5 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 23 April 2018 - 05:42 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

J'ONN HAS TO FACE THE TRUTH ABOUT HIS FATHER - When Myr'nn (guest star Carl Lumbly) inadvertently causes psychic disturbances at the DEO, Supergirl (Melissa Benoist) must work with J'onn (David Harewood) to contain the resulting chaos. Meanwhile, Mon-El (Chris Wood) begins training Kara in fighting techniques he's learned in the future for battling Worldkillers.

Read more: Listings - SUPERGIRL on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5DXQ3sKz2

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:08 PM

First, Mon-El looks great in his superhero costume. I am so glad the show gave him one and didn't leave him in the drab black outfit. Fingers crossed we see him in the suit more often.

The cape-fu was fun and I hope we see Kara incorporating it into her fights more often.

I will admit that the synopsis for this episode didn't exactly thrill me but it ended up being a stellar episode.

Just when I think Kara and Mon-El have resolved their differences something else pops up. Kara's speech about how terrible Mon-El treated her at times almost felt like the writers acknowledging some of the fan complaints about the Kara/Mon-El relationship. I liked that Kara aired her grievances and the two were able to have an adult conversation about it. I do hope they get back together though I doubt that will actually happen.

The Lena/Sam scenes were great. Kudos to Odette for her work here, especially at the end where Lena confronts her with video footage of Sam turning into Reign and using her superpowers.

Not much Jimmy this episode but he did have a nice scene with Lena.

The Myr'nn stuff was moving. I can't imagine getting to that age and being used to being independent and all of a sudden your mind fails you and you have to be taken care of. It makes sense that Myr'nn would refuse J'onn's help at first especially since J'onn wanted to silence Myr'nn's mind.

Nice use of the phrase "the son becomes the father, the father becomes the son."

Winn had a decent role in the episode. Nice that he isn't simply fading to the background again.

I loved seeing Kara and Mon-El flying side by side at the end. Too bad it was ruined by a shower of dead birds brought on by Pestilence.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

The problem is, they really made Mon-El into a real jerk … all for his hero’s journey, I suppose, but it really, REALLY begged the question of what was it Supergirl saw in him (beyond his pretty boy appearance).  On the plus side, his costume does look good, and it is nice that they are working in cape-fu, albeit, I don’t think cape-fu works the way they were showing it working.

What got me was him [after he returned] claiming he succeeded in rescuing Live Wire, when, in fact, his attempt had been thwarted and it was Supergirl who freed her, just showed to me that he still was rather conceited.  So, yeah, he had that tirade coming, and Kara really needed to give it.  I really wished they hadn’t killed off Live Wire, as, despite their differences, it looked as if Live Wire would’ve made a good friend for Kara, standing up for her even as Supergirl bites her tongue.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#4 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:31 PM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 25 April 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

The Myr'nn stuff was moving. I can't imagine getting to that age and being used to being independent and all of a sudden your mind fails you and you have to be taken care of. It makes sense that Myr'nn would refuse J'onn's help at first especially since J'onn wanted to silence Myr'nn's mind.

Nice use of the phrase "the son becomes the father, the father becomes the son."

Very nice episode.  So many great character moments.  I work as a sitter for seniors on a spectrum from mild memory loss to dementia to Alzheimers so I see this almost every day and the episode really hit home.  With two of my clients, the phrase could be "the wife becomes the mother."  Very widespread problem.
Cats will never be extinct!

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,314 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostG-man, on 26 April 2018 - 12:55 PM, said:

The problem is, they really made Mon-El into a real jerk … all for his hero’s journey, I suppose, but it really, REALLY begged the question of what was it Supergirl saw in him (beyond his pretty boy appearance).  On the plus side, his costume does look good, and it is nice that they are working in cape-fu, albeit, I don’t think cape-fu works the way they were showing it working.

I think Kara was at first attracted to Mon-El because of his looks but I do think she saw the potential in him. He did become a better person over the course of season 2. I also think the fact that he was just like her: a survivor of a doomed planet. Not only that, but he was basically a planet away from Krypton so she could talk to him about things that Clark and J'onn wouldn't understand since neither of them lived on Krypton.

View PostThemis, on 28 April 2018 - 10:31 PM, said:

View PostVirgil Vox, on 25 April 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

Very nice episode.  So many great character moments.  I work as a sitter for seniors on a spectrum from mild memory loss to dementia to Alzheimers so I see this almost every day and the episode really hit home.  With two of my clients, the phrase could be "the wife becomes the mother."  Very widespread problem.

That has to be tough. I can't think of many things worse than slowly losing your mind and memory and not being able to do anything about it.
--Jor-El

-- Harry S. Truman

#6 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,596 posts

Posted 30 April 2018 - 12:56 PM

Well, yeah, there was that.

It’s just more the pity that they decided to depict him as a conceited self-absorbed jerk, who only by the end of the season was prepared to think of others.  Now, after a few years to work on it, and in the company of Imra/Saturn-Girl, has he improved to the point where him being a conceited jerk is far less obvious.  (Sorry, within this show I am not a fan of Mon-El.)

Of course, YMMV.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Supergirl, DC, CW

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users