17 replies to this topic

#1 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:32 AM

Hello Folks

Syfy has officially announced that the currently airing third season of its drama "The Expanse" is the last.

"'The Expanse' transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television. Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision," said Chris McCumber, entertainment network president at NBCU Cable Entertainment in a statement. "We want to sincerely thank 'The Expanse’s' amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

Greets
Lambsilencer

#2 Sci-Fi Girl

Sci-Fi Girl

Help me save Dark Matter!

• Islander
  • 4,822 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:38 AM

Yep, as I said in another thread:

Evil "SyFy" has just shot another of its own racehorses before the finish line.  They cancelled The Expanse.  How does anyone even still watch that channel, and expect any stories to be allowed to actually finish?

View PostLambsilencer, on 11 May 2018 - 09:32 AM, said:

Hello Folks

Syfy has officially announced that the currently airing third season of its drama "The Expanse" is the last.

"'The Expanse' transported us across the solar system for three brilliant seasons of television. Everyone at Syfy is a massive fan of the series, and this was an incredibly difficult decision," said Chris McCumber, entertainment network president at NBCU Cable Entertainment in a statement. "We want to sincerely thank 'The Expanse’s' amazing cast, crew and all the dedicated creatives who helped bring James S.A. Corey’s story to life. And to the series’ loyal fans, we thank you most of all.”

Greets
Lambsilencer

To the bolded: what a bunch of freaking bleeping idiots!  :facepalm-f7e:

SFG :sarcasm:
"A song is like a picture of a bird in flight; the bird was moving before the picture was taken, and no doubt continued after."   - Pete Seeger

Pete Seeger's life was a picture of an idea in flight, and the idea will continue long after.  As long as there are people with goodness and courage in their hearts, the idea will continue forever.

Posted Image   Posted Image

Check out my music threads:

Beautiful Music: Folk, Acoustic, Traditional, and World

A Celebration of Song Lyrics, New and Old: Just the poetry  (to include those with different musical tastes than me)

When Sci Fi Actors Sing

#3 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 09:55 AM

I have no words.
Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 10:53 AM

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 11 May 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

Evil "SyFy" has just shot another of its own racehorses before the finish line.  They cancelled The Expanse.  How does anyone even still watch that channel, and expect any stories to be allowed to actually finish?

Come on. TV networks don't cancel shows because they're "evil." They cancel them because making TV costs money, and if a network doesn't make enough money from a show, it can't afford to keep making it, no matter how much it wants to. In this case, Syfy just couldn't keep the show because their contract didn't give them the digital/streaming rights, so they couldn't offset the cost of airing it. It's just business.

And many Sci-Fi/Syfy shows have completed their runs as intended. Killjoys was guaranteed a 4th and 5th season to complete its run at the same time Dark Matter was cancelled (with the difference, again, coming down to differences in the contracts that made it easier for Syfy to afford keeping KJ than DM). 12 Monkeys' final season will be airing soon, even if Syfy has rushed through the releases. Eureka and Warehouse 13 were able to complete their runs, with Eureka even being granted a bonus episode to wrap up loose ends. Canadian imports like Continuum and Lost Girl have been aired to completion. Every network cancels shows; Syfy does it no more often than anyone else. No show on any network is guaranteed the chance to complete its run. But a lot of them do.

The fact is, 3 years is a better-than-average run for a TV series. The majority of shows on any network get cancelled after 1-2 seasons -- though it often feels to us like longer shows are the norm because the numerous short-lived ones leave little impression. I did the math last year, and found that fewer than half of Syfy/Sci-Fi's shows over the history of its existence have made it to a third season. Fewer than 30% have made it to four seasons, and none have ever run for more than 5 original seasons on the network itself (the only longer-running shows they've aired are ones they've acquired from other networks -- e.g. Stargate SG-1 ran for 5 seasons each on Showtime and Sci-Fi).

Besides, I gather that The Expanse is still fully funded by its production company. Their ability to keep making the show does not require Syfy's participation. The show just needs to find a new home, that's all.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,965 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:48 PM

Fans have to take control of the futures of these projects by financing them directly. If you value it, you should be willing to pay for/support it.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:47 PM

^^  I agree with that. It can, and has, happened several times. I think creators should keep future crowdfunding possibilities in mind when negotiating contracts. Some properties, like Dark Matter, could have survived if not for contractual stipulations.

View PostSci-Fi Girl, on 11 May 2018 - 09:38 AM, said:

It's all about the Benjamins. They renewed Z Nation, even though its ratings are miniscule because it costs next to nothing, and I think they own it, so it's profitable.  It's also the only thing left that I watch on Sciffy. I have no idea what their schedule even looks like anymore.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:07 PM

Individual shows come and go, but Syfy's lineup these days is strong overall, with some terrific shows like The Magicians and Killjoys and reasonably good ones like 12 Monkeys. Krypton has turned out to be unexpectedly good, though I'm concerned about its renewal chances. So the loss of one or two shows doesn't mean the network isn't still committed to quality programming overall.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#8 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:20 AM

Gah. "The Expanse" is currently the only show for which I have fannish feelings. Love the storytelling. It's diverged from the books, but since the bookwriting duo that makes up James S. A. Corey is involved in production, I have hope they know what they're doing and where they're going. Corey said on Twitter that S3 has been set up so it could come to a natural end if no one else picks up the show. If no one does, I'll miss the bleep out of it, but then I could focus on the books, so there's always that.

I find it odd that renewal was made to rely on first-night viewing figures. That doesn't work so well any longer, with so many watching later. I binge-watched Expanse S1 on DVD, forgot to watch S2 on SyFy until the last two eps of S2, binge-watched that later on DVD, and am probably part of the problem, though I'm watching S3 as it goes out.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#9 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

I couldn't get into The Expanse but I'm sorry it was cancelled for the people who did like it.

Honestly, I'm just not feeling SyFy anymore. Before Krypton debuted, the only shows I watched were Dark Matter (which is now cancelled) and Killjoys. I did watch Z Nation but haven't kept up with it the last season or two.

I used to watch SyFy all the time. They had a lot of good shows and some cheesy but fun original movies.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,299 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:36 PM

The business side of it, as I understood, is that SyFy only has first run rights for The Expanse. That's no way to run a TV network these days. It seems to me that the Expanse was a loss-leader to regain audience trust, with a secondary hope that it would be a breakout success like Battlestar Galactica. But it wasn't and now it's no longer cost effective to run it. It's too bad, but I didn't know the books before and now I do. Will read them, since book 1 was fantastic.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 12 May 2018 - 06:36 PM, said:

The business side of it, as I understood, is that SyFy only has first run rights for The Expanse. That's no way to run a TV network these days. It seems to me that the Expanse was a loss-leader to regain audience trust, with a secondary hope that it would be a breakout success like Battlestar Galactica. But it wasn't and now it's no longer cost effective to run it.

That's an interesting and very credible analysis. Syfy has been trying to get back into space-based SF in the past few years after staying Earthbound for a while once Galactica, Caprica, and Stargate Universe ended. (Which many people mistake for the network drifting away from science fiction, but they still had plenty of Earthbound SF shows like Eureka, Alphas, Continuum, Defiance, etc.) So it makes sense that they'd be willing to gamble on a prestige hard-SF space opera as a way of rebuilding their reputation. But that was naturally going to be an expensive gamble. If anything, we're lucky it paid off as long as it did. As I mentioned before, fewer than half of Syfy's scripted dramas have ever made it to a third season.

Facebook Author Page

#12 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

I tried the first couple of episodes of The Expanse and couldn't really focus on it. I've tried Killjoys a few times, because a friend of mine likes it and I'd like to be able to talk to her about it, but not only is it painfully adolescent but it's the epitome of banal production standards (if that's not an oxymoron). Krypton looks awful. Nothing else looks interesting enough to try out.
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#13 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 05:00 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 13 May 2018 - 04:14 PM, said:

I tried the first couple of episodes of The Expanse and couldn't really focus on it.

It's nice to have a reasonably hard-SF show on the air, but I've never though it was really as great as it's hyped to be. It's a bit too self-indulgently dark -- more so than the books it's based on, I gather.

I've tried Killjoys a few times, because a friend of mine likes it and I'd like to be able to talk to her about it, but not only is it painfully adolescent but it's the epitome of banal production standards (if that's not an oxymoron).

It's got an attitude, sure, but it tells a complex, very cohesive story in a richly drawn universe, and the characters have some real depth and texture. Low budgets have been a reality of screen SF since the beginning, so I don't hold that against a show; if anything, I see it as a plus, because it requires shows to focus more on story, character, and ideas than action and spectacle.

Krypton looks awful.

It's actually surprisingly good, though it's not until halfway through that there's a major plot reveal that raises it to a whole new level. It's got a solid, mostly English cast (it's filmed in Belfast), imaginative "alien" production design, and well-done CGI cityscapes, and it uses familiar elements of DC mythology in unexpected and effective ways.

Facebook Author Page

#14 G-man

G-man

Is there a problem?

• 8,492 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:18 PM

Any word on any other SYFY Series for the upcoming year?

I stumbled across Nightflyers:

It seems to be George R.R. Martin’s take on the original Alien.

/s/

Gloriosus
The G-man Himself

Edited by G-man, 14 May 2018 - 12:18 PM.

Let me strive every moment of my life to make myself better and better, to the best of my ability, so that all may profit by it.
Let me think of the right and lend my assistance to all who may need it, with no regard for anything but justice.
Let me take what comes with a smile, without loss of courage.
Let me be considerate of my country, of my fellow citizens, and my associates in everything I say and do.
Let me do right to all, and wrong no man.
-- Doc Savage

Few people want to be moderated, most people see the need for everyone else to be moderated. -- Orpheus

#15 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostG-man, on 14 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

It seems to be George R.R. Martin’s take on the original Alien.

"Nightflyers" was originally a novella by Martin that was first published in the April 1980 Analog. In my experience with Analog, the date I've sold a story to them has typically been 8-10 months before the publication date, and it's generally taken at least 6 weeks to 2 months to get an acceptance after I submitted a story. Which suggests that Martin probably submitted the story to the magazine somewhere between April-July 1979 -- and Alien came out in May 1979. So Martin probably wrote or at least conceived of the story before Alien came out, unless he's a really fast writer -- and I think most Game of Thrones fans would find that unlikely.

Besides, Alien was just a sci-fi riff on a haunted house movie, and has often been compared to earlier works such as the movie It: The Terror from Beyond Space, A.E. Van Vogt's novel The Voyage of the Space Beagle, and even Doctor Who's "The Ark in Space." Alien's screenwriter Dan O'Bannon has acknowledged that H.P. Lovecraft was an influence on the film, as indeed he has been on practically all horror fiction for generations. It's more likely that O'Bannon and Martin were just independently drawing on some of the same Lovecraftian tropes at around the same time. They'd hardly be the only two.

Edited by Christopher, 14 May 2018 - 01:56 PM.

Facebook Author Page

#16 3C273

3C273
  • Islander
  • 343 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 02:13 PM

My husband and I will miss The Expanse.  For us, it is the best science-fiction on tv currently.

#17 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:43 PM

View PostG-man, on 14 May 2018 - 12:18 PM, said:

I don't remember ever reading this, but Martin is usually pretty good.  I would have much preferred that they used his Haviland Tuf stories as the basis for a series, though.

#18 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 05:34 PM

UPDATE:

Amazon is stepping in. Read all about it in this thread.

Greets
Lambsilencer

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users