• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Selene

Selene

Traveling Companion

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 03:18 AM

The latest news from TheGrio.com says that Nichelle Nichols has dementia. As I'm sure most Trek fans know, Nichelle played Lt. Uhura on the original series back in the 1960s.

Nichelle Nichols, a TV pioneer who gained notoriety playing Lieutenant Uhura on the cult-classic series Star Trek, is suffering from dementia and needs protection, TMZ reports. Her son, Kyle Johnson, has filed legal docs asking for trustees to be appointed to oversee the 85-year-old’s finances. Johnson is also looking to protect his mother’s estate and legally make medical decisions on her behalf. Johnson said the measure is necessary because her dementia is “impacting her executive functioning” and makes her “susceptible to undue influence.”” He added” “Certain individuals have unduly exerted themselves into [her] life to her detriment.” This is an unfortunate turn of events for the TV icon who first played the role that made her famous in 1968.
(source: https://thegrio.com/...d-has-dementia/)

Now, I am taking things with the tiniest pinch of salt, because it's possible either TMZ/The Grio is wrong, or her son isn't being forward with everything. It's just frustrating to read things like this, at least for me as a long-time Trekkie. I know people get old, and time marches on, but when I start seeing the people I loved as a kid begin to age and wither away, it's just heartbreaking.

Edited by Selene, 07 May 2018 - 03:20 AM.

#2 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:36 PM

Oh, man, this breaks my heart.  I hope her son is sincere and really wants to take good care of her. I hate how vulnerable old people are to schemers and users.  I just read recently that something similar is happening to Stan Lee.  The elderly deserve better than that.

Good luck, Nichelle. I hope your old age can be safe and happy.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#3 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 07 May 2018 - 05:51 PM

I senior sit for a few people with dementia/Alzheimer's and it is so tragic.  Honestly, it's not quite as tragic when the person is really up in years, but 80 is the new 70 and when the person is physically healthy and able but the mind isn't functioning, it's horrible.  In the cases I see, the family is so supportive and a couple of the wives qualify for sainthood, but the stories about these folk being taken advantage of are legion.
Cats will never be extinct!

#4 Selene

Selene

Traveling Companion

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:19 PM

I'm glad Bill Shatner seems to have everything about him, and is in generally good shape. I think what got me about Nichelle is that she still looks terrific, seems to always be in good spirits, always sharp, and aware. This was a bit of a blindside.

#5 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:37 PM

She's always seemed very good, but she had a bit of a stroke a couple of years ago, so that may be a contributing factor.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#6 Selene

Selene

Traveling Companion

• Just Washed Ashore
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:54 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 09 May 2018 - 04:37 PM, said:

She's always seemed very good, but she had a bit of a stroke a couple of years ago, so that may be a contributing factor.
Oh, I didn't know about that. :(

#7 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 13,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:09 PM

It was minor, or seemed minor at the time, but you never know what the long-term effects will be.  :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Star Trek, Nichelle Nichols, Dementia

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users