• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:42 PM

The team partners with Harriet Tubman to thwart Rittenhouse's plan to alter the outcome of the Civil War.

Jiya escapes from Rittenhouse but is stranded in 1888 with no way home; the fractured team goes back to save her.

This is it:  The two-hour season finale. Hopefully not the series finale.  Take Sci-Fi Girl's advice and watch the show live, or at least keep it on in the background.  Every little bit helps.  :thumbs-up:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#2 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 10:17 PM

Okay, what's the deal with Susanna Thompson playing lead characters' mothers who get killed off after two seasons? First Arrow, now this.

Anyway, Emma's move there was totally unexpected. I thought she was going to switch sides and help the heroes against Rittenhouse. Instead she's staged a coup.

And the fact that WWI granddad Rittenhouse boss guy went down like such a chump just underlines what a weak bad guy he's been, never really emerging from blandness. And whatever happened to that supposedly amazing mural depicting all of Ritt's master plan? It was set up as if it were some major element of the season arc, and then it was never mentioned again. I complained on another board at the time that it felt like a hollow gesture pretending to be important, and it was suggested that its importance would probably become clearer in retrospect. And it turned out to be just as hollow as I thought.

I wasn't crazy about how the last hour went down, all that gunplay and killing and tragedy and grief and bitterness. And I couldn't believe they'd kill off Rufus. He's the heart of the show in more ways than one, and I was thinking that I wouldn't want it to be renewed without him. But then that last twist happened -- I guess I should've seen something like it coming. So... future selves? Or alternate timeline?
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#3 Cybersnark

Cybersnark

NERV wants YOU!

• Islander
  • 2,546 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:27 AM

It aired 15 minutes late in my market. The PVR did not adjust for that, so I'm lucky I decided to catch it live. One last attempt by the network to sabotage a show they don't want?

(Also, Canada's CTV only aired "The General," with "Chinatown" presumably following next week. Be advised when posting/reading spoilers.)
"Hilarity ensues." --Seamus Harper

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 11:32 AM

View PostCybersnark, on 14 May 2018 - 09:27 AM, said:

It aired 15 minutes late in my market. The PVR did not adjust for that, so I'm lucky I decided to catch it live. One last attempt by the network to sabotage a show they don't want?

Was there a storm warning in your area? The show was delayed for me too, and I suspect there must've been a 15-minute weather emergency report in the previous hour. It used to be that that would just pre-empt the regular programming, but apparently these days the programming is just paused for as long as the report goes on.

And if NBC didn't want the show, they wouldn't have given it a second season in the first place. Everyone keeps assuming that networks only cancel shows out of malice or neglect, forgetting that it costs lots of money and is an enormous gamble to put a show on the air. Think about your own decisions about what to spend money on. You may really want a nice new car, but if it costs more than you can spare, then you can't buy it. And by the same token, a network can't buy a show it wants if it costs them too much. NBC did want Timeless, despite its disappointing ratings, and they found a way to keep it for a second season by reducing its budget -- moving it to Vancouver, putting the team in a less elaborate set, making fewer episodes, etc. But just wanting a third season won't be enough if the ratings aren't good enough to pay for the show.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#5 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 04:17 PM

I want spoilers, please.  I was watching the CBS shows and recording Timeless so of course I missed the last 15 minutes.  Yeah, I could get On Demand but I'd have to watch the whole show since you can't fast forward so can somebody please post what happened in the last 15 mins.?  Thanks!
Cats will never be extinct!

#6 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 05:48 PM

I probably won't get to see the whole thing for a couple of days, so you'll probably know before I do.  :D
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#7 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,588 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:07 PM

Was there a storm warning in your area? The show was delayed for me too, and I suspect there must've been a 15-minute weather emergency report in the previous hour. It used to be that that would just pre-empt the regular programming, but apparently these days the programming is just paused for as long as the report goes on.

The golf tournament NBC was airing till 7 ran overtime so their entire ET schedule started fifteen minutes late.

I want spoilers, please.

Here you go
Spoiler

Nothing succeeds like excess.

#8 Themis

Themis
  • Islander
  • 6,540 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:23 AM

So time-wimey reset?  Thanks, Cardie!
Cats will never be extinct!

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,717 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 12:58 PM

View PostThemis, on 16 May 2018 - 09:23 AM, said:

So time-wimey reset?  Thanks, Cardie!

Not yet, at least. Just the promise of one if there's a third season.

Facebook Author Page

#10 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,427 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 06:10 PM

Okay, I finally got to watch the whole two hours.

And I deem it quite good.  There was certainly a lot to love. If not for that final moment, whether it turns out to be a cliffhanger or twist ending, my opinion might be slightly different.  But there was a lot of great stuff here.

Everybody got their moment to shine.  Wyatt dealing with his guilt over Jessica, honorably making no excuses; Lucy dealing with her mother's unrepentant death and pulling the trigger on Emma; Rufus damning the torpedoes and going after Jiya even though he knew he would almost certainly die; Connor musing over his changing priorities and fixing the ancient lifeboat, Flynn, exposing, for a moment, his feelings for Lucy; Jiya-- well, Jiya deserves her own paragraph, and not just because I have a crush on her; and Agent Christopher, who got to knit a scarf-- well, okay, she got to shine in a previous episode.

The first half was a fairly typical time adventure, back to the Civil War. For a while, I thought that Harriet Tubman would turn out to be a time traveler, since her speech patterns were so remarkably 21st century and her posturing so movie macho that it was almost tiresome. But then, interestingly, it turns out that she has visions just like Jiya and Hospital Bed Guy. How did she come upon that gift without a time machine?  Perhaps she was taken on a time trip at some point earlier in her life. But this plants a seed for future revelations, should the show survive.

But then in the second hour, things really take off.  Jessica shows her true colors, and kidnaps Jiya, hijacking the lifeboat at gunpoint. Hah! Only a fool would underestimate Jiya to such a degree.  Even drugged, she manages to escape, killing her guard-- a traumatic experience for someone such as her who has no inclination to violence, but one she has no time to dwell on-- and singlehandedly rescues the lifeboat under fire. Wow. Sadly, the lifeboat is damaged and she cannot pilot it home, and she is trapped in the 1880s.  "She's LOST IN TIME!" is such as classic Pulp line. :D  But no problem.  She hides the lifeboat and sends a message across the decades in Klingon and then settles down to live out her life in Chinatown as a card dealer, casually snapping wrists when someone misbehaves-- all in the hope of saving Rufus's life.  Who's the star of this show?

But developments happen. The Time Team is not going to abandon Jiya, so back they go, encountering yet again the Evil Leapers-- but Emma's had enough of being second fiddle and kills Lucy's Mom and Granpa Rittenhouse, who was pretty much a pathetic loser and not much of a Big Bad anyway. And, against all odds, Jiya saves Rufus-- only to see him shot dead by Emma, as foreshadowed by that Salem Witch Trial episode.

So when the dust settles, Jessica has escaped, apparently pregnant for real, Emma, wounded but alive, also escapes, now apparently in control of whatever is left of Rittenhouse, although she'll probably rename it to whatever her own last name is, Wyatt is humbled greatly but still in love with Lucy, Jiya is righteously angry with everyone.  And everyone, especially Connor, is heartbroken-- because Rufus is stone cold dead.

And then, in the final seconds, everything changes-- we get a second lifeboat!  Is it the 130-year-old one refurbished, or a new one?  Dunno.  But, as also foreshadowed, there's a way for people to exist more than once in the same time period, because from out of the second lifeboat emerge future versions of Wyatt and Lucy-- on a mission to recruit their past selves to save Rufus.

I'm not optimistic that the show will be renewed, but at least that climactic scene leaves us on a hopeful note.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users