22 replies to this topic

#1 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 01:25 AM

Hello Folks

And now here we go with ABC, who handed out two drama series orders today. One of them, technically, is old news.

"The Rookie", starring Nathan Fillion ("Castle"), was actually labeled a straight-to-series order back in October when ABC greenlit its pilot. But still, the network "officially" ordered the police drama today, since there was apparently an option to still pass on the project if things didn't fit. From "Castle" co-showrunner Alexi Hawley, is inspired by a true story. Fillion plays John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD. Starting over isn’t easy, especially for small town guy John Nolan who, after a life-altering incident, is pursuing his dream of being an LAPD officer. As the force’s oldest rookie, he’s met with skepticism from some higher-ups who see him as just a walking midlife crisis. If he can’t keep up with the young cops and the criminals, he’ll be risking lives including his own. But if he can use his life experience, determination and sense of humor to give him an edge, he may just become a success in this new chapter of his life.
Alyssa Diaz ("Zoo"), Richard T. Jones ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"), Mercedes Mason ("The Walking Dead"), Titus Makin, Melissa O'Neil, Afton Williamson and Eric Winter co-star.

There's already a teaser available. You can watch it here.

Another new show on ABC during the 2018-2019 season will be "A Million Little Things", the first drama project from comedy writer DJ Nash ("Growing Up Fisher", "Truth Be Told"). It features a star-studded ensemble that includes David Giuntoli ("Grimm"), Ron Livingston ("Loudermilk", "Search Party"), Romany Malco ("Weeds", "No Ordinary Family", Allison Miller (the upcoming second season of "13 Reasons Why", "Terra Nova"), Christina Marie Moses ("The Originals"), Christina Ochoa ("Blood Drive", "Valor"), James Roday ("Psych"), Stephanie Szostak and Lizzy Greene. Anne Son, who also had a lead role in the show, will be replaced. James Griffiths directed the pilot.
Described as being tonally akin to "The Big Chill", the plot revolves around a group of friends from Boston who bonded under unexpected circumstances. Some have achieved success, others are struggling in their careers and relationships, but all of them feel stuck in life. After one of them dies unexpectedly, it’s just the wake-up call the others need to finally start living. Along the way they discover that friends may be the one thing to save them from themselves. The tiles comes from the well-known saying that "friendship isn't a big thing, it's a million little things".

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 10 May 2018 - 01:31 AM.

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 08:49 AM

I'll probably give The Rookie a shot just because of Fillion.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 10 May 2018 - 11:12 AM

View PostLambsilencer, on 10 May 2018 - 01:25 AM, said:

Hello Folks

And now here we go with ABC, who handed out two drama series orders today. One of them, technically, is old news.

"The Rookie", starring Nathan Fillion ("Castle"), was actually labeled a straight-to-series order back in October when ABC greenlit its pilot. But still, the network "officially" ordered the police drama today, since there was apparently an option to still pass on the project if things didn't fit. From "Castle" co-showrunner Alexi Hawley, is inspired by a true story. Fillion plays John Nolan, the oldest rookie in the LAPD. Starting over isn’t easy, especially for small town guy John Nolan who, after a life-altering incident, is pursuing his dream of being an LAPD officer. As the force’s oldest rookie, he’s met with skepticism from some higher-ups who see him as just a walking midlife crisis. If he can’t keep up with the young cops and the criminals, he’ll be risking lives including his own. But if he can use his life experience, determination and sense of humor to give him an edge, he may just become a success in this new chapter of his life.
Alyssa Diaz ("Zoo"), Richard T. Jones ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles"), Mercedes Mason ("The Walking Dead"), Titus Makin, Melissa O'Neil, Afton Williamson and Eric Winter co-star.

There's already a teaser available. You can watch it here.

Greets
Lambsilencer

View PostVirgil Vox, on 10 May 2018 - 08:49 AM, said:

I'll probably give The Rookie a shot just because of Fillion.

Yep, this news was shared around the Dark Matter family a few months ago, when Melissa O'Neil (Two) was cast.  She gets to work with Nathan Fillion!  Woot!  :D

From what I recall, she is playing a fellow rookie, and possible love interest.

*goes to look at teaser*

Hmm, is that her at 0:03, to the left of Nathan, with lens flare partly blocking her face?  :lol:

SFG

Edited by Sci-Fi Girl, 10 May 2018 - 11:12 AM.

"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#4 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:35 AM

UPDATE:

ABC has given voice to more "Speechless".

The network has officially renewed the comedy for a third season.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:39 AM

^ Yay!  :D

SFG
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#6 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:45 PM

UPDATE:

ABC is cleaning house tonight.

The network has officially canceled "Designated Survivor" starring Kiefer Sutherland, after two seasons, as well as "Quantico", which is currently airing its third season.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#7 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:33 PM

UPDATE:

The news are better for freshman comedy "Splitting Up Together". The show, starring Jenna Fischer ("The Office") is officially renewed and will return for a second season.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#8 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Really hoping we get renewals for Agents of Shield, and also #kevinprobably!  :D  Fingers crossed!

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#9 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

UPDATE:

And two more verdicts are in.

ABC has officially renewed Shonda Rhimes drama "How To Get Away With Murder" for a fifth season. Also coming back is single-camera comedy "American Housewife".

On the other hand, comedy "Alex, Inc." is canceled after one season.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 05:06 PM.

#10 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:30 PM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 11 May 2018 - 04:50 PM, said:

Really hoping we get renewals for Agents of Shield, and also #kevinprobably!  :D  Fingers crossed!

Ack! I've been so stressing about getting the bandaid pulled on a likely cancellation of Timeless over in the NBC thread that I forgot to worry about Agents of SHIELD.  Here's hoping!
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#11 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:32 PM

Sorry, no word yet on those, but:

UPDATE:

More news flying in from ABC.

The network has renewed freshman legal drama "For The People" and firefighter drama "Station 19" for a second season each. Comedies "Fresh Off The Boat" and "Black-Ish" have both been renewed for fifth seasons.

Additionally, ABC has ordered three more dramas.

- "The Fix", from author and attorney Marcia Clark, stars Robin Tunney ("The Mentalist") as Maya Travis, an L.A. district attorney who suffers a devastating defeat when prosecuting an A-list actor (Adewale Akinnouye-Agbaje) for double murder. With her high-profile career derailed, she flees for a quieter life in Washington. Eight years later when this same celebrity is under suspicion for another murder, Maya Travis is lured back to the DA’s office for another chance at justice.
Adam Rayner ("Tyrant"), Merrin Dungey ("Alias"), Breckin Meyer ("Designated Survivor"), Marc Blucas ("Buffy The Vampire Slayer", "Necessary Roughness"), Alex Saxon ("The Fosters"), Scott Cohen ("Necessary Roughness") and Mouzam Makkar ("Champions") co-star. Larysa Kondracki directed the pilot.

- "Grand Hotel", executive produced by Eva Longoria ("Desperate Housewives"), is set at the last family-owned hotel in multicultural Miami Beach. Charismatic Santiago Mendoza owns the hotel, while his glamorous second wife, Gigi, and their adult children enjoy the spoils of success. The hotel’s loyal staff round out a contemporary, fresh take on an upstairs/downstairs story. Wealthy and beautiful guests bask in luxury, but scandals, escalating debt and explosive secrets hide beneath the picture-perfect exterior.
The cast includes Demian Bichir, Roselyn Sanchez, Denyse Tontz, Bryan Craig, Wendy Raquel Robinson, Lincoln Younes, Shalim Ortiz, Anne Winters, Chris Warren, Feliz Ramirez and Justina Adorno. The pilot was directed by Ken Olin ("Sleepy Hollow").

-"Whisky Cavalier", from Bill Lawrence and Dave Hemingson, is a high-octane, hour-long action dramedy that follows the adventures of tough but tender FBI super-agent Will Chase (codename: “Whiskey Cavalier”), played by Scott Foley ("Scandal", "The Unit"). Following an emotional break-up, Chase is assigned to work with badass CIA operative Francesca “Frankie” Trowbridge (codename: “Fiery Tribune”), played by Lauren Cohan ("The Walking Dead", "Supernatural"). Together, they lead an inter-agency team of flawed, funny and heroic spies who periodically save the world (and each other) while navigating the rocky roads of friendship, romance and office politics.
Ana Ortiz, Tyler James Williams and Vir Das co-star. Peter Atencio directed the pilot.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 07:44 PM.

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,792 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Add my fingers to SHIELD.  Crossed, I mean.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:06 PM

UPDATE:

ABC is pretty much slaughtering its roaster at the moment.

The network has also canceled "Kevin Probably Saves The World", "Marvel's Inhumans", "The Crossing", "Ten Days in the Valley" and comedy "The Mayor".

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 06:14 PM.

#14 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

• Islander
  • 4,928 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Aahh shoot!

I guess Shield is still in the running?

SFG

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#15 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:11 PM

^^ I just got word that "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is still in contention, yes. The verdict is expected "in the coming days", so, probably not tonight.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#16 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,784 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:44 PM

Hm, The Crossing's done already, huh? I was on the verge of giving up on it anyway. It had potential that it didn't really live up to, and a certain lack of focus and consistency, as if it were being retooled on the fly.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#17 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:55 PM

UPDATE:

ABC apparently has room for two more comedies.

"The Kids Are Alright", based on the childhood of writer/producer Tim Doyle, is an ensemble comedy set in the 1970s that follows a traditional Irish-Catholic family, the Clearys, as they navigate big and small changes during one of America’s most turbulent decades. In a working-class neighborhood outside Los Angeles, Mike and Peggy raise eight boisterous boys who live out their days with little supervision. The household is turned upside down when oldest son Lawrence returns home and announces he’s quitting the seminary to go off and “save the world.” Times are changing and this family will never be the same. There are 10 people, three bedrooms, one bathroom and everyone in it for themselves.
Michael Cudlitz, Mary McCormack, Sam Straley, Caleb Martin Foote, Sawyer Barth, Christopher Paul Richards, Jack Gore, Andy Walken and Santino Barnard star. Randall Einhorn directed the pilot.

- "Single Parents", from JJ Philbin and Liz Meriwether ("New Girl") follows a group of single parents as they lean on each other to help raise their 7-year-old kids and maintain some kind of personal lives outside of parenthood. The series begins when the group meets Will (Taran Killam), a 30-something guy who’s been so focused on raising his daughter that he’s lost sight of who he is as a man. When the other single parents see just how far down the rabbit hole of PTA, parenting and princesses Will has gone, they band together to get him out in the dating world and make him realize that being a great parent doesn’t mean sacrificing everything about your own identity.
Leighton Meester, Kimrie Lewis, Jake Choi, Marlow Barkley, Tyler Wladis, Devin Trey Campbell, Grace Hazelett, Sadie Hazelett and Brad Garrett star. The pilot was directed by Jason Winer.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 07:00 PM.

#18 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 07:45 PM

UPDATE I've added the descriptions to three ordered ABC shows. Click here to go to the respective post.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 11 May 2018 - 07:45 PM.

#19 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:00 PM

View PostChristopher, on 11 May 2018 - 06:44 PM, said:

Hm, The Crossing's done already, huh? I was on the verge of giving up on it anyway. It had potential that it didn't really live up to, and a certain lack of focus and consistency, as if it were being retooled on the fly.

Ditto.  I was engaged enough that I would probably have stuck with it through the end of the season and seen if they found a big enough hook to keep me interested as a finale, but I'm not too disappointed to have an excuse to drop it from my DVR lineup.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#20 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,784 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:13 PM

View PostNiko, on 11 May 2018 - 09:00 PM, said:

Ditto.  I was engaged enough that I would probably have stuck with it through the end of the season and seen if they found a big enough hook to keep me interested as a finale, but I'm not too disappointed to have an excuse to drop it from my DVR lineup.

Funny, I feel the opposite. I didn't feel motivated to keep watching in the long term, but if there are only a few episodes left, I might be more likely to stick around to the end. Although I'm not sure. There have been 6 episodes to date; if the season is 13 episodes, that might be too long to be worth it.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users