The Flash: We Are The Flash

The Flash CW DC

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 22 May 2018 - 09:17 PM

Team Flash gets help from a surprising ally in their battle against DeVoe (Neil Sandilands).

Read more: Listings - FLASH, THE on The CW | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutonc.../#ixzz5GHs8g3g1

"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#2 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:46 AM

Fairly satisfying conclusion to the season.   I'm glad we got Ralph back... Nice resolution of solving DeVoe by giving Ralph the opportunity to reclaim his body (and I assume DeVoe is still in there to cause trouble at a later date, yeah?)

I'm not sure how I feel about Harry's personality shift now that he's learned to balance his head and heart as part of the de-smartification.  It made for a heartwarming send-off, but part of his charm was the grumpy snarking back and forth with Cisco over the science stuff.  He can obviously still have plenty to contribute (as we saw with HR) but I'll miss his snark.  I wonder if we'll have a new version of him for next season?   Having a big farewell scene in these DC shows doesn't always mean as much as it might in other shows, with the way they cycle people in and out (Nice to see Wally at the end. :) ) and this season's return to "our" Harry was a nice change of pace, but I'd like to meet another new one (who'd presumably not be as over-the-top silly as the Council of Wells variants).  :)

Whoever did the casting for Nora... wow, she is SUCH a good fit for a cross between Iris and Barry, like you could almost point to what features she got from each of them.  Looking forward to finding out specifics of what she's been trying to fix.
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#3 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:04 AM

View PostNiko, on 24 May 2018 - 08:46 AM, said:

Fairly satisfying conclusion to the season.   I'm glad we got Ralph back... Nice resolution of solving DeVoe by giving Ralph the opportunity to reclaim his body (and I assume DeVoe is still in there to cause trouble at a later date, yeah?)

No, they pretty much said DeVoe couldn't survive if Ralph took control again. And DeVoe then uploaded his mind into the chair, which Marlize disabled.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#4 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:04 PM

It was a good finale. But I would have liked a bit more information about at what stage Caitlin is in getting back Killer Frost. I was hoping to get some sort of resolution to that part of the story, too. I think that Killer Frost is a vital and integral part of Cailtin and the show could really benefit from getting her back.

Greets
Lambsilencer

#5 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 05:17 PM

View PostLambsilencer, on 24 May 2018 - 05:04 PM, said:

It was a good finale. But I would have liked a bit more information about at what stage Caitlin is in getting back Killer Frost. I was hoping to get some sort of resolution to that part of the story, too. I think that Killer Frost is a vital and integral part of Cailtin and the show could really benefit from getting her back.

I guess the luxury of having a hit show is that you can seed things that won't pay off until the following season. Caitlin rediscovering her buried past is sure to be a major thread next year. And of course the whole thing with Nora was being seeded way back in the series premiere with Barry's weird phrases and writing. I'd expected that to be explained much earlier than it was. If anything, it's a little self-indulgent to set something up at the very start of season 4 when you know it won't come directly into play until season 5.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Facebook Author Page

#6 sierraleone

sierraleone

All things Great and Mischievous

• Islander
  • 9,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 08:47 PM

Didn't DeVoe's wife say something about that Barry tackling that satellite alone would or could kill him? If accurate that means Nora's has interfered with the timeline. Who was the person that was suppose to join or save Barry? If no one, and tackling the satellite should have killed Barry and Barry is Nora's father, Nora would already have to be conceived right? Or at the very least Barry has to have some frozen sperm somewhere ;) Unless she has ensure the proper continuity of the timeline as she knows it regarding the satelitte and the mistake she thinks she made was something else.

Edited by sierraleone, 24 May 2018 - 09:11 PM.

Rules for surviving an Autocracy:

Rule#1: Believe the Autocrat.
Rule#2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule#3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule#4: Be outraged.
Rule#5: Don't make compromises.
Rule#6: Remember the future.
- Masha Gessen
Source: http://www2.nybooks....r-survival.html

#7 Niko

Niko
  • Watchdog
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 24 May 2018 - 09:28 PM

Speaking of Caitlin/Killer Frost... were we supposed to "get" Cecile's little exorcist moment with Caitlin?  Something about having found "Thomas"?  I took that as probably Killer Frost speaking through Cecile, and more setup for next season, but wasn't sure if we're supposed to know who Thomas is?
- Whatsoever you do to the least of my people, that you do unto me.    (Matthew 25:40)

- Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck, Write them on the tablet of your heart.  (Proverbs 3:3)

#8 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:16 AM

I also thought this was overall a satisfying finale. I liked that it didn't follow the same beats as previous finales, mainly because the villain wasn't a speedster that needed Barry's speed and the way to defeat the villain wasn't Barry getting faster.

It was also nice that the set-up for the next season wasn't a result of Team Flash screwing something up. This time it was Barry and Iris' time traveling daughter who screwed things up.

Another nice change was seeing the heroes actually saving people. It feels like we get less of that nowadays. I thought it was a good sequence where all the heroes went out to stop the debris from destroying the city.

I get that Marlize redeemed herself at the end but I feel like maybe she got off too easy. She really only turned against DeVoe when he lost his emotions and no longer cared about her. Before that she was a willing accomplice to his crimes and that includes the murders of the bus metas.

Ralph being saved brought a smile to my face. I had my fingers crossed that he would be brought back somehow. I just hope he sticks around next season.

View Postsierraleone, on 24 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Didn't DeVoe's wife say something about that Barry tackling that satellite alone would or could kill him? If accurate that means Nora's has interfered with the timeline. Who was the person that was suppose to join or save Barry? If no one, and tackling the satellite should have killed Barry and Barry is Nora's father, Nora would already have to be conceived right? Or at the very least Barry has to have some frozen sperm somewhere ;) Unless she has ensure the proper continuity of the timeline as she knows it regarding the satelitte and the mistake she thinks she made was something else.

Honestly, I don't even try to wrap my head around the time travel mechanics on this show anymore. The rules make no sense and after the whole Savitar debacle last season I just gave up. Well, that and the fact that Reverse Flash is still somehow alive after dying multiple times and literally ceasing to exist when Eddie killed himself.

View PostNiko, on 24 May 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

Speaking of Caitlin/Killer Frost... were we supposed to "get" Cecile's little exorcist moment with Caitlin?  Something about having found "Thomas"?  I took that as probably Killer Frost speaking through Cecile, and more setup for next season, but wasn't sure if we're supposed to know who Thomas is?

I'm not sure. The name didn't sound familiar but that doesn't mean anything. He could have been referenced in an earlier episode or season.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#9 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,734 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 11:45 AM

View PostVirgil Vox, on 29 May 2018 - 11:16 AM, said:

I get that Marlize redeemed herself at the end but I feel like maybe she got off too easy. She really only turned against DeVoe when he lost his emotions and no longer cared about her. Before that she was a willing accomplice to his crimes and that includes the murders of the bus metas.

The Arrowverse is way too cavalier about letting murderers off the hook with a "Just don't do it again." Let's not forget that Harry outright murdered the Turtle back in season 2. And Dinah Drake/Black Canary on Arrow committed two revenge murders in her debut episode... and still ended up becoming a Star City police detective!

Ralph being saved brought a smile to my face. I had my fingers crossed that he would be brought back somehow. I just hope he sticks around next season.

I always expected him to be saved at the end; why else plot things so that DeVoe ended up inhabiting Ralph's body? As long as Ralph's physical body was alive, I knew they were leaving a door open for him to reclaim control of it.

But yeah, that doesn't guarantee he'll be back next year. I hope he will.

View Postsierraleone, on 24 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Honestly, I don't even try to wrap my head around the time travel mechanics on this show anymore.

Based on all the scenes this season of Nora hovering around and spying on the members of Team Flash, acting thrilled to meet them and such, I suspect that in the future she came from, Barry survived destroying the satellite but a lot of the other team members were killed. So Nora's ambiguous reactions to the others -- both enthusiastic about meeting them and having a secretive, ominous look on her face after they left -- could be explained if she was aware that they would soon be killed and was seizing the opportunity to be around them while she could. And when it came down to the moment that she had to watch them die, she couldn't go through with it and intervened to save them.

I'm not sure, though. It's plausible from a character standpoint, but not entirely from the logistical standpoint of how Barry survives the impact.

View PostNiko, on 24 May 2018 - 09:28 PM, said:

I'm not sure. The name didn't sound familiar but that doesn't mean anything. He could have been referenced in an earlier episode or season.

Pretty sure it's a setup for next season. The only characters named Thomas I can find in the Arrowverse Wiki are on other shows -- Tommy Merlyn and minor characters Thomas Flynn and Tom Weston on Arrow, Thomas Coville on Supergirl, Dr. Thomas Galen on Constantine. The only Thomases associated with The Flash are actors Tom Cavanaugh, Tom Felton, and Thomas Cadrot (who played Caitlin's mother's research assistant Nigel).

Facebook Author Page

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: The Flash, CW, DC

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users