• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 05:10 PM

The communities join forces in the last stand against the Saviors as all-out war unfolds.

Will this be the end of Negan?  Sweet Zombie Jesus, please let it be the end of Negan.

Interestingly, Fear The Walking Dead already used this title.  And, speaking of Fear, the new season premieres tonight after this episode (see other thread).
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,422 posts

Posted 16 April 2018 - 05:25 PM

Wow, that was a great season finale. Negan got taken out early on, leaving plenty of time for follow up and character moments.  And Rick finally got it together and honored Carl's wishes-- not just by letting Negan live, just when we thought he had killed him, but by inviting the Saviors to join the community.

Negan's downfall was handled pretty perfectly. All the guns exploding was a shocker. At first, I thought Rick had anticipated the double cross and had secret snipers-- then I realized that the guns were exploding and that Eugene was responsible. Then when Negan went after Eugene, both Gabriel and Dwight tackled him, and he ran away. It was great to see all three of them get their moments before Rick went after him for the final showdown, as it had to be.  Negan actually seemed to be affected by Carl's words, distracting him enough for Rick to take him down-- I thought he was dead (and so soon in the episode) before Rick sent the doctor to save him. Maggie's reaction to that was heartbreaking. She's really been bottling everything up since Glen was killed.

Another great moment was the arrival of the Amazons with their Molotov cocktails. :D  Just as Tara decided to show some trust for that mild-mannered ex-Savior and his pals, the point was made moot by massive explosions that took out everyone attacking the Hilltop.  And it looks like that guy has also been accepted by Maggie as a new Hilltop resident.  I didn't see Aaron around, though. Presumably he was with the Amazons.

I was happy that Negan announced where Dwight stood before everything descended into chaos. I figured everyone would believe he had sold them out. Even Daryl gave him a second chance, in his own way, by giving him a truck and sending him to "find her."

The pseudo-reconciliation scene between Eugene and Rosita was great. Pow!  :D  I didn't think that Eugene could be redeemed at this point, but he really saved the day.  Things would have gone much differently if it wasn't for him.

And Father Gabriel has his vision back.  Apparently it wasn't the fever, it was just psychosomatic.

But then at the end we have that ominous moment of Maggie plotting against Rick-- along with Daryl and Jesus.  That was very unexpected (especially considering the rumors that Maggie is leaving the show), but Negan killed Glen and pretty much the only thing she wanted in the world was to kill him, so it does make sense.  And Daryl kind of makes sense, too, since he's not the forgiving kind and he was always more about killing all the Saviors than winning them over.  I don't understand why Maggie went to Jesus, though, or why he's going along with it. I fail to see the motivation.

But all in all, a great finale.  The Hilltop and Oceanside and the Kingdom all survive (and I suppose Alexandria can be rebuilt) and the Saviors are defeated. And there were no major deaths.  It really did feel like we're entering a new era of the Apocalypse where civilization can be restored.  :nod:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users