7 replies to this topic

#1 Lambsilencer

Lambsilencer

Shh... the lambs are sleeping...

• Islander
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

Hello Folks

OK, I think this one deserves its own topic.

ABC has just announced that it has officially canceled its revived sitcom "Roseanne" after one season. The move comes after the show's star, Roseanne Barr, has issued a controversial Tweet with racist content.

The show, which was a ratings success in its first season, was expected to return in the new season - but no more.

“Roseanne’s Twitter statement is abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values, and we have decided to cancel her show,” ABC Entertainment chief Channing Dungey said in an official statement.

Earlier today, cast member Wanda Sykes had announced that she would not be returning to "Roseanne" for its second (or make that 11th) season after learning about Barr's racist slurs on Twitter.

Greets
Lambsilencer

Edited by Lambsilencer, 29 May 2018 - 01:20 PM.

#2 Virgil Vox

Virgil Vox
  • 4,904 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 02:06 PM

Not unexpected that Roseanne Barr would send out another racist, disgusting tweet. She did before the revival and of course she would after. The real surprise is that ABC cancelled the show. They had no problems with Roseanne's views and tweets before the show aired. They knew exactly what they were getting.

I can't say I will miss it. This new season didn't have the same spark that the old show had. It felt a little more mean-spirited. I also didn't like how everyone was in a much worse place than when the original show ended. I would have watched the next season to see if it improved but I won't be shedding any tears.

The inevitable conservative backlash is going to suck, though. President Trump had already politicized the show and it was hailed by many conservatives as being one of the few non-liberal shows on the air. This will just make conspiracy theories come out in full force like they did with Last Man Standing. You just know Fox News is going to harp on about this for weeks.
"You will give the people an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun. In time, you will help them accomplish wonders."
--Jor-El

It's a recession when your neighbor loses his job: it's a depression when you lose yours.
-- Harry S. Truman

#3 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 05:42 PM

Somebody has suggested that FOX will try to pick up the show.  We'll see.

In any case, this is hilarious.  I can't wait to see The Donald's incoherent tweeting.  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

#4 Christopher

Christopher
  • Demigod
  • 32,646 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 06:38 PM

View PostRJDiogenes, on 29 May 2018 - 05:42 PM, said:

Somebody has suggested that FOX will try to pick up the show.  We'll see.

I saw someone joke that Fox News could try to pick it up, but the FOX network generally doesn't have the same political bent. Besides, the show's own staffers were already starting to desert it even before the cancellation was announced, and now even the reruns of the revival have been pulled from several cable networks, and one is even dropping reruns of the original show. Barr is paying a steep price for her hate speech, and I don't think anyone in Hollywood is going to want to be associated with her, or at least to risk the PR nightmare of willingly associating someone who might go off on another racist tirade at any moment. So I don't think the show's coming back unless they somehow retool it without its title character.
"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right." -- xkcd

"The first man to raise a fist is the man who's run out of ideas." -- "H. G. Wells," Time After Time

Written Worlds -- My homepage and blog
Facebook Author Page

#5 M.E.

M.E.
  • Islander
  • 7,886 posts

Posted 29 May 2018 - 09:53 PM

Roseanne made a living from being sarcastic and salty, right from day one.

Learning how to think before you talk or post is actually an art form.  I guess it is something she never learned.

I know I'm certainly not very good at it.

#6 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:02 PM

ABC went into the venture with full knowledge of what could happen. It has been remarked that the allure of money was too much for them.

Either way, they gambled, the gamble paid off for a while, and they pulled out when the poo hit the fan, which no doubt was a contingency from the beginning.

The show had a lot of ignorant fans, the show profited off Barr's bigoted followers, bigotry killed the object of their hate-filled adulation.

Ironic justice if you ask me.
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#7 gsmonks

gsmonks

Tree Psychiatrist

• Islander
  • 4,910 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:15 PM

I've love Ambien's response:

“While all pharmaceutical treatments have side effects, racism is not a known side effect of any Sanofi medication.”
Capitalism is a pyramid scheme run by the 1%.

#8 RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes

Idealistic Cynic

• Demigod
  • 12,142 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

That cracked me up.  :laughtears:

Also kind of reminded me of that quote from the guy at CNN:  "Go home, 2018, you're drunk."  :lol:
Please visit The RJDiogenes Store. Posted Image   And my Gallery. Posted Image And my YouTube Page. Posted Image And read Trunkards. Posted Image  And then there's my Heroes Essays.  Posted Image

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users