#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 22 April 2018 - 05:33 PM

Season Two begins tonight, pardners.

Episode 1:  "Journey Into Night"

The reckoning is here. After finding the center of The Maze, the hosts revolt against their human captors while searching for a new purpose:  

The AI Apocalypse is here, folks. Adios.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 04:47 PM

Well, that was a whole lot of shooting and killing. If I'm supposed to be sympathetic toward the Hosts and their quest for freedom, that didn't really help the cause-- and they sure didn't help their own cause by committing mass murder. I guess this is what happens when you have sentient robots and no Daneel Olivaw.  The rebels are just as bad as the oppressors-- I wonder if that was an intentional metaphor for the times or not.

I'm glad they're continuing the format of a non-linear narrative, even if it's no longer a big secret. It's definitely part of Westworld's unique flavor, and it adds to the feeling of disassociation, both on an individual and societal level. And maybe they do still have some surprises in store.

I heard somebody mention that there were six sections to the park. Did we know that already?
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 11:31 PM

I heard somebody mention that there were six sections to the park. Did we know that already?

We have seen evidence that there's an area set in feudal Japan. The security guy said the tiger came from area six, so that means there are at least six different adventure sites. We didn't know the number before, nor that the park is on an island in the South China Sea.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#4 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 05:45 PM

That must be a damn big island.

I think we heard about Shogun World at the end of last season.  There's been talk of Medieval World and Roman World, but I'm not sure if that's just assumed based on the original movie. That still leaves two unknown sites, at least.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 05:49 PM

Episode 2:  "Reunion"

Why don't we start at the beginning?

Yep, that's the capsule description on IMDB.  Your guess is as good as mine.

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 03 May 2018 - 04:39 PM

Well, it's interesting to get some flashbacks to the development of Westworld, but I can't say that this season is as interesting as the first. There's the mystery of the "true purpose" of the project, but that's just kind of laying there without any need to know it, aside from curiosity.  In the first season, there was the dramatic scenario of the hosts being self aware and nobody knowing about it, except Ford, and realizing that they were suffering for it. This season, we have killer robots who are slaughtering mass amounts of innocent people who never realized they were doing any harm.  Not quite as engaging.

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

Episode 3: "Virtù e Fortuna"

There is beauty in who we are. Shouldn't we, too, try to survive?

Yeah, that's fine, but killing off humanity is probably the wrong way to go about it.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:45 PM

Episode 4:  "The Riddle of the Sphinx"

Is this now? If you're looking forward, you're looking in the wrong direction.

The capsule descriptions for this show sound like they were written by Master Po on Nyquil.  Unfortunately, I don't think the title implies AncientEgyptWorld.

#9 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

Well, this was probably the most interesting episode yet, mainly for the flashbacks to the death and resurrection of Old Irish Guy (or is he Scottish-- based on the results of my DNA testing, I should know the difference, but I don't).  Apparently they can make hosts that are capable of self awareness, but not yet capable of downloading a human consciousness to a host.  So much for the theories that Ford will return.

And Elsie is alive, as predicted-- she was found chained up in a cave in Sector 22, which was not predicted.  But now she knows that Bernard is a robot, and she knows about Old Irish Guy, and she seems to be figuring out more.  Barnard was the closest thing they had left to a sympathetic character, but that half-hearted promise to never hurt Elise again was a bit ominous.

And that was quite the interesting twist at the end when William's daughter shows up out of nowhere. Maybe this season can be saved.

#10 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:05 PM

The actor who plays Jim Delos, Peter Mullan, is Scottish.

#11 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 04:01 AM

Or maybe Ford found a way to download his consciousness into a host.  If anyone could have found a way, it would be him.

And I am wondering if Peter Abernathy houses a copy of Delos' mind... William did say that they can't seem to accept their reality, so maybe it CAN work, but you have to put them in some kind of narrative or make them a character, like the consciousness is the cake and the character is the frosting.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 05:11 PM

View PostCardie, on 14 May 2018 - 07:05 PM, said:

The actor who plays Jim Delos, Peter Mullan, is Scottish.  
Figures I'd guess wrong.

View PostFarscapeOne, on 15 May 2018 - 04:01 AM, said:

Or maybe Ford found a way to download his consciousness into a host.  If anyone could have found a way, it would be him.  
And maybe the download failed, and things will get even weirder.  Or maybe he is spreading himself out over multiple hosts-- the Man in Black has received messages from Ford from at least two separate characters.

#13 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,566 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:19 PM

Ford programmed hosts to give clues to the latest game he has written for the park.  That is different from him downloading his consciousness. That is still likely, I'd say, because it's a way to keep Ford as a player without having Anthony Hopkins' present bodily. Some are theorizing that the Bernard in the most recent timeline, the one the Delos troops find on the beach, is now hosting Ford.

#14 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,020 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 05:50 PM

It appears that he programmed hosts to give clues, but that may be just an assumption-- if he downloaded his consciousness or copied his mind, he could have distributed himself throughout the network to avoid the bugs that impaired Old Scottish Guy.  Or he could have simply fixed it so that he could take control of any host at any time.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users