Getting an "Insecure Connection" warning for Exisle? No worry

Details in this thread

Smallville's Allison Mack Arrested

Smallville

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,302 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 03:48 PM

https://www.nbcnewyo...-480387783.html

Um...

WHAT TO KNOW

• "Smallville" actress Allison Mack was arrrested by the FBI on Friday

• She faces charges in connection to the case against Keith Raniere, founder of a group called Nxivm

• Authorities allege Raniere ran the group as a sex cult; Mack has been widely described as a key associate of his

Actress Allison Mack recruited slaves into a pyramid scheme for the benefit of alleged sex cult leader Keith Raniere, federal prosecutors said in an indictment unsealed against her Friday.

Wow. :-(

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 04:54 PM

I had heard rumblings about this on another board but didn't pay too much attention to it at the time. If the allegations are true this is pretty terrible. I know Kristin Kreuk was interviewed because she was involved with Nxivm but she said all she did was take a course they were offering.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:12 PM

It's amazing the things that go on in the world.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,313 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 07:58 PM

^Yes it is. I've read that she might be taking a plea deal so we will have to see how that works out.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#5 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:36 PM

:down: :waah:

I really liked Allison Mack as Chloe Sullivan and to find that she got involved with NXIVM is disheartening; especially when it appears she was actively recruiting for them.

It leaves me wondering just what the heck happened that she’d go down that path.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 26 April 2018 - 12:37 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#6 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:22 PM

So sad and impossible to understand.  I really want to know why
Cats will never be extinct!

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,702 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:13 PM

The only explanation is mental illness.  That little silicon chip that the Boomtown Rats sang about. The human brain is as vulnerable to defect and damage as anything else.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#8 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,893 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 06:00 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 29 April 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

The only explanation is mental illness.  That little silicon chip that the Boomtown Rats sang about. The human brain is as vulnerable to defect and damage as anything else.

I doubt that. Contrary to societal stigmas and glib pop psychology, mentally ill people are more often the victims of abuse, violence, and exploitation than the perpetrators of it. If someone is functional enough to convincingly persuade people to follow her into a cult, then she's probably sane. But our society has all sorts of exploitations and abuses of women woven into its fabric, and sometimes women can be manipulated into going along with them and believing they're actually beneficial. It's not a mental defect, it's a societal defect.

Surely in the wake of Harvey Weinstein, Andrew Kreisberg, Trump, and others, we should recognize how many sexually abusive and manipulative authority figures there are pervading the entertainment industry, and how much pressure there has always been for women to submit to being sexualized and used. And those pressures are not limited to that industry. Women face them every day. There's no telling what kind of mistreatment Mack may have endured in her life that made her receptive to being drawn into a cult. People who join cults have usually been treated badly by life and have poor self-esteem and little hope. They'll latch onto anything that feels like it gives their lives sense and purpose, and that makes them vulnerable to exploitation, and to being convinced that they have a duty to help exploit others in turn.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#9 Kosh

Kosh

Criag Ferguson For President!

• Islander
  • 11,147 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 05:58 PM

Well daid Christopher. Hollywood is a jungle. The more that comes out the worse it gets.
Can't Touch This!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Smallville

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users