it wants, and most of us have little if any control over what that thing initially feels.

I don't know if Facebook owns the alternatives. However, I do think that alternatives are not going to be much better, as its core anyways. What incentive does a business have in giving free services/products without ads? As said elsewhere if you are not buying the product, you are the product. You are eyeballs they can sell the advertisers or other businesses needing clicks (like news media), and all the better with all the data that they can collect on you. With my aversion to shopping and collecting stuff I am probably not a good product for that ;) but I am sure some of my associates in life are.

Edited by sierraleone, 25 March 2018 - 01:37 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#3 Selene

Selene

Traveling Companion

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 03:53 AM

Every social media upstart who has taken on Facebook has either been smashed into the ground or bought up. It reminds me of how Microsoft used to do things back in the earlier days of computers. The difference here, though, is that we live in a newer age of monetized data, where Facebook has access to information and eyeballs that Bill Gates would have drooled over in the late 1980s/early 1990s. Remember Ello, the site touted as the alternative to Facebook, and even the Facebook killer? Yeah, few people do, because though the site billed itself as an alternative to Facebook, and gained 3 million followers, it promptly lost most of them when it was discovered that the site wasn't built anything like Facebook, and few could figure out how the site worked. I remember, because I joined, too, and I used it for a week before giving up on the backwards, minimalist, and yet cumbersome, design.

Twitter, WhatsApp, Instagram, and more. Check out their acquisitions: https://en.wikipedia...ons_by_Facebook

Facebook isn't setup to be a social site, it's Big Brother writ large, monetized, mined, but with a fluffy persona capable of sharing photos of kitty cats, and what you had for dinner last night. Stopping Facebook would be nigh on impossible at this point, because they have such a large footprint. Myspace, the precursor to Facebook, even at its height didn't carry 1/10th the power of Facebook, and that power grows exponentially with every new acquisition. There are no alternatives to Facebook. None. Your kids, your family, your friends, your parents, your grandparents, everyone uses Facebook, and it has inculcated itself into society on every front. It has made itself indispensable.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Facebook, Zuckerberg, Mark Zuckerberg

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users