The Expanse season 3

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:06 AM

Was curious if anyone is watching season 3 at the moment.
Im finding this season to be the most exciting and action packed, although this is probably due to the fact that the majority of the main characters have met up as a group aboard the Roci with fewer separate plot threads to follow as everything has become pretty focused on stopping the war and pursuing the protomolicule.
“Is that not blasphemy? Defying the will of the Covenant?’

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#2 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

Behavior is not reproducible over multiple trials.

• Islander
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

I am watching. I've been enjoying the series from the beginning. Not sure I see this season as better. I've been a little worn down by the relentlessness of war. Of course, that's the point, but it's hard going.

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#3 FarscapeOne

FarscapeOne
  • Islander
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:49 AM

I have.  I really love this show, and am very sad this is the last season.

#4 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 03:53 PM

I know I only just heard today as have been quite busy lately, I was pretty much "NOOOOOOOOOO Its just getting started!"
Fingers crossed that Netflix or Amazon pick this up.

‘No,’ said the captain. ‘It was a tactical retreat in the face of overwhelming boredom.”
The First Heretic

#5 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,583 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:23 PM

I hope someone does pick it up, although I would like the warring powers to reach a truce and unite to combat the threat from whatever intelligence is guiding the protomolecule. I do miss Miller, though.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#6 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 02:15 AM

Sadly humanities efforts to deal with the protomolicule is largely short sighted, muddled and inept even after it completes its 'work' which I can't wait to see. Hopefully we will get to see it by the end of the season.

The First Heretic

#7 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

View PostCardie, on 15 May 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

I hope someone does pick it up, although I would like the warring powers to reach a truce and unite to combat the threat from whatever intelligence is guiding the protomolecule.

I gather (at second hand) that one of the producers has said the season has a conclusion that wraps things up reasonably well, that could somewhat work as either a season or a series finale, rather than being a huge mid-story cliffhanger like the previous two finales. Maybe they were aware that renewal was iffy.

Edited by Christopher, 16 May 2018 - 07:49 AM.

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#8 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:12 AM

View PostCardie, on 15 May 2018 - 11:23 PM, said:

I hope someone does pick it up, although I would like the warring powers to reach a truce and unite to combat the threat from whatever intelligence is guiding the protomolecule. I do miss Miller, though.

Spoilers ahead for the books.....

Spoiler

Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#9 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 11:16 PM

I love this show, and will be sad to lose it, though there's that effort underway to get someone other than SyFy to carry it. However, there will eventually be nine books, with the eighth out late this year (and then the Corey duo will write a different series after that), so at least we'll get all of its original form.
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#10 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 04:24 PM

I'm so happy that Amazon picked up season 4. This season seemed a little hopeless to me, but they kicked it into high gear with the protomolecule's recreation of Miller, and the last episode was awesome. I'm curious to know how the cliffhanger works out, but even more curious to see if Holden really has the ability to communicate with the protomolecule, and what the heck the protomolecule is doing.

Also... love Amos. Deeply. LOL

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#11 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 June 2018 - 02:23 PM

View PostQueenTiye, on 02 June 2018 - 04:24 PM, said:

I'm curious to know how the cliffhanger works out, but even more curious to see if Holden really has the ability to communicate with the protomolecule, and what the heck the protomolecule is doing.

Also... love Amos. Deeply. LOL

QT

Think its more a case of Miller having highjacked some of the protomolecule's capabilities as it keeps killing him every time he exceeds his limitations, so he is trying to work around it. Its been a few years since I read the books but I recall him saying "I got no control Im just a sock puppet."

And who doesn't love Amos?

The First Heretic

#12 Cardie

Cardie

I'm a very *good* tailor

• Administrator
  • 22,583 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 01:10 AM

I haven't read the books, so just guessing, but it seems to me that the protomolecule is building a gateway to bring others from protomolecule galaxy/solar system into ours.
Nothing succeeds like excess.

#13 QueenTiye

QueenTiye

• Islander
  • 24,293 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:22 AM

That would be scary...

QT

Een Draght Mackt Maght

#14 Doppleganger

Doppleganger
  • Just Washed Ashore
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:56 PM

As they say 'It reaches out.'

The First Heretic

#15 The Tyrant

The Tyrant

R.I.P. Martin Landau

• Islander
  • 3,174 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:22 AM

From the books...

Spoiler

Hope springs eternal, and is eternally dashed

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Which is a problem....
if you're powerless." - Drago Museveni

'God is a comedian playing to an audience afraid to laugh' - Voltaire

'It's in your nature to destroy yourselves.' - the Terminator, about Humanity.

"Who knew the divine was such a dissolute, horny drunk?  Although that would explain a hell of a lot about this series... " - Christopher, about Battlestar Galactica

#16 Norville

Norville
  • Islander
  • 4,491 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:53 PM

SyFy played the last two episodes of S3 last night. That was an intense experience. I love this show. Really want S4 now. Don't want to watch it on Amazon for ethical reasons which probably don't make sense, since, if they release it on DVD, they'll probably be my source for it. *snort*

Yeah, I'm very fond of Amos, but I both love and hate the show for making us sympathize with a man who's very likely a psychopath, as his horrific childhood blew his moral compass to hell and he really doesn't experience human emotions. He does, however, very strongly believe that protecting children is important, and if someone proves themselves to be good by standards like that, he'll protect them, too. He didn't want to see Prax become like him, and he knows his inability to feel fear anymore isn't good. I really wasn't certain he accepted Naomi back, when she said she was back to stay and he turned his head away, but he was also wounded and feeling very ill, and wouldn't have been demonstrative anyway. But the way he stood by her in the finale, even if he gave her some ambivalent looks, suggest he's okay with her as an ally again. (I can't resist character analysis in his case.)
"The dew has fallen with a particularly sickening thud this morning."
- Marvin the Paranoid Android, "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Rules for Surviving an Autocracy
Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
http://www.nybooks.c...s-for-survival/

#17 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,661 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 07:49 PM

View PostNorville, on 28 June 2018 - 06:53 PM, said:

I really wasn't certain he accepted Naomi back, when she said she was back to stay and he turned his head away, but he was also wounded and feeling very ill, and wouldn't have been demonstrative anyway.

He said "Okay," which is as effusive an acceptance speech as he'd be likely to give. I took his looking away as merely being unease with her emotional speech about getting her family back, and his inability to feel anything as strongly. It wasn't that he rejected it, just that he had no response to it in the same terms. She's back; he's okay with that; and that's all he needs.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users