• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 09:02 PM

Posted Image

https://www.superman...th-anniversary/

That is a link to an article that rounds up various other articles celebrating the Man of Steel turning 80 and the release of Action Comics #1,000.

As a huge Superman fan I am stoked at all the attention he is getting. I also like that we have two Superman related TV shows on the air. Now if we could get a Man of Steel 2.

I remember that, outside of comics, my first big exposure to the character was Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman. It was one of my favorite shows. It definitely informed how I viewed the character and his relationship with his supporting cast.

Action Comics #1,000 was good though it wasn't the slam dunk that it should have been. There were some really good stories in there and a lot of nice retrospectives about Superman but I wanted more from it. The 12 pages written by Bendis were good but it didn't whet my appetite for his run. Heck, the big twist about the villain is taken from the Superman: Earth One series.

Still, there was a lot to like. I loved the Superman Day celebration where all of the heroes gathered together and told Superman that they probably wouldn't be there without him. It was a nice meta commentary on the importance of Superman to the world of superhero comics.

I also liked that they included Superboy in the Death and Return of Superman splash page. He had been taken out when they did the Superman: Reborn story.

I plan on having a Superman marathon on my day off. I plan on watching at least one episode from the various Superman shows and Superman: The Movie and Man of Steel.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM

I'd be interested to hear your take on Bendis' upcoming "Man of Steel" miniseries, s'il vous plait.

I confess, from what I’ve read of Bendis' works, he strikes me as an odd choice of writer for Superman.  So, I’m interested in what, if anything, new he brings to the table with his interpretation of the man of tomorrow.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 19 April 2018 - 02:17 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 06:57 PM

Happy Birthday, Superman.  Posted Image

I still think the best Superman stories were the ones from the days when he could be turned into a giant head of lettuce by red Kryptonite at any given moment.  :D

View PostG-man, on 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

I confess, from what I’ve read of Bendis' works, he strikes me as an odd choice of writer for Superman.  
He was also an odd choice for Avengers and X-Men and anything else he ever wrote besides Alias and maybe Daredevil. He had way too much influence over Marvel for the past 15 or more years. He's a large part of the reason I stopped reading.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:44 PM

I haven't read the issue yet, but I loved the decade variant covers. Great way to celebrate!

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,904 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:26 PM

A belated reminder that this was not only the 80th birthday of Superman and Lois Lane, but of Zatara the Magician as well. He also debuted in Action Comics #1, along with several other features that didn't stand the test of time.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#6 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostG-man, on 19 April 2018 - 02:02 PM, said:

I'd be interested to hear your take on Bendis' upcoming "Man of Steel" miniseries, s'il vous plait.

I confess, from what I’ve read of Bendis' works, he strikes me as an odd choice of writer for Superman.  So, I’m interested in what, if anything, new he brings to the table with his interpretation of the man of tomorrow.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

I will start a thread about his mini-series when it comes out. I agree that he's an odd choice, but his name will probably bring in a lot of new readers.

The sad thing about this is that I felt the Superman comics were in a really good place. Jurgens and Tomasi were writing quality Superman stories. The two were in sync with each other and utilized all aspects of the character and his supporting cast well.

I'm just afraid the baby will be thrown out with the bath water. The Supergirl comic was cancelled, in part because of Bendis and his plans for the character.

View PostQueenTiye, on 20 April 2018 - 03:44 PM, said:

I haven't read the issue yet, but I loved the decade variant covers. Great way to celebrate!

QT

The variant covers are great. I bought the issue on the Kindle so it includes all the variants. It was a fun nostalgia trip.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#7 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 11:03 PM

Oh! I hadn't realized all the variants weren't in the print edition? I have mine on Kindle as well.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

I didn't think about it being available for Kindle.  I may get it.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,335 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:57 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 22 April 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

I didn't think about it being available for Kindle.  I may get it.

I get most of my new comics on the Kindle. It is easier than driving to the comic store every Wednesday and it saves a ton of space. Plus, I don't buy near as many comics as I used to so going to the comic store on a weekly basis just made no sense.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:32 PM

So, I picked up Action Comics issue #1000, largely because that is a record that will rarely be matched.  I kind of skimmed the first story where everyone is covering for Supes so he can be there at the dedication; and I saw the segment that appeared to be the aftermath of the cover of Action Comic #1; and I finally saw the Bendis segment at the end of the issue.

Well, this looked issue to be a nice celebration of our hero.  However, there was a dissonance in one segment where they celebrate 80 years of Superman in print, but, in theory the character (at least this iteration) has only been around for 30-40 years … which makes the call backs to earlier appearances somewhat jarring.  Maybe.  I haven’t actually sat down and read the issue cover to cover, so it might be explained, but flipping through it, that was my impression.

It was nice to see the innate positivity of the character, and how it is his compassion and kindness, as well as courage and capabilities that make him such an inspiration for others.  Here’s hoping they keep that aspect of Superman intact for the latest run of the character.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#11 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 05:36 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 25 April 2018 - 07:57 PM, said:

I get most of my new comics on the Kindle. It is easier than driving to the comic store every Wednesday and it saves a ton of space. Plus, I don't buy near as many comics as I used to so going to the comic store on a weekly basis just made no sense.  
I get all my comics on Kindle now, but I just get archive editions and TPBs these days. It didn't occur to me that single issues would be available, and so quickly.

View PostG-man, on 26 April 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

It was nice to see the innate positivity of the character, and how it is his compassion and kindness, as well as courage and capabilities that make him such an inspiration for others.  Here’s hoping they keep that aspect of Superman intact for the latest run of the character.  
And then there's his greatest power.

#12 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:20 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 26 April 2018 - 05:36 PM, said:

And then there's his greatest power.

Great article/essay.  Though Clark wasn't supposed to be an "anonymous" reporter.  He and Lois were "star" reporters with a presumption that readers and the public actually knows their names.  Pretty rare now except maybe for those who show up frequently on the cable news shows.  The point stands though.

The cover posted in post #1 - is that a wraparound that might actually be on the comic store shelves?  I'm so tempted to see if the issue is available.  I'm still a major Supes fan.  But increasing prices and too many changes to keep track of (heck, I read the printed comic from ages 12-52!) made me stop buying.
Cats will never be extinct!

#13 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:18 PM

I bought the Kindle edition and it looks pretty good. Nice art, for the most part, although the art in Bendis's story looks as inappropriate for Supes as his writing style, which doesn't bode well.

View PostThemis, on 28 April 2018 - 10:20 PM, said:

Great article/essay.  
Thank you.  :)

Though Clark wasn't supposed to be an "anonymous" reporter.  He and Lois were "star" reporters with a presumption that readers and the public actually knows their names.  Pretty rare now except maybe for those who show up frequently on the cable news shows.  The point stands though.  
True, but, still, there are many star reporters and only one Superman.

The cover posted in post #1 - is that a wraparound that might actually be on the comic store shelves?  I'm so tempted to see if the issue is available.  I'm still a major Supes fan.  But increasing prices and too many changes to keep track of (heck, I read the printed comic from ages 12-52!) made me stop buying.  
I would assume so, since it has the UPC code on it.  But there are probably multiple cover variants out there, the way things are these days.

#14 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,603 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

There ARE multiple cover variants out there, with the default cover being the modern(-ish) rendition of the Man of Steel.  The others depict Superman as he might've appeared through out his history (a cover for the 30's, one for the 40's, one for the 50's, etc.).

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
-- Doc Savage

#15 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,781 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 05:49 PM

Right, I knew that, because they're all included in the Kindle edition. Duh. The earlier ones are the better ones. The later decades lack any real identity.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Superman, Action Comics 1000, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users