Arrow: Brothers in Arms

Arrow CW DC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 09:08 AM

I've been bad about posting threads for Arrow and I do apologize for that. I'll be better.

I liked this episode, even if I don't agree with how things went down between Oliver and John. It felt like the writers wanted Oliver to be as isolated as possible so they contrived this excuse that John, who has been there for every decision Oliver has made this season and operated as the Arrow by himself for a while, suddenly felt that Oliver was a bad leader.

Sure, apparently this has been building for a while but we haven't really seen any indication of that. It is hypocritical of John to call out Oliver's mistakes and blame the rise of Diaz on Oliver when John had a hand in it too. His excuse that he was being a good soldier and simply following orders doesn't hold water either because John has never had a problem calling out Oliver in the past or speaking his mind.

It feels like the heroes take one step forward, two steps back whenever they get something on Diaz. Here they arrest Anatoli only for him to walk and the only good cops on the force have to go in hiding and are then fired. Oliver fires two of Diaz's people only for them to use that to call for his impeachment.

Laurel going back to her bad ways isn't that big of a surprise. Like Quentin said, Laurel latches on to father figures. Sure, he has been trying to help but Diaz knows all the right things to whisper to a homicidal maniac.

I am glad that Curtis has a new love interest. I like Nick and hope he continues to be a presence on the show. I did want to slap Curtis though when he said Paul divorced him for being a vigilante. No, Paul divorced him because Curtis spent months lying about being a vigilante.

At least Nick might be warming up to vigilantism, or at least is willing to overlook it because of how much he likes Curtis. Though is it too much to ask to have shown them kiss there at the end? I mean, come on.

Nice seeing Lyla again. I had almost forgotten about her. She doesn't really have much of a presence on the show anymore.

It is surprising that we haven't seen Rene. I figured we'd at least get a scene of him in the hospital.

What I am liking about this season is how down to earth it is. Diaz is a regular crime boss, albeit a really successful one. He basically took over the city under Oliver's nose while also playing Cayden James against Team Arrow. He has also broken up the team.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,892 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 06 April 2018 - 09:08 AM, said:

I liked this episode, even if I don't agree with how things went down between Oliver and John. It felt like the writers wanted Oliver to be as isolated as possible so they contrived this excuse that John, who has been there for every decision Oliver has made this season and operated as the Arrow by himself for a while, suddenly felt that Oliver was a bad leader.

Sure, apparently this has been building for a while but we haven't really seen any indication of that. It is hypocritical of John to call out Oliver's mistakes and blame the rise of Diaz on Oliver when John had a hand in it too. His excuse that he was being a good soldier and simply following orders doesn't hold water either because John has never had a problem calling out Oliver in the past or speaking his mind.

I felt the episode handled that well, because it took a while for Diggle to realize why he was upset. So this is something that's been in the back of his mind for a while, but the doubts didn't really crystallize until he really confronted them.

I agree that the writers are trying too hard to isolate Oliver, but I think they handled the confrontation between these two characters extremely well, and Amell and Ramsey did a fantastic job playing the scene.

I am glad that Curtis has a new love interest. I like Nick and hope he continues to be a presence on the show. I did want to slap Curtis though when he said Paul divorced him for being a vigilante. No, Paul divorced him because Curtis spent months lying about being a vigilante.

Actually it was because he couldn't live with the worry that his vigilante husband would get killed -- pretty much the same reason Lynn divorced Jefferson in Black Lightning.

It is surprising that we haven't seen Rene. I figured we'd at least get a scene of him in the hospital.

Presumably the reason Rene was injured in the first place is because Rick Gonzalez had some other commitment and needed to be written out of the show for a while. Or maybe they only signed him for a certain number of episodes, like with Willa Holland these past few years.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Arrow, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users