16 replies to this topic

#1 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 12:58 AM

Hello Folks

And now, here's the thread for all things CBS regarding the upfronts.

And you know it's upfronts time when networks order new shows - so new, in fact, that some of them even don't have a title yet.

One of those is the "Untitled Damon Wayans Jr. Project" (yeah, that won't look good on a title card). From Austen Earl, Tim McAuliffe and Ben Winston ("The Late Late Show With James Corden"), it revolves around Peter (Wayans) and Claire (Amber Stevens West), a thirtysomething couple who are tired of their mundane life and start to reconnect with their younger, cooler selves when an emerging pop star, who is drawn to their super-normal suburban life, moves in.
Felix Mallard, Stephnie Weir and Chris Parnell are co-starring. The pilot was directed by Phill Lewis and is inspired by the time when Wayans and One Direction co-member Harry Styles were living together.

The other new comedy on CBS' roaster is "Welcome To The Neighborhood". It centers on the nicest guy in the Midwest (Josh Lawson) who moves his family into a tough neighborhood in L.A. where not everyone appreciates his extreme neighborliness. That includes their new next-door neighbor Calvin (Cedric The Entertainer). The cast includes Sheaun McKinney, Tichina Arnold, Dreama Walker, Marcel Spears and Hank Greenspan. Veteran director James Burrows helmed the pilot.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#2 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

UPDATE:

Amidst all the canceling and renewing from other networks, CBS has issued a bunch of series orders today.

- "Magnum P.I.", from Peter M. Lenkov ("Hawaii Five-O, "MacGyver") and Eric Guggenheim, is an update of the classic television series set in Hawaii, MAGNUM P.I. follows Thomas Magnum, a decorated ex-Navy SEAL who, upon returning home from Afghanistan, repurposes his military skills to become a private investigator.
Jay Hernandez, Perdita Weeks, Zachary Knighton, Stephen Hill star. Justin Lin directed the pilot.

- "God Friended Me", from Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter. Questions of faith, existence and science are explored in this humorous, uplifting series about an outspoken atheist whose life is turned upside down when he is “friended” by God on social media. Unwittingly, he becomes an agent of change in the lives and destinies of others around him.
Brandon Micheal Hall, Violett Beane, Suraj Sharma, Javicia Leslie, Joe Morton are starring. The pilot was directed by Marcos Siega ("The Vampire Diaries", "The Following").

- "The Red Line", also from Berlanti and Schechter, and AvaDuVernay deals with the aftermath of a white cop in Chicago mistakenly shooting and killing a black doctor, we follow three vastly different families that all have connections with the case as the story is told from each perspective.
The large ensemble cast includes Noah Wyle, Emayatzy Corinealdi, Aliyah Royale, Noel Fisher, Michael Patrick Thornton, Vinny Chhibber, Howard Charles, Elizabeth Laidlaw. Victoria Mahoney directed the pilot.

- "The Code", from writers Craig Sweeney ("Limitless") and Craig Turk, centers on the military’s brightest minds that take on our country’s toughest challenges – inside the courtroom and out – where each attorney is trained as a prosecutor, a defense lawyer, an investigator – and a Marine.
Dave Annable, who played the female lead, and female co-star Mira Sorvino exited the project and will be recast. Female lead Anna Wood, as well as Ato Essandoh, Phillipa Soo, Raffi Barsoumian are staying. Marc Webb directed the pilot.

- "Fam", from Corinne Kingsbury, stars Nina Dobrev ("The Vampire Diaries") as a young woman whose dreams of an upstanding life with her new fiancé and his upstanding family are dashed when her younger train wreck half-sister comes to live with her to escape their train wreck of a father.
Tone Bell, Odessa Adlon, Brian Stokes Mitchell and Sheryl Lee Ralph co-star. Scott Ellis directed.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 06:36 PM.

#3 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:03 PM

UPDATE:

CBS is getting into business and has made some decisions.

First, the bad news:

Team Scorpion will stay disbanded - for good.

CBS has officially canceled "Scorpion" today after four seasons. The series finale aired April 16.

On the other hand, the network has just renewed veteran procedure "Criminal Minds" for season 14, sitcom "Man With A Plan" for season 3, drama "Instinct" for season 2 and ensemble comedy "Life In Pieces" for season 4.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 12 May 2018 - 12:06 PM.

#4 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:28 PM

UPDATE:

CBS has also canceled sitcom "Superior Donuts" after two seasons.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 13 May 2018 - 12:48 AM.

#5 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

The Superior Donuts cancellation hurts because I loved that show. I truly thought it would get a third season.

Nice to see Instinct renewed.

I am surprised at Scorpion. I thought that was one of their better rated and reviewed shows.

None of the new shows have grabbed me, though I am basing that on just their descriptions. I might give Magnum, P.I. a chance.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#6 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:48 AM

UPDATE:

Holmes and Watson will stay on the case.

CBS has handed out a seventh-season renewal to its procedural drama "Elementary" starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu. The sixth season has recently started and will continue airing over the summer.

Meanwhile, the network has canceled sophomore sitcom "Kevin Can Wait" and freshman comedy "9JKL".

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 13 May 2018 - 12:53 AM.

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:28 AM

I read that part of the reason they kept Elementary is that it performs well overseas due to the characters' global recognition. Yet another reason why basic overnight ratings aren't as important as they used to be.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:33 AM

UDPATE:

File this under "no suprise there".

CBS has now officially canceled freshman series "Living Biblically" and "Wisdom of the Crowd". Both shows failed to perform for the network, and a renewal was not expected.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 13 May 2018 - 07:33 AM.

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 07:52 AM

So many cancelled shows I've never even heard of. There are so many networks and streaming services now that one can't pay attention to more than a fraction of what's out there.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#10 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,472 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:47 AM

IIRC, Living Biblically only aired 1 or 2 episodes before it got yanked, so it shouldn't be that surprising that it escaped detection.

/s/

Gloriosus
the G-man Himself
Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#11 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:51 AM

^^ Exactly.

The problem nowadays is that the networks don't cancel shows early much less often. They just yank it off the schedule or burn it off in unattractive timeslots. The official cancellation often comes no sooner than during the Upfronts in May.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:29 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 11 May 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

- "The Red Line",
Huh. I thought it would be about a day trip to Harvard Square.

View PostLambsilencer, on 13 May 2018 - 12:48 AM, said:

CBS has handed out a seventh-season renewal to its procedural drama "Elementary" starring Jonny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu.
This is good news. I've never seen the show, but i have a friend who likes it and he's already bummed enough about Once Upon A Time.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:06 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 May 2018 - 04:29 PM, said:

This is good news. I've never seen the show, but i have a friend who likes it and he's already bummed enough about Once Upon A Time.

It's worthwhile. Sure, it's Sherlock Holmes done as a standard murder-of-the-week procedural, but it's a good, smart procedural with really well-written characters and a really rich and effective take on Holmes and Watson's relationship. I prefer it to the other modern Holmes series, Sherlock. That show is like a little kid jumping up and down yelling "Look what I can do," while Elementary is the more mature, relaxed, self-assured version. Merely by virtue of having far more episodes, it's able to explore the characters in far greater depth.

Also, Ex Isle's old friend Robert Hewitt Wolfe has been one of the executive producers on Elementary for several years now, and he often does episodes that touch on cutting-edge science research and border on the science-fictional.

Facebook Author Page

#14 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,539 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 08:56 AM

Bummed about Scorpion and Superior Donuts.  Two of my favorites.  And Scorpion had such an interesting cast.
Cats will never be extinct!

#15 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostThemis, on 18 May 2018 - 08:56 AM, said:

Bummed about Scorpion and Superior Donuts.  Two of my favorites.  And Scorpion had such an interesting cast.

I didn't watch Scorpion regularly but when I did I liked what I saw. I really did figure it would last at least 5-7 seasons.

Superior Donuts was a favorite of mine as well. It had a great comedic cast and it was able to tackle tough subjects like police profiling and illegal immigration without being too preachy.

I am really happy to see Elementary renewed. I wasn't sure if it would be considering how it just started airing the sixth season now. I agree with what Christopher said about the show. It really is excellent.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#16 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 04:57 PM

UPDATE

Another belated verdict is in, and it's not good.

CBS has canceled its medical drama "Code Black" after three seasons.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,216 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 07:36 PM

Could not resuscitate.  :no:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users